Date: 26-04-24  Time: 20:28 pm

Author Topic: Legal question.. Leathermans??  (Read 3704 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Legal question.. Leathermans??
« on: 24 May 2012, 10:09:08 pm »
I have a leathermans multitool ( Other makes also available!!!) which I am allowed to wear at work , its actually on my belt and I cant get it off now lol!
 if i wear said belt on / or over my leathers am I breaking any laws?
its longest blade is bout 3 inch long

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Legal question.. Leathermans??
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2012, 10:18:14 pm »
as far as i can remember as long as the longest blade is less than 3" long and not a flick knife type you should be ok.
if in doubt, pop into the pig sty when it is quiet and ask !

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012, 10:42:08 pm »
By what you are saying I take it the pouch is stuck to your belt, the multitool can be taken out of the pouch and placed in yer pocket. thus having an empty pouch on yer belt would not be an offence  :pokefun I think its under3" for a blade to be legal.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 10:46:33 pm »
Yeah its a webbing belt and the ends are crimped tight so it wont "re-adjust" its self.
yeah i could stick tool in my pocket at least that way if i'm stopped I can explain to Police.
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2012, 10:47:31 pm »
I can't remember, but I think there're rules about locking blades, too, which leathermans do.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2012, 11:49:45 pm »
The 3" exemption applies only to pen or folding knives, as the leatherman has a locking blade it's classed as a fixed blade & it is illegal to carry one in a public place without good cause.  "Good cause" for possessing a knife is for example a chef transporting his kitchen knives whilst traveling to/from work.

So if you can prove you need it as part of your job & can't leave it at work, then I guess you'll be covered for going to & from work.

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 01:34:40 am »

Depends on the copper and the location.

I have been told to remove craft knife from dash board of van when I was stopped for traffic offence and to carry it in the back of the van in future.
When I asked about if I was just going to and from work on public transport or walking was told it should be in a tool box.

Also been stopped emptied my pockets and pulled out a craft knife and copper never batted an eyelid  :\

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012, 10:52:32 pm »
I have a Swiss army knife that I leave in the car in the well behind the handbrake- that is about a 3" blade and lockable- is it illegal to have it in the car- obviously being a Swiss army knife I have it for all the bits and bobs rather than the locking blade
59 going on 57

Leonidas

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2012, 04:04:23 pm »
Is is an offence to be in possession of any sharply bladed or poited article unless it a tool of the trade and you have good reason to have it on you. Any locking blade is an offensive weapon per se.i
What matters is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2012, 08:52:10 pm »
Hmmm better put it in my toolbox in the boot then......... But it is a Swiss army knife! It's how they come there must be millions out there
59 going on 57

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
It's gone !

Glad you told me I had no idea

I  always carried a penknife with me until recently I have had one in my pocket since I was  a small boy
59 going on 57

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2012, 08:18:02 am »
I've carried a leatherman (core) for the last 7 / 8 years, on my belt, every day except holidays. Never been questioned about it and it's been in a few pubs and police stations with me.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2012, 08:22:07 am »
It's funny something you have always done can get you pulled
Nearly 60 white beard but still subject to the same laws as current hooligans who would have a different use for a knife
59 going on 57

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2012, 09:22:54 pm »
I've carried a leatherman (core) for the last 7 / 8 years, on my belt, every day except holidays. Never been questioned about it and it's been in a few pubs and police stations with me.

Its all about location, I m sure Looney you would not raise an eye brow in your location even if the knife was replaced with a shot gun, as everyone would just think when hes do this hes off to catch some dinner.
 In London all hell would break out full Police turn out.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2012, 08:23:25 am »
Very true Chris

Few years ago I walked into a local shop with a gun (in a case) over my shoulder and asked the girl (a friend) to empty the till into a bag. Some peoples faces were a picture  :lol
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2012, 12:49:43 pm »
Damp undies I would expect :eek
59 going on 57

