Date: 16-04-24  Time: 07:07 am

Author Topic: Annoyingly Poor Fueling/Ride  (Read 4279 times)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Annoyingly Poor Fueling/Ride
« on: 27 July 2012, 07:34:04 pm »
I have just replaced my Gen 2 '06 FZ1 Fazer with a '10 Plate, mainly because I fancied a different colour   :\
Now the '06 model, as you would expect, was a bit snatchy with the fuel injection, especially on a half throttle. Although it was noticable I could ride around the issue and it was perfectly fine.
As the ECU was changed for the later models my expectations was that things should have improved a bit........how bloody wrong was I. My new bike looks great but the fuelling is so bad it is almost unrideable. Fine on closed or full throttle but anywhere in between it is bloody awful.
Now I know the previous owner had a race can on it and "may" have had a power commander but both have been removed so what could be causing this and what can I do to rectify:
  • Could it be that the throttle bodies need rebalanced?
  • Could the ECU be out of sync having had a PC/can on it and needs "reset"
  • Anything else?
If 2 how can you reset the ECU?
Looks nice though  :)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Annoyingly Poor Fueling/Ride
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Most modern ECU's on cars learn from the air/fuel mixture on the air intake and exhaust and from how you drive it. not sure if the FZ1 does but normally if it is that style of ECU unplugging the battery for 30 mins will reset it defult and will have to learn again. you will not see any change for at least 40-50 miles.

might be worth trying as its free to do so. (make sure it will not affect any alarm lol)

Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2012, 08:48:54 pm »
You mention it had a race can - could (or was) the exhaust oxygen sensor have been removed / altered?
Some cans can lean the fuel mixture off more than normal (hence the PC / fuel map).

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2012, 11:50:55 pm »
take this with a pinch of salt as the only time i had issues with FI on a bike was a 955i tiger. that was just dropped in to the dealers and they downloaded a updated map. this was done free the first time and then at my reuest another map was uploaded a month later at a cost of £15.
i assume most FI systems have that abbility but i love carb bikes so have little experiance

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2012, 01:54:32 am »
Bike feels like it has really badly balance "carbs" (if it had them  :) ) and fuel consumption is laos very poor. if feels like it is running "rich" hence my thought of throttle bodies or ECU but dont' treally know enough about the ECU side of things to thinks of suggestions.
i know from when I had a CB1300 there was a specific way of resetting the ECU cos of fueling issues but cant remember what the process was or if possible.
It is possible that the previous owner had the bike remapped or equivilant so trying to get a starting point to come up with a resolution.....i hate going to a dealer with the view of "can you fix this..." as it gives then the £'s sign. Much better saying can you do this...... ?

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2012, 08:55:19 am »
Shame your so far away mate, this guy in Tamworth knows his onions when it comes to bikes - http://www.mphtamworth.co.uk/ , he fly's at the same heli-club as me and is a proper nice bloke.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2012, 09:26:01 am »
Bike feels like it has really badly balance "carbs" (if it had them  :) ) and fuel consumption is laos very poor. if feels like it is running "rich" hence my thought of throttle bodies or ECU but dont' treally know enough about the ECU side of things to thinks of suggestions.
i know from when I had a CB1300 there was a specific way of resetting the ECU cos of fueling issues but cant remember what the process was or if possible.
It is possible that the previous owner had the bike remapped or equivilant so trying to get a starting point to come up with a resolution.....i hate going to a dealer with the view of "can you fix this..." as it gives then the £'s sign. Much better saying can you do this...... ?

I thought you still had to balance throotle bodies????

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2012, 06:56:51 pm »
Cracking looking bike flesh ;)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2012, 07:17:33 pm »
Just spoken to my local Yam dealer describing the problem who said....."its not the throttle bodies or the ECU...somethings broken........".
Not very useful info and I suspect they want the labour rate for investigating the issue....annoying!!!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2012, 07:39:21 pm »
Have you tried checking your spark plugs - their colour will give a clue to the state of your bike?

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2012, 07:16:02 am »
try checking under the seat and tank to see if it has a power commander actually fitted.If not then tbh you may well have to get the bike checked out at a dealer.Removing plugs is Ok but it wont cure a problem if you have one.I think its worth trying to disconnect the battery and reconnect as with all computers this will reboot them.

I didnt keep my FZ-1 long enuff for a dealer service, so dont know how much downloadable stuff they do.But all my triumphs had FI and triumph sent stuff to the dealers for them to update bikes. Dek is a good source of info. Look him up on the members list and send him a pm.He knows the FZ-1 inside out.

lastly I didnt know they actually did a white FZ-1 for the UK...is it an import ??...

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2012, 03:19:42 pm »
White is a 2010 UK colour, though thats the first one I've seen. Got to be something up with the fi somewhere, my 2009 is smooth at all throttles.
Not heard of dealers plugging in to the ecu before, not seen it in the service manual. IIRC there is a fault reader built into the clocks.