Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:08 am

Author Topic: Bike won't start - my electrics have left me  (Read 8410 times)

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
    • www.penrosewatkins.co.uk
Bike won't start - my electrics have left me
« on: 22 September 2012, 05:09:58 pm »
Hi all, went out of the bike today with no problem, came back turned bike off and decided to go back out, so ignition on press start & CLICK & the all the lights went out. Turned the ignition on & off several times & kill switch but still no electrics at all.

Put the bike in the garage & tried once more & the ignition switch worked with the instrument & neutral light came on, pressed the start button & click & no more electrics & haven't had them since.

Checked the 30 A switches on the start relay & they both look intact. Can some one give me some guidance on what I should be checking next?

The one thing that I haven't mentioned was that I fitted a Acumen gear indicator this morning with the correct plug in loom, but this was working o.k. when I was out.

Cheers.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Bike won't start - my electrics have left me
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2012, 05:24:01 pm »
Flat battery? Do you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted? Are you riding regularly in daylight?-enough to put some juice into Battery- check first-see if it will hold a charge & measure voltage across terminals. If this doesnt solve problem-check alternator providing charging current to battery. Check all connectors for cleanliness/security(electrical contact cleaner & ACF 50 all connectors & switches).
Dont think the Acumen Digigear will be the problem but you can bypass the supplied loom and reconnect original 16 pin connector to back of instruments. I fitted one to my bike & its fine! No more 7th gear! :lol [size=78%] [/size]

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2012, 05:33:01 pm »
No alarm / immobiliser fitted & the Battery has been fine. There is no electrics at all when I turn the ignition on not even the instruments lights coming on - completely dead!!. My experience is that even with a depleted battery the lights usually come on.

I have not lights or the usual sounds from the fuel pump priming or the exup valve doing its thing that I would normally get.

The bike started & ran fine today & has been started several times when fitting the digigear.

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2012, 05:37:41 pm »
check all ya earthing straps ;)

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2012, 06:23:59 pm »
Just checked the ignition again and the clocks lit up but when i pressed the starter button the same click. Seems to be coming from the area of the starter relay under the seat.

Could a faulty starter relay be the cause of the complete lack of electrics?

Even when the clocks light up as normal I am stilling not getting the usual activity from the fuel pump & exup with the kill switch on that I normally would

I have now connected the optimate to the battery just to see if a newly charged battery will make any difference.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2012, 08:52:26 pm »
Don't assume that it's not the battery.  The symptoms point firmly to it.

When it's charged, check the voltage across the terminals with the ignition off (12.8v required) and with the ignition on (12.4v or close).

If starts, confirm the charging voltage at 5k rpm.  Should be close the 14v.  A drop of 0.2v is acceptable.

You wrote you've done a lot of starting when fitting the Digigear thing.  Could be that you've pulled the guts out of the battery and if it was on its last legs, that's killed it for good.

sirgalahad3

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - SR 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2012, 09:46:45 pm »
AS above.
Recently happened here,battery failure.

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
I'll get a new battery first.

Any electrical issues & I start panicking & flapping.

Thanks for the advice & i'll keep you posted.

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2012, 03:33:36 pm »
Just checked the battery and its giving me 12.68v across the terminals with the ignition off & 12.18v with the ignition on. Would this normally be enough to start the engine?

Still no life when I press the starter just a click and the instrument light fail. Sometimes though when I put the ignition back on all that lights up is the neutral light - very dimly and you can see it varying in intensity before failing.

The current battery is a Varta, was fitted Sept 2009 & covered about 5k.

I will get new battery tomorrow anyway.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
That's 99% sure a dead battery.

At least you can relax about having to do a bunch of electrical fault-finding. :)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2012, 04:29:42 pm »
Definitely sounds like battery BUT have you checked the terminals to the battery have not worked loose, I had exactly the same symptoms on a CB500 the earth terminal connection had worked loose, quick tighten up with the screwdriver, jump start and long run home and so far no repeat of the issue.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2012, 08:14:54 pm »
No jump leads to try?

GILBERT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - NONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2012, 06:56:47 pm »
Bought a new battery today, filled it then let it stand for hour, put on optimate for 5 hours until little green light came on, installed on the bike &

IT FIRED UP.

Lovely feeling when something works isn't it

Thanks all for your advice everyone.

Will let you know if it doesn't start tomorrow.

p.s. checked the figure across the terminal of the old battery & the new battery before starting & they both read the same fiqure - 12.68v

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2012, 10:53:28 pm »
 :\
prob wasnt battery itself but a connection and when you put new battery on its been solved oh well keep the old as a spare

Was going to say if that didnt work or you fine the same problem again soon then i would suggest the starter motor earthing out inside, happened to my son exactly the same symptoms you had and a new starter moter was the cause

hopefully it sorted now though
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

sirgalahad3

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - SR 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2012, 08:59:33 am »
Exactly what happened here. If you take reading while starting load is on it will drop to about 2v with the duff battery on.Total  battery failure.
Glad sorted anyway.