Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:45 pm

Author Topic: Numb Arse - 2001 Fazer 1000  (Read 4745 times)

Topcat2006

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Numb Arse - 2001 Fazer 1000
« on: 18 September 2012, 09:14:36 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone any tips on how to avoid?

Thanks

Tom

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Numb Arse - 2001 Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2012, 09:40:03 pm »
sargent,corbin,or viper seats i have tried them all and settled on a viper mikesgtx's seat was a close second but i cant recall who did the work on it

luke
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2012, 07:22:09 am »
That was a P&P seat, mate. :)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2012, 08:45:39 pm »
Don't ride for so long with out a break?  Stand up on the pegs all the time?   :lol  On a more serious note, cheaper option: buy a pair of cycling shorts, the ones with padding around the bum, might sound like a joke, but I've used them on long monotonous runs and they do work. Also used them on longer runs on my old super moto and that had wooden plank as a seat! Worth a try before shelling out on a new seat.  Plus they keep yer meat and two veg warmer when wearing vented leathers on cold days :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2012, 11:56:12 am »
I tried those cycling shorts, but I just couldn't live with the fact that it felt like you'd shit your pants  :lol

The most comfortable bike I've ever had (by a coutry mile) was the FJR1300 (07 model). Never ever had any problems no matter how far I rode in a day. All other bikes have given me trouble on long distance runs.

For me, the problem comes in warm weather and it's not so much numb-bum as pain just below the bum cheeks (don't worry, I won't get any more graphic).  I find that the heat from the bike, the ambient temperature and the heavy protective clothing on a vinyl seat all contribute to making me perspire; the end result being that my skin is sticking to my clothes and you get this dragging feeling on your upper thighs as you accellerate and brake. It's that that causes me discomfort.

Tom
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
so much numb-bum as pain just below the bum cheeks (don't worry, I won't get any more graphic).

Goes on to be more graphic...

I find that the heat from the bike, the ambient temperature and the heavy protective clothing on a vinyl seat all contribute to making me perspire; the end result being that my skin is sticking to my clothes and you get this dragging feeling on your upper thighs as you accellerate and brake. 

Yuk

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2012, 03:19:22 pm »
Don't be wearing heavy protective clothing in hot weather is the moral of that story?  I believe there's a guy in or around West Yorkshire that does marvels with seat internals. His name escapes me (which is no bloody use then is it) but he did a lot of work for  Bandit owners who swear by him.

I'm sure someone will know who I mean, say his name and I'll remember it. Usually charges around £80.00 or so for seat re-modelling.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2012, 03:28:37 pm »
I tried those cycling shorts, but I just couldn't live with the fact that it felt like you'd shit your pants  :lol

The most comfortable bike I've ever had (by a coutry mile) was the FJR1300 (07 model). Never ever had any problems no matter how far I rode in a day. All other bikes have given me trouble on long distance runs.

For me, the problem comes in warm weather and it's not so much numb-bum as pain just below the bum cheeks (don't worry, I won't get any more graphic).  I find that the heat from the bike, the ambient temperature and the heavy protective clothing on a vinyl seat all contribute to making me perspire; the end result being that my skin is sticking to my clothes and you get this dragging feeling on your upper thighs as you accellerate and brake. It's that that causes me discomfort.

Tom

What you need are some of those leggings designed to be worn under bike trousers eg -  http://www.edzlayering.com/motorcycle/mens/baselayer/product_baselayer_leggings.html

They 'cling' to your legs & consequently you don't stick to the outer layer, just slither around in it sensuously....   :)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2012, 04:10:04 pm »
Don't be wearing heavy protective clothing in hot weather is the moral of that story?  I believe there's a guy in or around West Yorkshire that does marvels with seat internals. His name escapes me (which is no bloody use then is it) but he did a lot of work for  Bandit owners who swear by him.

I'm sure someone will know who I mean, say his name and I'll remember it. Usually charges around £80.00 or so for seat re-modelling.

You thinking of Tony Archer? He's Huddersfield based, IIRC

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2012, 04:37:07 pm »
Having just done over 760 miles in the last 3 days I know exactly the pain you mean, you end up moving around the seat just to avoid the sore bits, but then a long hot shower and then a pint or 3 after does ease the pain. I also get really painful lower neck and shoulders too so end up sitting bolt upright to ease that!!

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2012, 09:24:16 pm »
Thats why i love my old VFR, i think the seat had moulded to the shape of my arse :lol

In June i did 852 in 16 hours , Leominster down to Millau (France) completely in comfort,,not like my mate on his new GSXR750,,he still cant walk straight :eek

I still have to do any long runs on my Fazer, i guess you have to do t lest 200 to get the true story.
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

Webby62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2012, 10:55:49 pm »
We've got a house in mid rural France and it's an 8 hour ride. I winced at the price of a Corbin seat, so went for two gel pads at £30 a throw. Not bad actually. Spreads the load and keeps yer arse cool. Good for about 2 hours before the need to stop and stretch. Go for the flatter ones with two staps from M+P as they don't move about. 

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2012, 09:24:07 pm »

You thinking of Tony Archer? He's Huddersfield based, IIRC

That's the man!  8)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2012, 09:33:00 pm »
Yeah you do get that feeling :) , but like shitting your pants, after a while, you don't really notice it :rollin

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2012, 05:14:34 pm »
I bought a pair of cycle gel shorts for under a tenner from Decathlon. Brill and cheap.

taksi
Taksi

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2012, 08:43:46 am »
I can't go out riding for the day without wearing protective gear. I know it won't stop broken bones and the like, but it does reduce the bad skin abrasions and according to every bloke I've ever spoken to who's had an off,  it's the skin-damage that proves to be the most debilitating and hurts the longest.
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Hogi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
Up to 200 miles and all is ok with one fuel stop but shortly after that the ache starts to kick in.

Using cycling shorts is a good tip so I must give that a try but I'm guessing it will feel fecking strange at first. I'm hoping to get down to France next May so that could be the answer to get me from Durham to Dover in one hit.

In fact I'll get out next weekend and give it a shot to see if they keep the twins snug. :D

Its later than you think