Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:26 am

Author Topic: oil warning light  (Read 4661 times)

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
oil warning light
« on: 14 May 2012, 06:29:57 pm »
Riding to work this morning the oil light briefly flashed on, I was just tootling along about 30mph, only done about 5 miles. Checked oil level at work, seems fine about half way between min & max.
Any ideas? it's not done it again.
Have read somewhere that it's best to keep oil topped up to the top of the sight glass. Anyone else do this?
Cheers
John

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: oil warning light
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2012, 07:39:57 pm »
You're right. Keep it topped up to the higher level and you should have no probs with the sensitive oil light coming on.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2012, 07:49:22 pm »
yes...as above,always on the top mark  :) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2012, 08:09:14 pm »
Thanks

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2012, 09:30:19 pm »
Mine does that occasionally, always at low speed and I always sh*t myself and stop! Leave it five minutes, check the oil and its fine everytime! Guess its one of those things that they call character!

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2012, 12:09:23 pm »
AMEN, to all of the above!
Been off work for the half term and not started bike for 6 days (going stir crazy)   :'(
Turned it over this morning and left it running for around 5 mins.
Came back out to it and the oil warning light was on. 5hit myself and switched engine off immediately.
Logged on, found this thread and breathed a sigh of relief!
By this time, the oil had had time to settle in the sight glass and it wasn't by any normal means, low but it was by the standards above.
Only topped it up by 250ml, if that. Turned the ignition on and the oil light extinguished after a couple of secs.
I then turned it over and ran it for 15 mins this time (sorry neighbours) and not even a flicker of warning light.
According to the BBC Weather site, I now have a 3 hour dry window to blow away those cobwebs and to scrub off the surface corrosion that's now appeared on the front discs (the Fazer God's way of saying, RIDE ME FOR FOC'S SAKE!)

Before and after pics below.....

I love this site!
« Last Edit: 09 June 2012, 12:34:56 pm by know your limitations »
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 12:16:39 pm »
My Fazer 1000 does this as well, I do 100 miles a day and if the oil level drops towards the lower level while pressing on, the oil light comes on. There is nothing to worry about, the fazer has a over sensitive oil gauge. I keep the level topped up to just over the upper limit and check it everyday. Another Fazer trait. Just include it in your pre-ride check.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2012, 03:46:10 pm »
My 600 did it last week for a mile whilst I was riding up a gentle slope. On the downwards side it went off but as I was doing 70 on the motorway it was a bit of a twitcher.

Got home and the oil level was halfway up the sight glass. Topped off and no more troubles so far. I'd just changed the oil and probably didn't put enough back in.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2012, 08:00:34 pm »
. I keep the level topped up to just over the upper limit

I do that too, every oil change I start her up for 2 mins then stop the engine and leave the oil to settle then top it up to the high level and add a extra gloop or two until the level just fills the window. I have to confess I don't check it every day tho as the oil warning light tells me when it gets to just below the upper line. (only happened once in 40.000 odd miles)