Date: 26-04-24  Time: 19:51 pm

Author Topic: I want to do my own servicing and maintenance: which online resources?  (Read 2599 times)

darren_uk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm a commuter riding 45 miles/day since 5 months on a 2003 FZS600 (that I bought for the purpose: so bought it end April 2012)

I want to do my own maintenance and servicing.

Could you let me know your helpful online resources (e.g. the online equivalents of the Haynes manual)?   And should I get a Haynes manual for this bike?

I want to also slowly put a tool-kit together for this purpose:  can you help me with what I'd need and spanner sizes?   Also where to buy them / is Halfords an ok-place to buy?

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: I want to do my own servicing and maintenance: which online resources?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2012, 01:56:46 am »
I personally would buy the Haynes manual (or Clymer) - it'll cover most things.

As for spanner sizes, (I'm assuming you're just starting out) a normal 8mm - 19mm range of combination spanners (open at one end, with a ring on the other) will cover most things, a socket set covering those sizes is extremely useful too, and needn't be expensive. A 6 or 8 inch adjustable spanner comes in handy. Other useful items are screwdrivers, feeler gauges, and an oil filter wrench. If you plan on doing electrical work (some people just don't like touching electrical jobs), get a multimeter (basic digital ones can be had from a fiver or so). Also, get some Allen keys.

As you become more accustomed to doing your own jobs, you'll have a better idea of what tools you want / need - its easy to buy tools you don't really need and which never get used.

Halfords is usually a good bet, as are motor factors. Final point: stay away from the *very* cheap crap (buy cheap, buy twice) - half-decent stuff isn't usually cheap (although it needn't be bank-breaking expensive either), but will last longer.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2012, 02:01:31 am »
If you're not that experienced then def get a Haynes (there's another manual by Clymer which I've never seen - are they any good does anyone know?) and start with the easy stuff: oil and filter change for instance which, unless you're a complete dunce, should be a doddle - and work your way up so to speak.

Tool wise; Halfrauds do a (50 piece?) socket set which you can usually find on special offer and is a good place to start - then gradually build on it as and when you need stuff - oil filter wrench when you do an oil and filter change for example.

There are plenty on here with lots of experience in ruining a perfectly good bike by trying to service it themselves so don't be afraid to ask  :D
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2012, 06:53:52 am »
All the above, plus copper grease to be put on the majority of bolts that are removed for easier removal in the future..........oh, and elbow grease  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2012, 07:10:21 am »
Halfords advanced gear is life guaranteed, I got the 150 pc kit for 99 a few years ago, as good as the snap on and MAC stuff I bought years ago at quadruple the price years ago. only the moving parts are not guaranteed. There's usually deals on the mail outs and website.
Additionally, get a decent breaker bar and if possible a carbtune and chain riveter if ye want to go mad but these things can be requested if ye know the right people.

Buy a haynes.

Use the search function here and at www.fazerowners.Yuku.com

That should fix you up for all but the biggest or more custom jobs.

Enjoy
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2012, 09:30:31 am »
As well as the search have a look through our articles for the FZS600 and For Any Bike.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2012, 10:31:47 am »
As said by others Buy the best you can afford-cheaper in the long run but only buy what you need. Halfords "Professional" spanners/sockets good quality& available individually. The good thing about Haynes manual is it gives step by step instructions with photos-also torque settings for the various fasteners. Get a decent torque wrench with a range suitable for motorcycles.
You will learn a lot & save a small fortune in the process. If youre unsure about eg working on brakes theres plenty of helpful people on this site. Take your time & as youre using bike for daily commuting dont start a job that cant be finished-ie make sure you get all the bits you need before the shops shut! bitter experience! :eek

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2012, 10:46:53 am »
There is an electronic copy of the Haynes manual available on the site for free it is here: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=22

I find this useful for just referencing things but realistically a hard copy may be more suitable - its easier to flick through to find what you want.

Also, just to say that I agree with the above sentiments about tools - buy from a decent manufacturer. For example, I have a couple of tools that came from Rolson which are pretty crap but they were very cheap. On the other hand, my Halfords and Draper stuff is awesome. I've inherited several Draper bits from my dad which are older than me and they still work perfectly :) In my opinion, spending more for quality is worth it

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2012, 11:48:05 am »
a general set like that has pretty much all you'll need. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215 that and a good set of screwdrivers and you'll be able to most service things.

but a bit of a warning if you're totally new to servicing stuff then there is a learning curve and you're pretty much guaranteed to break things. maybe the odd rusty bolt or rounding of a screw. that's annoying and can cause big trouble but its part of learning. but some people just aren't suited to fixing stuff at all and seem to break things just by looking at them. there's nothing wrong with that so long as you know where to draw the line and say right well i'm doing more damage than good so i'll stop. having said that a bit of common sense goes a long way and if you take you're time and start off with small jobs and build you're skills up slowly you should be grand and you'll end up with a bike that's on the money hopefully :)

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2012, 12:31:11 pm »
All my mechanical knowledge is self taught. As said before, the right tool makes a LOT of difference in how hard the job is. I've used basic sets in the past and personally found anything other than the very cheapest tools are more than ok for most jobs. The best advice is read the haynes manual, make sure you understand the concept of what you need to do before you do it, and be prepared to make mistakes, that's the best way to learn fast!

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2012, 06:44:34 pm »
also be prepared for some seized nuts bolts etc and if possible plan ahead and try clean up(wire brush/wheel)and soak in good pentrating oil,a small blow torch also can help free off stubborn fixings but obiviously be carefull where your pointing the flame !