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
Why does anyone feel the need to carry a knife, unless you're using it for work purposes? I don't really get it. I definitely don't 'get' wearing one over your leathers! In the event of an accident it may break free and stab you in the unmentionables!! :eek :eek

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
I always used to carry a swiss army knife, I bought my first one in the 80's, I was fed up of going to parties and finding the cork screw had been hidden by some one who wanted all the wine. I found the screw driver things came in handy too.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2012, 04:52:27 pm »
I carry a Leatherman charge almost all the time. It's the tools, as well as the knife (which is also a tool). When I don't carry it, I usually need it. :)   

Opening tins, doing small repairs etc. It is small and handy. However, I never carry it on my belt - feels awkward. It's in my backpack, or packed if I'm riding bicycle/motorcycle.  If anyone asked - it's for fixing things (or camping, if I'm traveling). Would that be illegal in England? To carry Leatherman in your topbox?  Just figuratively speaking, of course cops could never catch me on the black fazer! ARRR!
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2012, 05:14:30 pm »
 Here you go rules direct from the horses mouth
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CRIMEJUSTICEANDTHELAW/Typesofcrime/DG_181675Basic rules on knives If you’re planning to buy or carry a knife, it’s important to know the rules. Anyone found breaking these laws can face up to four years in prison.
These include:
  • it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18
  • it is a crime to carry a knife in public without good reason – for example, if you work as a chef
  • the maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is four years in prison and a fine of £5000
  • it is illegal to carry, buy or sell any type of knife banned by the government (the list of banned knives is below)
  • knives with folding blades, like Swiss Army knives, are not illegal as long as the blade is three inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • if any knife is used in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife), it is regarded as an 'offensive weapon' by the law
  • any sharp instrument – even a screwdriver – can be viewed by the police as an illegal offensive weapon if you do not have a good reason for carrying it
  Illegal knives There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives, which are considered to be offensive weapons.
These include:
  • flick knives - knives where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed; these are also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives'
  • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
  • disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
  • gravity knives
  • sword-sticks
  • samurai swords
  • hand-claws
  • foot-claws
  • belt-buckle knives
  • push daggers
  • kubotan (cylindrical container, holding spikes)
  • shuriken (also known as 'death stars' or 'throwing stars')
  • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
This is not a complete list. If you think a knife you want to buy might be illegal, please check with your local police force.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

TuonoV

• Runnin' on fumes optimistic Foccer
    Ace Ventz-Tuono, Bike detective
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2012, 07:28:56 pm »
There are some knives which are always classified as weapons (like butterfly knives or knives which are spring loaded), but the leatherman or swiss army type knives would depend on who is carrying them and why.

It is generally very obvious who should and who shouldn't be carrying a knife - one of the local gang members carrying a folding swiss army knife with a blade less than 3 inches long which is perfectly legal under the knife laws would be dealt with (under offensive weapon laws) - whereas a workman with a toolbox full of tools walking to a job with a locking knife generally would not (Again depending on the circumstances - if the said workmen was in a pub on a friday night this may change).

Put simply - the offensive weapons law falls into 2 categories - something which is made or adapted to be a weapon (Made would be a kosh, adapted would be a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it), or what might be a completely innocent object which is intended to be used as a weapon (Such as a swiss army knife).

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
Its interesting isnt it- well mine is in the boot in my toolbox now where I can still get it to open a bottle of wine (Not me driving officer) or one of the many other things a SAK can do (mine doesnt have the extremenly useful thingy to get stones out of horses hooves)

I dont carry my Army clasp knife on me any more

Good job I dont carry the Kukri I have from when I was in Hong Kong with the ghurka's  :o

I sound like a right nutter dont I ..... but as I said I have carried a pocket knife since I was a small boy until recently and in answer to Tori's question.... I have found a knife invaluable for so many things from cutting an apple to opening parcels and as I work on sites away from home all the time its a multi tool for so many things.... as for the kukri- it is brilliant at trimming trees and hedges amongst other things

I wont carry one again and it is probably good I got this advice before I got randomly stopped for some misdemeaner and found in possession! :D
59 going on 57