Date: 26-04-24  Time: 09:16 am

Author Topic: downpipe nuts  (Read 4235 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
downpipe nuts
« on: 08 October 2011, 03:53:08 pm »
i think im going to have problems removing these nuts,they are in a bad way,are the studs prone to break?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: downpipe nuts
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2011, 07:12:56 pm »

mine weren't as bad as yours, granted, but they all came undone ok which surprised me as they didn't look as though they would.

i pre-warned my mechanic friend that i was going to be putting a socket
on them and asked about if it went wrong would i be in for a whole load of trouble? - he replied that it was not a problem if studs sheared.

i did liberally apply penetrating oil the day before, don't know how much difference it made.

good luck!

are you going to be cleaning / painting the front of the engine while the exhaust is off?
is it clean enough?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2011, 08:26:06 pm »
I have seen worse.
I think the studs are pretty good and although the nuts maybe screwed up i bet the come out if care is taken.

pre treat with a REAL penertraiting oil for as long as you can... weeks if possable lol
but due to the angles of the studs i doubt it will have a huge effect. but every little helps.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2011, 08:45:14 pm »
i will give it a clean up when the pipes are off and a lick of paint,i have aqquired an exup asm off ebay but as this will take a few weeks to come (from the states) i will leave the downpipes on for a bit longer and give them a bit more soaking with penetrating fluid

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2011, 08:34:04 am »
I took the rad off of one of mine that was almost the same as yours!
I wire brushed the excess rust off the nuts first & used 'DUCK OIL' which is an inexpensive penetrating oil that I have been using over 20 years now.
Female 'TORX' sockets are what I used to get a couple off as they were that corroded I could not get a standard metric sized 3/8's drive socket on them, but as has been said before ALL of them came off & the threads were fine.
P.S dont forget to clean the ports up with a small drill with a brush on as if it's not perfectly clean you will get a blow from the front pipes! (I learned the hard way :  /  )

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2011, 09:26:51 pm »
as i have to buy new nuts i am looking at stainless steel nuts on ebay,i have found some dome nuts,i was thinking that they will stop the studs from rusting,do you think they will look ok?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2011, 09:18:01 am »

they will look the nuts! for sure.

they will have to be long enough to tighten the collars sufficiently before doming out as it were. they don't have a high torque rating (surprisingly and thankfully) only 15lbft.

what's the link? it's a brilliant idea that i'd like to copy blatently if you don't mind.
is it clean enough?

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2011, 12:51:16 pm »
I changed mine for stainless dome nuts , got them from STAGONSET , they have a vast array of stainless fasteners , cheap and fast delivery . to ensure nuts didnt bottom out on tightening i used two stainless washers under each nut . hope this helps :)

they look loads better than the OE one's and protect the stus threads

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

they will look the nuts! for sure.

they will have to be long enough to tighten the collars sufficiently before doming out as it were. they don't have a high torque rating (surprisingly and thankfully) only 15lbft.

what's the link? it's a brilliant idea that i'd like to copy blatently if you don't mind.

here is the link on ebay for 10 nuts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370170347721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
Dont forget to put plenty of 'HIGH TEMP' anti seize paste/grease (not copper slip) on them or they will just seize up again!

nettshubby

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
Dont forget to put plenty of 'HIGH TEMP' anti seize paste/grease (not copper slip) on them or they will just seize up again!

Hi, I always thought Coppaslip WAS high temp grease. What is the difference, and what High temp paste do you use?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2011, 09:49:53 pm »

Hi, I always thought Coppaslip WAS high temp grease. What is the difference, and what High temp paste do you use?
Copaslip®Copaslip® (often misspelled as copperslip or coppaslip) - the original anti-seize compound. It is a very high temperature (up to 1100°C) anti-seize assembly compound, bentone based non-melt grease with copper, polybutene, and anti-corrosion additives.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2011, 05:50:45 pm »
i have bought some coma copper ease,it has a temperature range of -40 to +1150 degrees c so should be ideal for the exup valve,i have also bought some shock and unlock spray,it is suposed to be good for removing corroded nuts