Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:26 pm

Author Topic: Exup tale of woe  (Read 4092 times)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup tale of woe
« on: 07 August 2012, 06:55:20 pm »
Due to me getting the 7g error message I decided to service my exup at the weekend and it looks like ive f*cked it up , when Id fitted it I turned the ignition on,no probs so I went for a ride a few miles down the road the 7g error comes up again , went home stripped it down and refit a couple of times to no avail.
When its all fitted it rotates so far then tightens up and on inspection when I held a straight edge to it its got a slight bevel from the back side bending up. I went to the Yam dealers in Chorley and spoke to a mechanic he told me if its bent its goosed throw it away,then said my best option was to throw it away take the cables of and seal the hole with a bolt,job done. I said as far as I was aware this would have an averse effect on the bikes performance he shrugged and said my options were all expensive.
Rang another dealer just to price a new valve £282+ vat   Shit !  Any advice or better still reasonably priced spare valves would be most welcome

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
Re: Exup tale of woe
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2012, 07:16:26 pm »
I've not experienced that fortunately, but surely Ebay or a local breaker must be your first options? Don't give up on it as you will certainly miss it if you are going to keep the bike. Good luck with it.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2012, 07:34:56 pm »
The trouble with ebay or breakers is you could buy a dodgy one then your trying to get your money back

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2012, 07:36:03 pm »
i have a spare complete n working
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2012, 08:00:05 pm »
Your dealer mechanic is an arse!  Ignore him and never be tempted to sling the valve and seal up the end plate.  Others have tried and always regretted it.

You can straighten the valve you have.  I've done several over the years.  You just have to be careful and patient.  Hold one end in a vise and apply pressure by hand ... no hammers!  Check with a steel straight- edge.  It will probably take a few attempts to get right but you can see it's worth the time vs the cost of replacement parts. 

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2012, 08:14:45 pm »
Mine was bowed & I paid guy £35 to have it straightened.

A decent engineer can carry it out if you don't have decent tools - cheaper than a new valve

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2012, 08:31:27 pm »
Thanks guys for your usual words of wisdom, im relieved I can at least try to straighten it    its not hardly bent at all but obviously enough.
Worst comes to it Luke I will pm you about your spare if you dont mind

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2012, 08:42:22 pm »
Have got to ask, how does this get bent ? Just so I can try to avoid this.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2012, 04:57:26 am »
Hard to say for sure.  Heat distortion is a possible in some cases, I guess. 

More likely is cack-handed re-assembly and/or failure to clean properly.  If the end plate doesn't pull into place smoothly, don't force it - find out what's causing it to bind rather than apply load to the valve spindles.

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2012, 05:13:13 am »
When I first got my bike the it was showing 7G. The valve was jamed solid and took a fair bit of gentle brute force to free it up and it got a little bent in the process. A little bit of gentle fettling later it was all back together and that was about 10000 miles ago and I've no problems since.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2012, 06:37:01 am »
Mikes probalby right about the cack handed bit, that definately sounds like me near a spanner. :lol

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2012, 07:56:12 am »
I pulled my valve the first time at about 2k from brand new and found that it had a slight bend in it. I squeezed it straight between two soft jaws in a big vice a little bit at a time, simples  :) .

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2012, 09:28:29 am »
Chorley Yamaha (where the mechanic works) has just lost a customer.

They are my nearest bike shop but I won't be going to them with a bike from now on. The mechanic's attitude shows the sort of care your bike is likely to receive in his hands.

TrukkoMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CrossTourer 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2012, 11:18:59 am »
Hi, look the following story might sound barmy but I had the 7k error message on my 2005 Gen 1 a while back in 2009. I asked my technician to sort it out. He serviced it. Problem still there. It always happened after a spell at highish speed, typically 80mph for say 5 minutes. Slow down for the roundabout and there is the error message. So, with no 'bend' apparent in the valve, my technician reamed the bushes just a touch as we reckoned it must be binding following high speed by getting hot and sticking. Problem still there after reaming! 
Well, in 2010 I took it for its MOT to a workshop I hadn't used before. Man there said..."we've had a few of these with cracked exhaust just at the back of the collector box/exup, bl**dy expensive to repair and getting the pipes off the cylinder heads is a b*gg*r. What you need to do is make sure you tighten the clamp bolt here at the join of the pipe to the box regularly, as it seems to loosen and allow the exhaust to vibrate and crack the pipe". So he got his spanner while waiting for the online authorisation from the trolls at DVLA, and swung it onto the nut. Sure enough it was loose. Did it up tight, not too tight to strip it though you understand  . Lo, and behold the exup error code never re-appeared. Couldn't believe it. Told my technician who also was astonished. "learn something new every day!" said he.
I checked it from time to time and sure enough it works loose. So...if indeed there was air creeping in on the overrun from high speed or in some conditions, then it's possible the temperature was reaching superheat and causing the exup to stick. Just a theory.
Hope this ramble saves someone having either cracked pipe or exup aggro.
John

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2012, 07:28:00 pm »
Well lads I took your advice and put it in a vice and applied some gentle pressure. Mike I may be cack handed with a spanner but I come in to my own when you put me near a vice, it looks to have done the job  put her back together no error code, went for a short ride no error so fingers crossed.
Thanks again for all the posts :D

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2012, 11:20:44 pm »
Good, hope that's sorted now. :)

So much for Mr Yamaha's man, eh? ;)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2012, 11:51:27 pm »
It was Chorley Yam's mechanic who also told me that the FJR1300 didn't have a problem with the rear suspension link bushes. He said it was a load of nonsense, despite it being common knowledge all over the forums!

A week later a guy on the FJR Forums posted a photo showing how his suspension linkage had seized, causing the dog-bones to snap as he was coasting off a motorway onto the slip-road. It resulted in a crash but luckily, the guy was fine. His bike only had 17k on the clock.

:eek :rolleyes

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!