Date: 16-04-24  Time: 23:40 pm

Author Topic: TV SURROUND SOUND QUESTION???  (Read 4931 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
TV SURROUND SOUND QUESTION???
« on: 07 October 2011, 10:41:03 am »

I want to add surround sound speakers to my SAMSUNG DTV.
Now I have only just mastered turning it on and off so the instructions below are beyond my thick fingered capabilities.

Can I buy just any old surround system and just plug it in???  :eek

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
xxWhen a digital audio system is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack, decrease the volume
of both the TV and the system.
xx 5.1 CH (channel) audio is available when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1 CH.
xxWhen the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: TV SURROUND SOUND QUESTION???
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2011, 03:04:42 pm »
I got a DVD surround for my Samsung.  On my set I had to use digital optical audio out (sometimes called Toshlink)  it looks like that is what your model has too.  Certainly get a surround system with one of those as an input.

Surround sound is a bit complex but essentially my Samsung Freeview HD TV puts out the following over the optical digital output:
  • On standard tv channels it outputs stereo.  Sometimes (particularly during movies) the stereo sound is encoded with Dolby Pro Logic II so you get surround sound through the stereo signal.
  • On BBC HD channels and Channel 4HD a digital 5.1 surround sound is output, my surround stereo picks up the digital output and automatically switched to digital surround
  • ITV HD outputs a digital 5.1 surround sound but only actually transmits a stereo signal over this.  Therefore I have to manually tell the surround sound system to use Dolby Pro Logic II to get surround sound (e.g. on films)
Basically you want a system with the following specs:
  • Optical digital audio input
  • DTS (Dolby theatre sound) with audio codec HE-AAC 5.1 for the HD channels to get native digital surround sound.
  • Dolby Pro Logic II to get surround sound on the non-HD channels
You will need to get two cables to connect it up:
  • Optical digital audio cable (toshlink) to get sound from your TV to the surround sound system
  • (Assuming you get a DVD/blue ray home cinema) an HDMI cable to get the picture to the TV
Nice to have decent sound when listening to Radio 6 Music using the tele to receive it!

In terms of buying a suitable surround sound system - I took 2 Samsung ones back due to hiss from the speakers.  Cheap design I guess.  I bought a Pioneer DCS 404 system for £250 which I'm pleased with.  The same one with smaller speakers was floating around for £150 a few months back.   An updated model with Blue Ray and internet features is currently £299 from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/231327283/Product.aspx

A lot of other brands don't have RDS FM tuners (which I wanted) and restrict DVDs and Blue rays to the local region (I have some from other regions) so look for these if they matter to you.  Pioneer seem to play all region discs BTW.

PS: If you don't use Sky or any other set top boxes you don't need to know about the third bullet point in your post.

Have fun!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2011, 03:21:01 pm »
Good advice from Alan, if you can understand it :lol

A few years ago now, I returned a Samsung amp to Richer Sounds as the fan in the back of it was well noisy (in my opinion not theirs funnily enough!) I took a Sony one home (fanless but a bigger box ) and it's still in use to this day.

Onkyo and Yamaha amps get good write ups usually.
You'll have to get yourself down to the shops and find an assistant who know's their stuff and can point you in the right direction of your price range.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2011, 11:22:13 am »
Thanx guys. As I expected it looks far from simple. Maybe I will just go for some extra speakers such as..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-000355-Z323-Speaker-System/dp/B002L3TSMU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22B5JQBM2QFQG&colid=3DKALXF25B04N

????
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2011, 11:19:03 pm »
Those will be as bad as the speakers in the TV and not give you surround sound (just stereo out of the speakers instead of the TV).

What effect do you want?

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2011, 11:45:46 am »
Just a bit more sound really for watching action films etc.
Seems a shame to have all that high-tec wizardry and not use it.

I did try and connect the HD set top box to my hi-fi unit with some BNC? cables but no sound as yet.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2011, 01:09:04 pm »
Just had a thought  :rolleyes  does it not work as I am connecting a digital output to an analogue input???

Or am I being senior   :o

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2011, 04:03:27 pm »
You need a home cinema system like this sort of thing.
Don't know if this has the optical input you want but you get the idea, not just speakers!

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2011, 08:44:49 pm »
Think I mucked the link up  :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SC-XH150EB-K-5-1ch-1000W-Cinema/dp/B004XBUFZW/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318172519&sr=1-21

This would be the simple option and not a bad price. What is your budget and what speakers/ amplifier if any do you have now. What options do you have for audio out on your TV/DVD/Blu Ray. With new tech you really want to get an amplifier that does HDMI so it is a) future proof or at least until next week and b) very easy to set up as you just wire in speakers to the amp and plug in HDMI the audio is alway from the amp.

Try and post on an audio forum with your exact TV make and model or email Samsung I find the manafactures staff to be very helpful at tech support.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2011, 08:48:57 pm »
PS. I spent a bit of cash on mine but if you want simple two front facing home speakers will do instead of surround sound and be easier to do unless you buy a surround package.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2011, 03:46:33 pm »
SITUATION UPDATE...............

After a bit of head scratching I thought I would try a 3.5mm jack to phono connection lead.

One end into the TV headphone socket, the other into my old analogue stereo amp.

RESULT!!!!  Now have (virtual) surround sound on 4 speakers...............WOOT

I feel sure this shouldn't work as its a digital output into an analogue amp.

But it DOES so DILLIGAFF