Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:41 pm

Author Topic: 1999 Fazer Headlight Mod Not Working  (Read 6395 times)

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
1999 Fazer Headlight Mod Not Working
« on: 12 August 2012, 10:28:42 pm »
Hi, just brought my self another bike and managed to pick up a 1999 Fazer which I quite like as it's more upright that the old XJ600S I had a while back.

I noticed that someone had done the headlight Mod on it or so I thought, not exactly sure what they have done so hoping someone can give me some advice as at first it seemed they had done the Mod on here until I lifted the tank. Started off fine, apart from not working a single Blue wire covered with a Black sheath off the headlight connector so traced it back to inside a little black box under the front of the tank with a load of other connectors in there.

Everything seemed fine, until it came out the other side and was now a Red wire and a Blue wire in the original PVC sleeving so I traced the Red wire back inside the box and found that it had been spliced onto a 3 wire Brown connector. The wires were Blue/Black Stripe, Blue and Red/Yellow Stripe and the Red wire had been spliced and soldered onto the Blue/Black Stripe wire.

The Blue wire actually goes direct from the headlight to a little black unit under the left side panel, the Red wire only comes in once you get to the black box at the front of the tank but also goes to this little black unit under the side panel then both wires connect directly to the battery + and - terminals.

Be grateful for any advice if it is safe to remove this lot as I want the bike as it came out the factory as I tend to just use bulbs that have 100% extra brightness, plus some insurance companies won't pay out if there is a claim and the wiring has been altered unless it's a shop purchased product which this isn't.

The thing I want to know most is what exactly had that Red wire been spliced into as I don't have a wiring diagram so thought some one might know, if it's safe I will snip the red wire off and just tape up the soldered section of wire then remove the red and Blue wire completely. As it is the Mod doesn't work so makes me wonder what exactly they wired it into as everything works fine apart from that.

Only other question is when I lifted the tank the 2 pipes came off, does it matter which one goes on which side as I just put them back, one had a slight bit of rust so I put the pipe that had some residue of rust back on that one. Oh one last thing take it the petrol tap is just an on/off position at the back of the tank? These are the pipes.

Hope I haven't put any one into a coma reading this, just be grateful for any advice especially on removing the headlight Mod and what that Red wire has been spliced into as I don't see the point in having things just wired up that leave me sat there wondering what they are doing as it's not operating what it is supposed too.  :rolleyes

Thanks

Tim

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
Re: 1999 Fazer Headlight Mod Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2012, 11:51:25 pm »
That's a fused relay with the fuse missing???

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2012, 11:56:49 pm »

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2012, 12:54:11 am »
Ok, here goes (these colours are for the later FZ6, so may not be identical, but should give you a starting point).

The Blue / Black wire is the dimmer (High / low beam)  switch feed (it goes to a connector at which point its green between the headlight relay output contact and that connector).

Red / yellow is headlamp relay feed (coil feed and contact feed).

No idea what the blue wire is (there's a blue wire in mine which becomes blue / red and thats the tail light feed).

Have you heated grips on your bike (which may have been bodged in)?

Better still, have you a multimeter so you can tell what's live and when?

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2012, 04:50:16 pm »
have you tried just putting a fuse into the relay?

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2012, 10:59:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies, would have replied earlier but been tied up with stuff.

First off thanks to Karlo, especially for the diagram, should have really known it was a fused relay box but then it was half dark when I was doing it and rushing although have to say I didn't even notice the markings on it even when I uploaded the photo so should be paying more attention but suppose that is what I get when I start a job on my bike and then have to drop that to fix the sister in laws scooter so she can use it for work probably been better off leaving everything off mine till the next morning rather than doing it in the semi dark.  :rolleyes

Thanks AdieR for the heads up on the wiring. It has got heated grips on it and have all been wired in correctly with a separate in-line fuse, probably him that removed the fuse out the relay so it was back as standard as from what I gather the previous owner liked everything as standard so guessing it was the first owner that fitted the Mod.

