Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:32 pm

Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 974 times)

ricarsouljah

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Oil leak
« on: 30 July 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Hey all.

First post so here we go.

Got a small oil leak coming from the small hole located in the dummy air fins on the right hand side of the engine. only happens when the engine is warm. its not a major leak but I'm curious to find out if anyone can tell what that hole is for and why it is leaking oil.

Happy riding.

Richy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2012, 07:00:47 am »
Isn't that the escape hole that comes from next to the spark plug to stop a build up of water?

Have you had the bike long?

A lot of people spray WD40 around the HT leads that i s'pose could weep through the hole when warm?

Have you had a look at your little oil window to see if it looks 'clean' with no water showing at all?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2012, 09:09:49 am »
Hi Richy... and welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, that does sound like the drainage hole for the well the plugs occupy. If it really is oil that's coming out rather than water/ACF50/WD40 etc  (I'm wondering if you'd just washed the bike!), then the most likely source is a bit of seepage from the cam cover gasket. Lifting the tank and pulling the plug caps off should give you a good enough view to see if this is where the stuff is coming from.

Cheers,   James

ricarsouljah

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2012, 08:17:15 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys  :thumbup

I've had the bike about a month now. hopefully its not something the previous knew about :\

I'm gonna whip the tank off, pull the HT leads and have a look inside.
A bit of compressed air to clean it out and see what happens after the next ride around

Will let you know, fingers crossed.

Richy