Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:45 pm

Author Topic: Motorway Limit to 90  (Read 9099 times)

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
Motorway Limit to 90
« on: 29 September 2011, 04:26:16 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/motorway-speed-limit-to-be-raised-2362980.html

I like the quote that safety shouldn't be the only issue when setting speed limits. :eek

and the one about raising the speed limit should boost the economy. :'(
Ye Gods help us if that's the best the Tories can do for the economy  :lol
Expect limitless motorways some :D

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
Re: Motorway Limit to 80
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2011, 05:34:05 pm »
Oop's typo should be 80  :\

subby

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Motorway Limit to 90
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2011, 05:40:42 pm »
I think its about time, most people sit around the 80mph mark anyhow, i was on the M2

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2011, 06:25:09 pm »
I think its about time, most people sit around the 80mph mark anyhow, i was on the M2

Aye, but if a change to 80 mph came in most people would then drive at 90 mph and want the limit pushing up again... I don't really have an opinion on this but think it must be 70 mph for a reason?
thou shalt not kick

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2011, 06:38:05 pm »
?????????????? motorways ?????????????? not my kinda riding
back roads 4 me  :-)
waters wet, shit stinks !

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2011, 06:44:17 pm »
Rob, it was set to 70 back in the day that the average family car wouldn't do much more than 80-90 flat out and dstopping/steering at that speed was a bit dodgy to say the least.

The average car today will happily cruise at 90+ and stop quicker and steer safer at speeds well above this than cars did from 50mph when the 70mph limit was set. Officially it was set for "fuel economy reasons" and as a result today, many people shoose to drive slower still now that fuel is £6+ a gallon.
My view is as already said by Rob, set the limit to 80mph and some will drive at 90mph instead. I know I normally push the limit a little to make some progress. On a short journey, an extra 10mph will make little difference to your arrival time, but over say a 100mile journey, the difference between 70mph and 80mph makes 10 miutes differnce in the journey, 20 minutes if the speed was 90mph.

Lets do as in Germany, unlimted away from built up areas and 70 around sities where traffic is heavier or like France, 80mph normally but reduced to 70mph if there is spray.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2011, 06:47:46 pm »
that been the case bbrown ????????? set off ten minutes ealier on your journey and still be on time
waters wet, shit stinks !

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2011, 09:15:45 pm »
it was set to 70 back in the day that the average family car wouldn't do much more than 80-90 flat out and stopping/steering at that speed was a bit dodgy to say the least.

The average car today will happily cruise at 90  and stop quicker and steer safer at speeds well above this than cars did from 50mph when the 70mph limit was set.

Very true but those old cars also were deafening from engine road and wind noise.
The steering would rattle and shake ( well did on my ols Viva at 70 )

so there was a lot going on to keep you attentive and concentrate on what you were doing.

With modern cars and bikes it's so easy to top the ton and not even realise you are doing it , that a moments lapse can be catastrophic.

With the traffic volumes what they are now, I think better use should be made of the matrix boards and the motorway speed should be set at viable,
Which they virtually are now anyway near to any major town or city

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
With the way cars and bikes are now mechanically, they are more than safe at 100  its the driver / rider that may lack the skill.
I would be happy to see it raised to up to 100. and would be happy to see the police spending more time pulling over dangerous drivers rather than speeders.
i doubt many would actually drive much faster than 80 anyway as the cost of fuel on a long trip allways nags at the back of your mind now.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2011, 11:29:35 pm »
The thing is, as it says, most people drive at 80 these days anyway and the Police generally turn a blind eye because it's not unsafe. (I did once get a friendly warning from a Copper who stopped me when I was doing "over 90" but because I wasn't riding like a twat he left it at that.)

Telling people they can drive at 80 will just make them think "well, it's probably going to be ok to drive at 90 now" and probably nose to tail in the outside lane too...  :rolleyes

Thing is though, as it says: "Bigger lorries above 7.5 tons are restricted to 60mph on motorways and this is expected to remain" in other words, Crawler Races will now be even *more* of a PITA.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2011, 11:04:47 am »
Having different limits in different conditions is too open to interpretation for me and could result in unfair punishments for good drivers or idiots getting off cos they know what to say when they're pulled over.

I don't think I'd mind seeing an increase to the limit if there was compulsory motorway training before new drivers are allowed on them but then I think there should be a maneuvers module module for cars like there is bikes...
thou shalt not kick

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2011, 11:47:53 am »
Leave it as it is and spend more time penalising motorists hogging the wrong lane.
If they moved over the traffic would move much more freely.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2011, 12:03:41 pm »
:agree about the training and make it an offence to not move over.

Make trucks ony use the roads between 10pm and 6am.