I have got a multimeter, well got 2 one small one I use for the bikes and a expensive one that I use on other stuff. Think I will do as you suggested and have the tank back off at the weekend once I run the fuel down tomorrow and get the meter on it see where it leads me as I just want to know what it was wired into as I plan on stripping it all out. Funny you mentioned the green wire and the headlight relay as the wire they out in goes straight past that.  :lol

Going to try the fuse at the tomorrow night DanielT, all the ones off my old bike where mini blade and only ones on this I think are the in-line for the heated grips and didn't want to go out and buy a load of fuses when I knew I had a box of standard size somewhere and found them in the shed today so stick a fuse in it and see what happens.

Am going to eventually strip it out and stick to using the 100% or 120% brighter bulbs as I have before, even though it's not working at the moment I'm a bit fussy with having wires or anything that do nothing just on there, plus a couple of other reasons one of which is in the small print of my insurance and a lot today it states the insurance will be invalid if any modification to the wiring has been carried out unless it is an approved product such as the heated grips so they could and most likely would argue that the manufacturer did not class this as an approve Mod.

Apart from that I'm not that bothered, thinking about it the blue (black sleeved) wire goes from the headlight to the relay then on to the battery, the red wire is spliced in from the 3 wire connector on to the relay and then the battery so not like it is completing a circuit it's straight through, guess the person just decided to use a relay instead of the Mod described on here using the green wire.

Thanks for the replies anyway will let you know the outcome.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2012, 12:21:35 am »
Well tested it tonight while it was light, put a fuse in the relay and both light's came on so least I knew it was working, despite intending to pull the lot out was just curious if it did work and why it had been disabled.

Thanks to AdieR again for the wiring, looks like it has been wired into the lighting circuit although using the relay and completely bypassing the Mod on here where you use the Green wire when you switch the lights on both low beam come on but when you switch to high beam the low beam stays on so instead of 120w of lighting it's running 175w in total on high beam with 120w of that on the offside, it's actually quite blinding to look into as well and lens gets really hot.

I couldn't be bothered to remove the tank and check from where it was spliced and soldered in so disconnected the fused relay and checked from there as I knew the blue wire ran directly from the headlight and the red wire from that block and both to the relay. With the lights off got 0.01v, sidelight was 0.06v and with the lights on got 12.41v also checked with lights off everything else to make sure there was no voltage and the lights was the only one I got the reading on off the red wire with the other probe on the negative of the battery. I checked the heated grips out while I had the stuff out, they were wired in correctly.

Thanks to Karlo, especially for the diagram as I found something interesting there. It had been wired from the headlamp to 30, Earth to 85, Positive to 87 and Live Main Beam to 86 but everything worked fine. I took the connectors off and changed it to the diagram which was headlamp to 87, Earth to 85, Positive to 30 and Live Main Beam to 86 and it worked exactly the same, only difference was the relay got quite hot where as the the other way round it didn't but as I have removed the fuse and intend to strip it out guess it doesn't make much difference.

Thanks again for the input.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2012, 02:15:05 am »
Don't know the load current rating of that relay, but 175 watts at 12 volts is nearly 15 amps (volts multiplied by amps equal watts, equally amps can be found by dividing watts by volts ie 175 W/12 V = 14.583 A); maybe the relay is hot due to being at or near its full load capacity (or exceeding it)?

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2012, 12:24:20 am »
Thanks AdieR, I'm not sure of the load rating of the relay either and seems odd that wired correctly it heats up but incorrectly stays nice and cold but headlights have same effect but can't really be bothered to work that one out as it's coming off, not like it is being used anyway with the fuse out of it and sooner not have obsolete relays and wires that don't have any real function. It's likely what you said that it either is or close to exceeding the capacity.

So once I run the fuel down from a almost full tank going to snip off the red wire in the box that has been spliced and soldered onto the main beam and tape it up as the original wiring should still pretty strong being soldered then that and the blue wire from the headlight that go back to the relay can be taken off and then finally just disconnect the 2 wires from the battery and that's it out the way, just a bit fussy having stuff on it that serves no purpose.

