Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:28 pm

Author Topic: R1 front-end  (Read 2475 times)

ajhutchinson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki zx9r B4 + Versys 1000
    • View Profile
R1 front-end
« on: 26 September 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
Hi to all, first post on this new forum site.

Just finished my R1 front-end conversion using 5PW forks and yoke.  Took it out for a quick blast and found the front end a little soft, so need to do some adjustments. 

What I'm after is, does anyone know the standard settings for both preload, compression and damping for this model of R1

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: R1 front-end
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2011, 11:19:10 pm »
I can't see what good the standard settings for an R1 will do you considering the geometry and weight distribution will be totally different on the Fazer to what it was on the R1. There's a few folks who have done the same conversion it would probably be more worthwhile asking what settings they have ended up with.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: R1 front-end
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2011, 05:48:13 am »
Hi and welcome.  :)

I've got 5PW forks in mine but they have K-tech internals so my settings won't be of any use. 

You don't say what weight you are but I'd always start any suspension set-up work by measuring and adjusting the sag.  If it's the springs that are too soft, you'll find out this way and will know for sure that new springs are required.

Assuming you can get the sag right with the springs you have, I'd start the process of damping adjustment by turning the compression dampers a half turn out from max and do the same with the rebound screws, too.

IIRC, the adjustment range for compression is from 0 (max) to 13 clicks out.  Rebound screws are similar.  Standard settings are something like 7 clicks out (comp) and 5-6 clicks for rebound.

Mike

PS.  Useful guide to suspension set-up here.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2011, 05:49:57 am by Falcon 269 »