Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:15 pm

Author Topic: Riding Abroad  (Read 6362 times)

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Riding Abroad
« on: 11 June 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Hi Foccers,

here's one for you: riding into the EU, what's needed?

I've found a lot of conflicting informations saying you need a GB sticker and some saying not.
 Also headlight beam deflectors, are they necessary? I've noticed that on the 04-06 FZ6 the dipped beam points down to the left.

Anything else that I should take special care of?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Riding Abroad
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 10:36:25 am »
Having just got back from the chateaux of our very own Big Mac I have a little recent experience but it depends where you are going as some countries change the rules slightly.

For France though I have some information. You should take the following with you.

Insurance certificate
V5 document (log book)
Driving licence (both parts)
Headlamps should have deflectors fitted to stop the light "kicking up" to teh left though most never bother
Spare bulb kit
Spare glasses (if you wear them whilst riding)
Breathalyser (from 1st July) - Yes it does say breathalyser but you can buy these on the ferry or in a supermarket when you get there for a couple of Euros apaprently.
Hi-Viz for if you break down on the motorway (needs to be easy to get to)
Lots of cash (or a cash card) to pay the on the spot fines
GB sticker or number plate with teh GB bit on it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 10:39:13 am »
Breathalyser!? Wow... wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.

In your recent experience did you use headlight deflectors? how where would you go about getting them/how much etc?

Thanks for the info BBrown.... very helpful!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 10:49:58 am »
Never used headlight deflectors before.
I put a spare headlamp bulb under the seat. I've never taken a hi-viz on the bike (do you need one on a bike?)
You need to carry all your documents with you (not photo copies) on the bike. If like me you have an old paper licence, that adds to the confusion :lol Don't leave them at the hotel, and you really do need around 90 euros on you to pay the speeding fine!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 10:52:10 am »
I have NEVER used headlight deflectors on the bike in the 8-10 times I have taken that across and rarely use them on the car. If you really really really want to abide by all the laws, you can get them from Halfords.

The breathalyser thing is a new french law that comes in 1st July. It needs to be a French one and needs to be unused so you should buy two incase they make you use one by the roadside as without a spare you cannot ride off after blowing negative :thumbup

When in France, as you enter a town or village the village name is in a rectangular sign with a red line around it. This is where the 50kph (30mph) limit starts. The end is when you get the same sing with a line through it. Stick to the 30/50/70kph limits and you shuold be OK. They have cameras out there but tend to be forward facing so nothing to really worry about but the Gendarmes do like hiding in bushes with their hairdryers so keep your eyes open or be prepared to open your wallet as they do on the spot fines there and without paying, you aint moving!

As Locksmith says, keep your original documents on you and keep the bulbs/hi-viz under the seat.

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 11:05:10 am »
All great information! I'll be sure to keep my speedo in mph and plead ignorance  :D

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 11:32:57 am »
keep my speedo in mph and plead ignorance
they do on the spot fines there and without paying, you aint moving!

I should have added, they all carry guns and do not have a sense of humor or allow for ignorance.

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2012, 12:05:36 pm »
Do any police officers have a sense of humour?! I've certainly never met one!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2012, 12:23:18 pm »
Do any police officers have a sense of humour?! I've certainly never met one!

You'd like to meet one that pulls jokes on you? Laughs along?

Arrr, here's a fine ticket for you, my good sir. 50 euros. But if you let me ride the bike for a spin, I could make it 20. Hahah, just joking.

Hahahah, yees, good one. Where did you get that cool hat, officer?

Flee market. Paid for it with five minutes of fear when salesman wasn't paying attention.

Ohohohohhoo. Jolly good, jolly good!

Etc.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2012, 02:05:41 pm »
It would definitely make the situation more interesting! Could be a giggle :lol

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2012, 06:15:07 pm »
The French will happily indulge in small talk but it will be very one sided and after all why not ...it's your time and they will make you pay for it....maybe even give you a lift to a cash point while your vehicle is recovered to a garage on the other side of the Departement and closed till Lundi....Fine if you like that kind of thing...otherwise 'schtum' is probably a good idea.
The Frying Scotsman

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2012, 09:45:26 pm »
I seem to attract this type of stereotypical officer. :rollin

Alexi Sayle in Supergrass. 1.18 secs
http://youtu.be/eklREyuwxxc

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2012, 11:25:21 pm »
I've rode abroad a few times.

Just with my hand this weather tho
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Mousemat

• The Gentleman
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda VFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2012, 10:13:03 am »
Hi,
Just back from France.

In Calais ALL british bikes were being stopped and had to produce breathalyser kits and Hi-Vis vests. A lot of money being made by police!!!

Breathalyser kits cost £4.99 in Halfords.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2012, 10:53:06 am »
Hi,
Just back from France.

In Calais ALL british bikes were being stopped and had to produce breathalyser kits and Hi-Vis vests. A lot of money being made by police!!!

Breathalyser kits cost £4.99 in Halfords.

I don't see how....

