Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:42 am

Author Topic: Ivanised  (Read 5276 times)

nettshubby

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ivanised
« on: 08 October 2011, 12:14:14 pm »
Hi all, swapped my BMW 850R a while back for a 2004 FZS 1000. Just joined this group and After reading various postings on here and other Fazer sites, I wondered if there is any way I can tell, externally, if my bike has been "Ivanised?"
The reason I ask is, although it seems to perform very well, on startup I don`t need the choke with throttle shut. If I put the choke on I have to give it some throttle to start.
I am given to understand that as standard, these bikes are, if anything, a bit on the weak side when cold.
I don`t want to start stripping the carbs to see if it`s been "done", so I wondered if installers usually mark the carbs in some way to say if it`s been converted.
Ray.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ivanised
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
I asked the same question a year or so ago.....apparently not but Mike will be along soon to confirm.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2011, 01:12:21 pm »
Check the carb needles, originals have no provision to change the needle height, hasn't got multiple slots for the 'E' clip.

pic from http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetkitinstallation.html

Cannot tell from the outside only other sign could be a modified air filter lid if it has full monty.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2011, 01:24:52 pm by karlo »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2011, 05:24:41 pm »
Check the carb needles, originals have no provision to change the needle height, hasn't got multiple slots for the 'E' clip.

pic from http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetkitinstallation.html

Unfortunately that doesn't apply to UK/Euro Fazers, only to the US models which have a single e-clip groove mandated by federal law.

However, you can check the needle as Karlo suggested and if you find SD-129 or SD-130 stamped around the top of the needle, it's an original Yamaha part.

Ivan's needles have 5 e-clip grooves.  For 2004 model with 3mm nylon needle spacers, the e-clip should be on the 2nd groove from the top.  Ivan's needles also have a couple of visible variations in the taper, notably toward the last 15mm of the needle.

Another clue will be that the throttle slide spring will have been shortened.  You'll find in that case that one of the ends is bent over slightly whereas the uncut end will be finished in a complete circle.

nettshubby

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2011, 11:01:40 am »
OK, thanks for that. On a similar note, re country of origin, mine does not have provision to turn off the lights, as I would expect for a USA model. Are UK models the same?

Ray.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2011, 11:26:57 am »
The UK fazer 2004 doesn't have a switch for the headlights. The first models 2001.. might have had a switch, but all yamaha's now have lights on all the time with no switch.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
Ray my 2001 Y plate is the same. Normal on/off switch for headlights, no choke needed for "initial" start up but then required until warm in order for engine to tick over. I don't think there are any modifications to mine other than an end can but will know for sure over the winter months when I fit an Ivan's jet kit. Mine has done 20K miles for what it's worth.

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2011, 03:27:46 pm »
Simplest way to tell. Ride on a steady throttle just a smidges below 3000 rpm and repeat at 4500rpm. If it surges at 3000 and vibrates at 4500 then it's not been done. If it's smooth all the way it almost definitely has.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.