Date: 16-06-24  Time: 02:25 am

Author Topic: Help wanted with intermittent starting issue  (Read 2097 times)

davedee69

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Help wanted with intermittent starting issue
« on: 18 July 2012, 11:43:53 am »
Hi, I have a 2000 W FZS600 Fazer, ive had it since Feb, lovely bike all been running fine, I went to Silverstone on it a couple of weeks ago and got very wet! Ive used it a few times since without problem until a couple of days ago, i got my gear on and went out, so i thought............
It would not start. Turns over very fast but is not firing. So I took my gear off and took my seat off and checked the connectors where the loop is for immobilisers etc ( I dont have immobiliser) all looks ok, maybe ive got something wet?
try again, nope, again, instant fire and it runs. so i go out and do about 10 miles, just as im pulling into my road on the way back it dies, i tried restarting and it just turned over again. So i pushed it home and started checking the obvious.
Battery is good, it seems to be getting fuel, well it was when i was out, Ive just changed the spark plugs as they were cheap enough, air filter is new.
turned it over and it started instantly, turn it off, then it doesn't start again.
It seems to have been very hit and miss the last few days, it starts then it doesnt.
So i ask, what could it be, moisture somewhere? a dodgy ignition coil? however i find it strange that it either runs or doesnt, when it does its fine, no misfires or anything, could a dodgy coil pack cause the instant failure and refusal to start?
I have read very very similar stories on the net but with no conclusions, if anyone has had this problem, did it just go away or di they find a fix.
Any help would be appreciated, Id rather not have to take her to the dealer!
How can i check things?
thanks in advance
Dave.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted with intermittent starting issue
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2012, 04:45:58 pm »
As this started after a soaking it sounds very much like an electrical issue.
A lot of these intermittent misfire/starting problems vanish after a change of plug caps so I'd recommend you try that before anything else. Get some NGKs, part number SD05F. They're straight, not 90º like the OEM ones, but they're a sensible price. Cut 4 or 5 mm off the ends of the leads before screwing them on to ensure decent contact.

davedee69

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2012, 10:45:19 am »
hi Fazerider, thanks for response, it has been after some wet weather, I went up to Silverstone a couple of weeks ago for the grand prix, very wet, and as a result the bike was very muddy too when i got home, all washed off straight away but being so dirty I went for the hose pipe. Been out several times after and it was fine, however one trip i got caught out in a storm and got soaked again! got home and put her away wet. had not been used since till the other day when the problem began,
I have put new plugs in and at that price for the caps I have ordered some new ones as you suggested, have also noticed another similar post on here and the net result seemed to be a damp/dirty ignition switch, cleaned where key goes with contact cleaner and he says its been fine since so i shall try that too, Lawrence I think the post was by, will let you know how it goes, many thanks finger crossed.
D
« Last Edit: 19 July 2012, 12:22:15 pm by davedee69 »

davedee69

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2012, 05:34:14 pm »
just an update, so far so good  :) , contact cleaner in the ignition and all has been fine so far, will report again if things change, ps, new ngk plug caps are on the way also, at that price I decided it would be good to have some spares. £11 for 4 with delivery for the ones you recommended fazerider.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2012, 09:53:57 pm »
Glad to hear it's going well, though feeling a little guilty at suggesting a purchase that may have been unnecessary. Kind of assumed some WD40 (or whatever brand of water displacement fluid you prefer) would have been sprayed at the likely problem areas already!
At least you found the caps at a lower price than I paid. :)

davedee69

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2012, 07:59:54 am »
not a problem, no need to feel guilty, i changed the plugs too, but at least i now know when they were last done, lol
I had used wd40 already but it did not seem to work, I spoke to a friend (my instructor) who does all his bike work himself and told me that wd40 would not work like contact cleaner :eek , and as it was only £4 for a big can I had nothing to loose from trying.
As I said if it returns I will be coming back for more tips, many thanks

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2012, 09:29:29 am »
Good to hear you got it going again :)  WD40 should get rid of water but contact cleaner will get rid of all the shite that's on the contacts causing the high resistance/no connection.

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
not a problem, no need to feel guilty, i changed the plugs too, but at least i now know when they were last done, lol
I had used wd40 already but it did not seem to work, I spoke to a friend (my instructor) who does all his bike work himself and told me that wd40 would not work like contact cleaner :eek , and as it was only £4 for a big can I had nothing to loose from trying.
As I said if it returns I will be coming back for more tips, many thanks

:rollin it dose work had to use it for today spray the wd40 set off or let the bike worm up and let the wd40 do its job  ;)
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!