Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:22 am

Author Topic: FZS Chain noise  (Read 6889 times)

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZS Chain noise
« on: 10 August 2012, 10:13:03 am »
Is there a cure for it? The chain is in good condition and correctly lubed/adjusted but I still hear it rustle more than on other bikes I've owned.  I was wondering what effect going one tooth up on the rear sprocket might have? Or is the answer simply 'Earplugs'?  :lol

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
Re: FZS Chain noise
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2012, 10:23:04 am »
Non OE front sprocket is noisier than stock. Looked at the stock option last time I replaced C&S. For the price difference I decided I could live with the extra noise. Not even noticeable with plugs.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2012, 02:02:30 pm »
Hi I run a 46 tooth renthal on the rear, slightly less noise, but not much diff, used to it now after 7 years, case of they all do that sir! :lol

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2012, 01:07:13 pm »
I just had a DID HD sprocket and chain fitted at BMW and it's noticably noisier than the one that came off. But if I'm going any distance (ie out for the day), I always use earplugs anyway.
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2012, 03:22:02 pm »
I've never got on with earplugs.

The chain noise isn't too intrusive - but it is there. It's only when riding through small villages and the sound reflects back from garden walls that I notice it. Unless I'm riding with these lot of course - then I can't hear a feckin thing.  :lol

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2012, 07:42:12 am »
I can only ever hear general noise and wind roar on my bike...simply cannot filter out any specific chain noise or " tyre noise"....put my earplugs in and can only hear background thrashing noise. And thats over 702k miles of fazer riding ! 

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2012, 07:57:05 am »
i seam to get a lot of wind noise with mine 50mph plus,dont get it with my 600,has a non std yam screen which is just a little higher than std....i have a std screen so will swap and see what difference it makes  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2012, 10:21:37 pm »
Fit an Akrapovic. Guarantee you won't here your chain! I can't.

Taksi
Taksi

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2012, 09:16:48 am »
I resisted wearing earplugs for far too long. Hated the sensation of having them blocked and worried that I wouldn't be able to hear vehicles lurking in blind spots. The reality is that I got used to the feeling and can still hear the traffic... since everything's quieter the car behind you is still just as audible.
It's never to late to start preventing damage to your hearing, I wish I'd started sooner... sounds above 14kHz are permanently gone for me and bike riding was the cause.

So far as chain noise is concerned, I was surprised how much difference the plastic cushioning on the OE front sprocket makes. It's noticeably quieter (but not worth paying extra).

:eek  700k? Jeez... Pitternator, you must pretty much live on the road!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2012, 03:47:12 pm »
I just adjusted mine to the recommended 30mm play yesterday and it whines like a bugger this morning!

Will be slacking off tonight, never made a noise before

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2012, 06:46:36 am »
I just adjusted mine to the recommended 30mm play yesterday and it whines like a bugger this morning!

Will be slacking off tonight, never made a noise before
that's way too tight, if your on about gen 1 thou. you need around 45mm slack mate. :)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2012, 10:53:49 am »

you need around 45mm slack mate. :)

Thats what I tell my wife every night  :)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
This is driving me nuts now,,, measured it again this morning on the side stand, getting about 40mm play if you measure it from the bottom of the link, then push up and the top of the link is def 40mm. I'm pushint it up as far as it can go and pulling it down with the same amount of force. Checked the markers in the adjustment bit and the are equidistant andprobably a mill past where it started from.

Am I over complicating this? Do you need 40mm difference from the bottom of the chain to the bottom when you push it up  :'(

(measured the drive chain slack as shown in the manual,,,,)

Might get the boy to sit on it tonight and remeasure....

Khaotik

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2012, 05:16:19 pm »
On my old CBR600F3 I could hear the chain at low speed before I changed the exhaust... but every bike since then I have not.

And as for earplugs, I can't ride without 'em.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2012, 07:54:06 am »
This is driving me nuts now,,, measured it again this morning on the side stand, getting about 40mm play if you measure it from the bottom of the link, then push up and the top of the link is def 40mm. I'm pushint it up as far as it can go and pulling it down with the same amount of force. Checked the markers in the adjustment bit and the are equidistant andprobably a mill past where it started from.

Am I over complicating this? Do you need 40mm difference from the bottom of the chain to the bottom when you push it up  :'(

(measured the drive chain slack as shown in the manual,,,,)

Might get the boy to sit on it tonight and remeasure....
when you measure chain slack are you checking it on tightest part of chain? You need to spin wheel and measure on different parts of chain, once you have found the tightest spot mark it with a pen and then adjust to that.
Chain develop tight spots as they wear. If you set adjustment to loose part, the tight part will be like a bow string and that's where your whine will come from.

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2012, 08:02:22 am »
Forgot to add, once you have adjusted it, sit on it and check slack again. Fzs thou chains do feel very loose compared to other bikes till you sit on it. This is because of the length of swing arm to pivot point. If the chain is hitting bottom chain guide or swing arm viewed underneath, it's way too tight.
Also check your chain has no binding links, a good squirting of WD40 on a rag and soaking in will help that. And a good lube once all is well.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2012, 10:15:34 am »
I found that if I oiled my chain with an oil can (engine oil) and not spray chain lube it was quieter, so I've fitted a Scott oiler and it seem better :D .
Andy

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2012, 10:58:53 am »
 I'm pushing it up as far as it can go and pulling it down with the same amount of force.

Just re-read my post, phnar phnar!