Date: 25-04-24  Time: 17:20 pm

Author Topic: Rear suspension bush  (Read 9302 times)

martynR

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear suspension bush
« on: 29 September 2011, 04:39:38 pm »
Hi, just wondering if any one had a MOT advisory of a rear suspension bush free play?

I did try to find what is moving and there was a slight play at the bottom of the shock absorber that is connected to some metal piece (part of where the dog bones are kept). I thought there was a bush, but at the dealers it showed up as some bearing. So, does that bearing suppose to be moving?

Cheers

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
Re: Rear suspension bush
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2011, 06:19:25 pm »
"They all do that Sir!"

There is a bearing and a metal bush - several in fact - and play does develop.

If you swap out all the bearings, bushes and dust seals, you will be about £70 worse off.

And you will still have play.... :'(

Many Yam's are the same - I helped on an MoT on a 57 plate R6 yesterday and..... it had a small amount of play in the linkages.

On the Gas! :stop
On the Gas! :stop

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2011, 06:56:01 pm »
I had the same advisory 2 yrs ago, then nothing this year, same place!!
I am sure I read somewhere in a service manual there is 'allowable' play of 1 or 2 mm, but that may have been wishful thinking???? :)

martynR

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The top bush of the suspension is around £17, but if that does not make any difference then I am going to leave it. I believe if that was worse then it would have failed, but it was only an advisory.

Cheers  :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2011, 09:03:11 pm »
I had the same advisory this year (different test centre to last year). Looking back through the old forums I noticed that exactly as TMW says it seems to be a common occurance and replacing all of the bearings and bushes in the linkage wont eliminate the play.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2011, 09:15:13 pm »
If you slip a chock under the wheel to raise it enough to feel the shock's resistance and then torque all bolts, it can help. Mine's got virtually no play in the linkages having done this, and the bushes are 87,000 miles old. (and still in pristine condition, with no wear, just slight discolouration)

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2011, 10:07:36 pm »
Found a little play in mine earlier this year,being picky (nay paranoid) i changed the lot £70 odd quid or thereabouts hell of a difference................................... to my bank balance but no difference to the bike.Live with it lesson learnt :\

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2011, 11:26:05 pm »
to be honest most of the bearings can be bought from a local bearing supplier,i had a FJ1200 a few years a go which had vertical play and like some of your fazers had an advisory,i went to a local bearing supplier and i ordered in a sperical bearing which from yamaha was around £100,i sourced one for around £20 so a massive saving,ok it was not 100% the same but was close enough but the play was now not there any more

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2011, 11:36:54 pm »
to be honest most of the bearings can be bought from a local bearing supplier
Whilst thats undeniable the point is that replacing the suspension linkage bearings and bushes due to a minimal amount of play appears to be futile.

pinkbikerfzs1

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2011, 12:45:07 pm »
I'll go along with this, it's an age old problem, I found it's the bushes that are undersize, but there are no substitutes, just smile at the MOT tester and if he wants to pursue it, there is plenty of evidence that new bushes/bearings do not provide a fix .. Does this also mean that Yamaha are providing parts "not fit for use" thats one for the lawyers!! lol.. :evil

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
IMO the advisory is just that, an advisory. It all depends what the tester deems unsafe, one Mot station might pass something  and issue an advisory on it, the next station might deem it unsafe and fail it, the next might pass and not bother with an advisory, if I get an advisory on the cage i usually have a look at it and access the situation from there. Not all Mot stations issue advisories, its up to themselves if they do or don't. HTH.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2011, 05:17:55 pm »
Do be careful with advisories, some insurance companies will use it to get out of paying  :eek

If you read the back of your MOT cert, it says not sorting advisories may leave you uninsured... or summat :/

But as you say, it depends on the mechanic and might not be an advisory next time...

Play on..