Increase the speed limit to 80 or 90 but, like in France, reduce to 70 if the roads are wet

Put more traffic police on the road to enforce the new laws.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2011, 02:20:56 pm »

Make trucks ony use the roads between 10pm and 6am.

Would be a good idea, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a supermarket getting deliveries throughout the night...

Make at least 5 lanes per direction on all motorways, speed limit per group of lanes? ie. lanes 1&2 between 60-75, lanes 3&4 70-90, lane 5 - motorbikes with fazer written on them, unlimited :)

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

Would be a good idea, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a supermarket getting deliveries throughout the night...

Most supermarket distribution is done through the night.
but when there's local ordinances about noise many shops in smaller areas  have no option but to get deliveries after 8 am or whenever the ordinance permits.

Also many deliveries IE construction sites etc also have those type of traffic noise restrictions placed on them.
Plus the added cost of employing nighttime staff to check and receive deliveries.
Can't see that fitting in with the Tories better for the economy higher limits approach.
Still not getting how raising the limit for cars will help the economy when the trucks will still be limited to what they are now.
seems it will just be the reps getting the benefit

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2011, 03:27:14 pm »
higher speed limit = more petrol used obviously Raz, so one would assume most MPs have a large number of shares in the oil companies.

actually, if it's to improve flow, the Danish have it right - overtaking restrictions on vehicles over a certain length on certain parts of the multi lane highways. ie any hill.

also, (my idea, thinking on the fly) retraining of cagers to understand that it's the ones joining a motorway/dual carriageway that have to give way and adjust their speed. as it is no one sits in lane 1 cos that's the lane that taffic joins. and it should not do so in a queue nose to tail either.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2011, 04:41:48 pm »
They should get rid of speed restrictions now on Motorways, only use the "variable speed limits" more often, and become tougher on those that exceed that restriction.
Or maybe say, do what speed you want... but if you get caught over 99mph its an instant 12month ban.

SIMPLES  :D
Ride It Like You've Stole It

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2011, 11:37:25 pm »
so set the limit to 99mph?  :lol

Every supermarket I've worked in/spoken too has some sort of curfew in place which always seemed silly to me, you don't want lorries clogging up the place during the day...

yeah - helping the economy = spending more at the petrol pumps where it's mostly tax... giving the government more money :) so they can decide next year 110mph is probably safe...

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2011, 05:05:08 pm »
ha yeah set it to 99mph.....

But then i live in bham at the dreaded m6/m5 interchange so i never see more than 25mph on the motorway! On the odd occasion its open of a night its usually 1 lane anyways so end up filtering at 20mph!  :'(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2011, 04:19:55 pm »
higher speed limit = more petrol used obviously Raz, so one would assume most MPs have a large number of shares in the oil companies.

Or more tax revenue for the Treasury...

also, (my idea, thinking on the fly) retraining of cagers to understand that it's the ones joining a motorway/dual carriageway that have to give way and adjust their speed. as it is no one sits in lane 1 cos that's the lane that taffic joins. and it should not do so in a queue nose to tail either.

Approaching a junction where there's a slip road, if the traffic is reasonably free flowing I'll move out from Lane 1 to Lane 2 to make it easier for people to join and to make it safer for me in case someone "doesn't see me" because they've not checked properly.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2011, 01:10:54 pm »
Is it still 10%+2 (ish) above the speed limit for the road as discretion for tyre wear and calibration of speedo's? I know if you run a satnav next to your bike or car speedo you will be sadly dissapointed!

I agree- with higher speed there is a need for higher skills all round but how would you enforce extra training? another plate for the main driver bnut he/she may not be driving at the time.........

I like the French idea about slower in the wet but then the barrack room lawyers would want a definition of 'wet'- is that full raining or just drizzle or passing through wet roads when the shower has passed?  :eek

If lorries stay at their slower 60mph- will that apply to caravans too? or maybe ban them from the road alltogether except in the silent hours through the night- now there's a thought!
59 going on 57

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2011, 03:38:37 pm »
Or keep the limit the same but let us under and over take slower vehicles that would speed up flow
Its just a ride

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 October 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
Think reminding/forcing people to keep left is a great idea. Rather than banning lorries from the road altogether ban them from overtaking at peak times.
thou shalt not kick

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
BR, that was discussed a few years back, but the outcry from the road safety crowd put an instant stop to it - but having driven in the states a couple of months back, where overtaking on both sides is allowed, it seemed fine to me - at least people seemed to have more awareness of what was around them before changing lane. There would no doubt be a "transition" phase here, if it was brought in, while people got used to it - with a corresponding (& temporary) increase in accident rate - and that alone will likely mean it never happens. Shame though.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 October 2011, 06:59:57 pm »
Or keep the limit the same but let us under and over take slower vehicles that would speed up flow

That Sounds Great with people that can drive but it seems that people dont know how to overtake properly, or use mirrors, or even look out of windows! :\