Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:19 pm

Author Topic: SMIDSY's  (Read 836 times)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
SMIDSY's
« on: 11 July 2012, 09:46:02 pm »
Anyone watching Horizon on BBC4 looking at human perception? Here's a good one.They just showed a clip of 6 guys playing basketball, 3 in yellow, 3 in blue, and we're asked to count the number of times the guys in yellow pass the ball. Ok, thought, this should be easy. I counted 13 passes. At the end of the clip the guy says 'did anyone notice anything strange there?' So we were then invited to watch the clip as you would normally.And a bloke in a gorilla suit walked through the middle of the basketball game, stopped, stood bang centre in the middle of the picture and waved.I didn't see it when I was counting the passes. Absolutely stunning that you can miss something as obvious as that.You want the answer to why SMIDSY's happen, it's visual perception problems .. ..

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: SMIDSY's
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2012, 10:38:16 pm »
yeah i've heard of that one before my bike instructor told me the same story 2 and a half years ago, although i think on a yank show.
Therefore what do you look for on a road something that is equal to your size or bigger, a car or lorry etc. Thats why bikes aren't seen.
Its shit init.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2012, 11:41:11 pm »
It certainly is. And the various EU states that are planning compulsory Hi-Viz really need to step back and read some of the research rather than creating more legislation that does nothing whatsoever.

Thinking about what you were told, one way to reduce SMIDSY's would be to have more bikes on the road. Mind, car drivers hit each other all the time anyway .. .

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2012, 07:37:54 am »
More bikes is the answer, also the benefit that is,  if 10% of car drivers switch to bikes everyones travel time would be reduced by 40%, from a recent survey in holland i believe.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!