Date: 26-04-24  Time: 03:54 am

Author Topic: Wobble Wobble Wobble!  (Read 4259 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Wobble Wobble Wobble!
« on: 30 September 2011, 04:15:50 pm »
hey guys (and gals)
 ive recently had a new tire fitted in my bike but today when i was riding around 50mph i took my hands off to adjust my glove  :evil and it began to wobble?! :eek
it had felt a little weird as id leant it around bends? other then fitting a new tire, of which caused the problem in the first place,i have no idea of what to do, its kinda made me not want to ride it a little as i dont feel i can fully trust it?!

Any advice with be gratefully recieved!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Supanova7G

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Wobble Wobble Wobble!
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2011, 05:22:43 pm »
Hi,

I remembered reading this in the wiki a few weeks ago. Hope it helps:

http://www.foc-u.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Front_Wheel_Wobble_-_description,_and_possible_causes

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
Thanks Mate, I have Previously read this though, Its only started since i had new tyres fitted?
My Mother just had a thought and would it make sense if i needed the wheels balanced again after the wheels being taken off?!

Thanks Again!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2011, 06:29:44 pm »
Who fitted the tyre? Normally they balance the wheel too.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2011, 06:39:41 pm »
Local  Garage, If i call them will they sort it for me?!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2011, 08:41:15 pm »
After fitting a fresh tyre the wheel should always be rebalanced. It is normally standard practice both for cars and motorbikes. If the garage don't normally do motorbike tyres they may not have the proper equipment to balance it. I would give them a ring and ask if it was done. If there are no fresh balancing weights on the wheel it's a good bet it wasn't done. Have you checked that the tyre is properly seated on the rim. You can do this by spinning the wheel and looking for any run out. Hope that helps.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2011, 10:53:54 pm »
yeah it sounds like it wasnt balanced properly. but if the wheels been buckled from a fall it will shake side to side at high speed like you've described

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2011, 05:02:19 pm »
Hey Folks!
Thanks for all your advices! after reading it all ive decided to take to to a local bike shop and after a flutter of my eyelashes they have ruled everything out and are saying it is definately just re-balancing.

They've told me not to worry just take it easy till they can fit me in to do it and stop taking my hands of the bars in the mean time ;)

Boring Advice but i guess i'll behave until tuesday! ha  :evil

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2011, 10:06:39 pm »
Have they fixed it? Does it feel a lot better?

ozpom

• FOC-U Knife wielding Psycho
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2011, 01:43:18 pm »
I used to get this with Bridgestones but with Metzelers it doesn't seem to happen. Possibly something to do with the profile of the tyre.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2011, 01:43:50 pm by ozpom »
Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2011, 07:15:45 pm »
Have they fixed it? Does it feel a lot better?

Farjo, I thought it was fixed but after having a motorcycle garage rebalance the wheels and check my bearing etc i still have the same problem...

its at 50mph +

the only other thing i can think of is that the actual wheel and tyre where fitted together incorrectly?!?!
I want to get it sorted although this bike is going away during winter but still...

Any advice will still be welcomed!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2011, 12:53:02 am »
are you sure theres no damage to the rim or tyre? have you got bar ends on the handle bars?

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2011, 04:59:20 am »
well i took it to another garage since the problem started and he never mentioned anything.

Yeah i have bar end on the bike too

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2011, 12:24:04 am »
I see from your other post that this is still not resolved. Can't say it ever sounded like a balance problem anyway, I've lost balance weights before and it introduces vibration, but not a wobble.
It may be the tyre is still getting broken in, the characteristics do change a bit when they're new and riding style does affect how fast the tyre settles down, if you go very gently (or have only had roads strewn with wet leaves to ride on) then it might take more than the suggested 100 miles.
Did the shop actually take it for a ride? If they did, and didn't experience the problem then it probably isn't down to anything more alarming. A rider of different weight and riding style might well not trigger the wobble whereas if it was loose steering head bearings, worn swingarm bearings or a wheel alignment issue then they should have spotted that straight away.

If you're not convinced of their competence or have already covered a few hundred miles on the tyre then I'd follow Limax's suggestion and check the wheel and tyre are running true.
With the bike on the centrestand, stick blocks of wood or something stable under engine (or get a patient friend to sit on the pillion) to prop the front wheel off the ground. If you gently ease the pads off the brake discs with a screwdriver it'll be a lot easier to spin the wheel (just remember to pump the lever a few times to get them back where they need to be when you're done). With the wheel spinning, sight along both sides in turn to see if the rims waggle left and right and then check it side-on to see if they wave up and down. Obviously, if the rim shows any such movements, that is where the problem lies... the wheel is damaged.
Next, look side on, at where the tyre meets the rim. There should be a circumferential ridge on the rubber visible within a few millimetres of the rim (varies with the make and model of tyre) and this should be a pretty constant distance from the rim all the way round. If it's not, then the tyre isn't evenly seated, either because it's damaged/defective or because the shop didn't do a good job of putting it on. (The latter is unlikely, the only time I've experienced that was when I tried to replace a tyre myself with a few poxy tyre levers and several of my mum's spoons.)
Finally, view the wheel from the front again and see if the shape stays constant as it spins.