The breathalyser law doesn't come into force until 1st July & even then le plod can only tell you off for not having one until 1st Nov when they're allowed to fine you €11 for the offence.

The carrying of Hi viz vests has been a legal requirement for car drivers for a number of years, but they aren't a legal requirement for bikers. However, there is proposed legislation for riders to have to have 150 sq cm (basically an armband) of reflective material on the upper body, this is planned to come into force next year.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2012, 01:21:21 pm »
:agree

Breathalyser kits cost £4.99 in Halfords

Are they the French ones with the NF mark? If not they are useless for France.

DrGadget

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
    • DrGadget
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2012, 01:41:56 pm »
Yes, Halfords do the "nf" version for £4.99 for a duel kit. with Free P&P  :) 

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2012, 06:20:08 pm »
I tend to trust what the AA say  http://shop.theaa.com/content/driving-in-europe 

I tend to carry a hi viz vest everywhere now anyway. In a lot of countries you have to carry one in case of a breakdown.

Also, if you are going to Austria, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia and probably a few others, you need to buy a Vignette tax sticker even for bikes. €4.6 - 10 depending on the country for 10 days.

I've done quite a few trips abroad and only been stopped twice, both in Spain on off roading trips. Once when I was on my own and got stopped, the copper saluted, said I needed a GB sticker, checked my documents and said bye. The other they pulled the whole group 2 miles out of Bilbao, said 'theez bikes iz for tee mountains not the motorways'. They said we needed mirrors and indicators, tutted, then said bye.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2012, 06:22:12 pm »
ps. 50kph over the limit in France is an instant ban.  Happened to someone I know, he had to chain his bike up outside the cop shop and get the train home.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2012, 10:50:02 pm »
So what would they do if they ever work out it was me doing 140mph past a camera in a 90kph limit?

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2012, 01:41:15 am »

Sounds cool, so when le flic tries to do you for a traffic offence instead of meekly paying up on the spot you can open the kit, fish out a gauntlet, slap him in the face with it whilst selecting an appropriate insult about his mother from the supplied list & then offer him a choice of weapons & proceed to settle the matter in honourable tradition, man to man on the hard shoulder?

:)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2012, 07:04:40 am »
there will no doubt be confusion and opportunities for cops to spot fine, whatever the legislation. Best idea is just to buy the kits, and flog on e bay if not used.I too am packing a hi vis vest for the first time...its only £3...seems silly not to just chuck one in the panniers. I might even wear one in france, just to avoid being stopped.Its not worth the loss of time and inconvenience IMO just for the sake of being rebellious, on an issue which ones own opinion matters jack to french police....

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2012, 11:38:49 am »
Hi-vis vest - cost almost nothing and can be useful (fog, rain, or regulations that force you to have one).
Spare bulbs - also, cost little, are useful and need to be on the bike in some countries.
First aid kit: I always carry it, though not sure it is obligatory in Europe.

Breathalizer?! To test myself for drinking and driving?!? Did I get this right, it is used for such a thing? Fuck 'em, I'd just avoid France then.

Vignetes are obligatory on motorways only (Chech Republic, Slovenia, Austria, perhaps a few other countries).

On serbian motorways, pay toll is the same for bikes and cars, but if you just go round the ramp (there's alway room for a bike to pass), no one will pay any attention to you. Speed limit is ridicuosly strict, but cops will agree to let you go most times, for 10 - 20 euro bribe. Also, if you're on a motorcycle, just wave and go on when they try to stop you. Capital has a few cops on fast bikes, but few will bother to chase you, or even write your plates down. Just go.

In Hungary cops also accept bribe gladly.
In Croatia, some do, some can make a fuss out of it.
In Serbian parts of Bosnia, they are more than happy to be treated, while in Bosnian (federation) parts, it's a no-no!
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
I tend to trust what the AA say  http://shop.theaa.com/content/driving-in-europe 

I tend to carry a hi viz vest everywhere now anyway. In a lot of countries you have to carry one in case of a breakdown.

Also, if you are going to Austria, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia and probably a few others, you need to buy a Vignette tax sticker even for bikes. €4.6 - 10 depending on the country for 10 days.

I've done quite a few trips abroad and only been stopped twice, both in Spain on off roading trips. Once when I was on my own and got stopped, the copper saluted, said I needed a GB sticker, checked my documents and said bye. The other they pulled the whole group 2 miles out of Bilbao, said 'theez bikes iz for tee mountains not the motorways'. They said we needed mirrors and indicators, tutted, then said bye.

This is great Phil. Just a note though, in the small print of the headlight beam deflector part it states  "Note: this adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles as the beam pattern is more symmetrical but check that any extra loading has not affected the beam height."

Thought you guys might like to know that  :D

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2012, 09:02:11 am »

Sounds cool, so when le flic tries to do you for a traffic offence instead of meekly paying up on the spot you can open the kit, fish out a gauntlet, slap him in the face with it whilst selecting an appropriate insult about his mother from the supplied list & then offer him a choice of weapons & proceed to settle the matter in honourable tradition, man to man on the hard shoulder?

:)

:lol