Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:16 am

Author Topic: 70 & Smoking  (Read 3643 times)

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
70 & Smoking
« on: 07 September 2012, 09:06:43 pm »
The old girl 02 has hit 70K and I have noticed that the end can is a bit sooty and when you rev the engine 10 - 11K and back it off you get some smoke. Is this a new engine job or is this normal?

I am going to monitor the engine oil usage next week and see if its more than Yamaha's recommended oil usage. This engine has been serviced every 4K since new, and always gets a new oil filter every time. I do about 400 miles a week.   

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: 70 & Smoking
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2012, 09:15:31 pm »
The old girl 02 has hit 70K and I have noticed that the end can is a bit sooty and when you rev the engine 10 - 11K and back it off you get some smoke. Is this a new engine job or is this normal?

I am going to monitor the engine oil usage next week and see if its more than Yamaha's recommended oil usage. This engine has been serviced every 4K since new, and always gets a new oil filter every time. I do about 400 miles a week.   
...../if you keep reving it stationary to 10-11k > you WILL be needing a new engine? :rolleyes ....wont be doing it no favours at that mileage reving it like that without being under load!!!!!!... :\

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2012, 09:30:07 pm »
Sorry forgot to say when I was on the way to work, and rev'd her to 10 - 11 and saw some smoke, got to work and blipped her and saw some more smoke just to check I was not seeing things.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2012, 09:35:55 pm »
Sorry forgot to say when I was on the way to work, and rev'd her to 10 - 11 and saw some smoke, got to work and blipped her and saw some more smoke just to check I was not seeing things.
......was it blue smoke or black?...

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2012, 11:36:30 pm »
Try taking your spark plugs out, and seeing what state they're in.
Their colour / appearance will provide clues.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2012, 08:25:45 am »

....wont be doing it no favours at that mileage reving it like that without being under load!!!!!!... :\

This might be a dumb question, the answer to which known by everyone except me - but how/why is it worse revving an engine while stationary? How does load affect wear? It would create less stress wouldn't it? Just curious.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2012, 08:26:46 am by steeeve66 »
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2012, 08:45:45 am »
This might be a dumb question, the answer to which known by everyone except me - but how/why is it worse revving an engine while stationary? How does load affect wear? It would create less stress wouldn't it? Just curious.
Nope, I can't see that it'd be worse. The extra heat might overwhelm the cooling system eventually, but that would take several minutes. It does create more stress in the neighbours though. :lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2012, 06:22:31 pm »
in the good ole days  :rolleyes lol it used to be reving without load would cause all sorts of problems as you got piston slap and with the old 2 stroke engines they would go bang really fast. but i have time to time bounced the rev limiter on bike charity runs and and show grounds (bmf sunday parade for example when you have to make as much noise as you can) with no issues at all.
i dont worry about doing it now and again and for very short bursts, i do have a friend that has a 1200 bandit and thats allways being bounced of the limiter without being under load as it spits flames on the limiter..... he thinks its cool. i just think its poor fueling lol

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2012, 10:50:34 pm »
White smoke, but not allot. This bike is aways allowed to warm up before I push it and its normal journey to work is 50 miles each way. There appears to be no loss in power! I'll start her up in the morning and go for a ride and see what happens. 

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2012, 10:57:32 pm »
doesnt sound like you got any major probs there matey?..if it was blue smoking i would be concerned? ...black smoke is normaly a fuel prob!! and white usualy points to a water prob> ie,head gasket!! but it could also be a condensation prob>,,,if your water level stays ok then i wouldnt worry to much!!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2012, 08:26:46 am »
you need to monitor fluid levels, and examine the coolant  and oil for signs of contamination.White smoke can be a sign of a leaking head gasket, but usually you get some sign of contamination somewhere.

when you have  a dyno run, even though the rear wheel turns the dyno drum, its like revving it flat out at a standstill. It hasnt done any of my bikes any harm.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2012, 08:40:36 am »
you need to monitor fluid levels, and examine the coolant  and oil for signs of contamination.White smoke can be a sign of a leaking head gasket, but usually you get some sign of contamination somewhere.

when you have  a dyno run, even though the rear wheel turns the dyno drum, its like revving it flat out at a standstill. It hasnt done any of my bikes any harm.
........Plus!!,,the weight of the rider/operator!!...and its not being revved in neutral and ..its being taken up through its gears!! ;)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 08:41:45 am by CRH »

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
Revving the engines seems to do no harm,,just your ears, look at all them race bikes on the limiter waiting for green lights,

A few years ago one of the bike mags tried to blow a zx6r up by locking the throttle open and stand back,well,

guess what happened???

after half an hour on the rev limiter they had to turn it off,for noise polution,aye,what, what???

It did not seem to do any harm at all..

Lots of times while going up through the gears i hit the limiter(vfr)
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2012, 09:14:53 pm »
HI Guys thanks for the feedback, been monitoring the fluid levels and over 400 miles that bike has used just under 100 Ml, which is well within the design limits of hte engine, also the coolant levels have stayed constant.

Right now down to the confession, I think that the smoke was caused by me overfilling the engine with oil not by much but I think that I topped it up past the site glass. I am now thinking with a little too much oil and reving the engine it has dragged it up an burnt it. Does this sound logical ?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
Over-filling might account for a bit of oily smoke and some more soot than normal on the end can.  However, check the airbox for oily deposits, too ... the crankcase breather vents there.

Too much oil in the sump can lead to cavitation and oil frothing which ain't good for oil pressure.  Not a thing to repeat and if you do it by mistake, better to drain down and correct the level straight away. :)

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2012, 08:09:53 pm »
 Ok so the motor smokes a bit and maybe uses a drop of oil so what as long as it runs carry on . I used to have a car that burnt oil I used to put a pint of oil in it every week that car lassted me 5 years and was still running and using oil when i sold it with 175k on the clock