Going to stick to the standard set up and most likely use the new Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs as I have had good results with Osram before plus these bulbs where voted best bulb not too long ago.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2012, 12:42:36 am »
Well sorted it out on Friday after running the petrol down so I could lift the tank. The wiring mod is now gone and everything back to standard, just snipped off the wire that was soldered on and used some insulating tape around it as it seemed like a nice solid connection so pointless pulling it apart to put a connector in, that's what came out .

I was looking at the Ultra series is Halfords bulbs but they were £18.99 and £19.99 each so £38.98 just for one each of the H1 and H4 so decided to look at my original on-line purchase from Autobulbs Direct and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus, they were £23.95 for two of each plus a couple of free capless bulbs for the 5w fitting which I was happy to pay. Before I ordered though decided to look on Amazon and they had the same offer, only half the price. In all cost me £26.13 including postage, the actual bulbs were two H1's for £11.96, two H4's for £12.97 and they also sent four free ultra bright 5w capless bulbs so got a complete new set in there.

Ordered on the Thursday and got them Saturday, although didn't place the order until 11pm so quick delivery.

Tested the bulbs out on a local road with no lighting at all and trees both sides so very dark. On low beam you can see further than the original high beam and on high beam the difference is huge and instead of a dull orange effect these are crisp white light.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2012, 12:54:35 am by Devic »

jayplay

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2012, 01:32:15 pm »
Hi can i just confirm you fitted the Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs to a standard fzs600.No mod or conversions.

Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2012, 07:48:00 pm »
 The fact the fuse was out would make me suspect it was not a good job. Just check to see if the dim and head on the h4 bulb are not on together, as they would get very, very hot if they were and not do the bulb or headlight unit any good.
The simple method to use the ‘spare dim’ is to open the dim switch cluster and see if there is a green wire coming from the dimmer switch. If so this can be traced back to the blue connector in the electric connector box under the tank. This can then be wired from the connector block to the spare connector slot on the H4 bulb connector. This will switch off the right hand dim when the full beam is on and the full beam off when the dim is on.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2012, 01:33:04 am »
Hi Jayplay, the Osram Nightbreaker Plus where just straight swaps so no mods or conversions only difference is standard bulb is Halogen and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus are Xenon but make a hugh difference without having to change anything. The bulbs are rated the same but as 90% brighter, 10% whiter crisp light and only downside is they last slightly less than the Halogen but I am fine with that as I would sooner see where I was going, plus instead of the £48.00 I was going to pay for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus originally I got for £26.13 including the postage with 4 free 5w capless bulbs that are ultra bright.

Got them from AP Motor Store on Amazon.
The bike actually had the mod on it when I got it but they wired it in wrong so I stripped it out as sooner have things as standard. These are the actual H4 I got.
Hope that helps, the original Halogen where like a dull orange colour when they where on, this are nice white colour.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2012, 01:52:04 am »
Hi Unfazed

The job was pretty neat, all nicely soldered in just a shame it was soldered to the wrong wire.

The Mod on here shows how to wire it in using the live green wire on the lighting box, which I think goes back to the switch gear can't remember off hand but he ran it off a different wire under the tank and funny as the wire they suggest on here to use he ran a wire past that to the battery.

The problem was as you said. I put a fuse in the relay and worked fine both lights on low beam but the trouble was that when you switched to high beam the low beam never switched off on the right side/offside so with both elements on you had 120w of lighting that side, was pretty hot and blinding then you has the low beam on as it should be on the left/nearside so instead of the 120w of lighting it was running 175w.
Anyway stripped the Mod out now and running standard set up with decent bulbs as it wasn't doing anything anyway with the fuse out the relay.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2012, 02:01:34 am »
Forgot to mention the Nightbreaker H1 that I got from them as well Jayplay, forgot to look at what year your's was but mine being a 1999 takes a H1 on the left and H4 on the right so got a set of each and the capless are free for your little 5w 501 bulb.

Also forgot to mention there are two types the Osram Nightbreaker and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus, it's the Plus you want to go for as they are the newer version that last longer than the standard Nightbreakers.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 02:03:31 am by Devic »