Date: 07-05-24  Time: 13:39 pm

Author Topic: Front tyre wear  (Read 2663 times)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Front tyre wear
« on: 08 August 2012, 04:49:17 pm »
Bike has just done 8500 miles and MOT time as it has reached its third birthday

Back tyre was flat in the middle and down on its uppers so a new rear required as I had changed the pair last year and done around 3-4 k in the last year.

Checked the front tyre usually two rears to a front right? That was what it was last time but this time my front tyre has worn strangely.

Looking at the tyre the middle is fine, the nearside is round but tapering a little in mid tread and the right hand side is worn flat between the middle and the sidewall- I remember the last front tyre went a bit that way.

I am pretty good at keeing my tyre pressures correct and guess if I rode it down on pressure I would have a worn mid side tread but then it would be equal on both sides wouldnt it? not one rounded and one flattened?

Any Ideas?

Bike mechanic said its because Powys roads have a pronounced camber because of the heavy rainfall  :o Yeah right- anyway I usually ride in P3 (just inside the centre line for the non Police trained riders) so should have a pretty good flat bit there.... probably equivelent to a long weight (wait :'( ) and a rubber hammer or a tin of elbow grease  :o )
59 going on 57

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Front tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
you not running metz z6 by any chance are you?....i had same problem with my fjr  :rolleyes

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2012, 05:04:17 pm »
Do you like your roundabouts sir? ;)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
I've got a BT 021 on the front and it's a bit strange on the wear pattern too...

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2012, 06:33:57 pm »
Road camber can cause strange wear patterns, and some tyre / bike combos are more prone to it than others. Mate had similar uneven wear on a ZX9R.
You running the same tyres as previously, or have you changed brands / types?

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2012, 07:03:09 pm »
Road camber IS  most likely the cause, roundabouts and camber will cause the right side to slide, slip and grip more fiercly than the nearside of your front tyre. Think about it, if you're negotiating a right hand bend, camber's dropping away and your tyre's working harder for the grip.  But left hand bends find the camber in your favour so the nearside of the tyre gets an easier time. Sorted!  ;)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2012, 09:10:22 pm »
Michelin Pilot roads I fitted last year and added a new rear now

I see what you mean- Roundabouts I am usually pretty slow on anyway but I am a bit more spirited on right and left bends- you wouldnt think that the camber would have an effect as you are leant over anyway- left or right hand bend
59 going on 57

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
I have been running pilot road 2s for the last couple of changes and change both at same time - mega miles 11k+

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2012, 07:42:59 pm »
Road camber IS  most likely the cause, roundabouts and camber will cause the right side to slide, slip and grip more fiercly than the nearside of your front tyre. Think about it, if you're negotiating a right hand bend, camber's dropping away and your tyre's working harder for the grip.  But left hand bends find the camber in your favour so the nearside of the tyre gets an easier time. Sorted!  ;)

What an interesting explanation!  I say this because the PO of my bike only used it for continental holidays once a year. Every summer he toured Europe, came home and put it away until the following year.  When I bought the bike from him I noticed the tread on the nearside front was worn more than the other side which would confirm your theory.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2012, 08:03:37 pm »
I have BT021's on my Fazer 600 & the front has worn strangely! the right side is almost on the wear mark  :eek  whilst the left has plenty of tread as for the centre of the tyre,its like its starting to square off? Got quoted £215 for a ride in/out service for 021's or £199 for Maxxis supermaxx

Ray

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2012, 11:51:12 pm »
They all do that. Always have done and always will. I've been riding for 27 years now, including 4 years as a courier, and front tyres always wear out on the right first. Been through dozens of them, all types, sizes and makes. It is because of road camber, but the weird thing is that the back tyre does'nt do it. Had you noticed that? Heard an explanation of that once, not quite sure but think it had something to do with countersteering :b
Here's a good idea. Why dont we flog our nearly shot on the right front tyres to the Frenchies or some one? Then they can wear out the other side.
Result!

Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
There is a thought- and they could sell us theirs!  :lol

11k on a pair of tyres..... you are not trying hard enopugh sir!
  :evil
59 going on 57