Date: 25-04-24  Time: 09:34 am

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 1691 times)

binitman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Insurance
« on: 29 April 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
 Did anybody know that crash bugs are classed as a modification and can void your insurance if you do not tell your broker?
 The only reason I know this is I own a 1999 Fazer and have added the decals form a 2000 Fazer. Last summer I had an accident  with a driver who didn't see me (we've all been there). When my bike went in for repair my broker rang me up to say my bike was not standard and this may effect my claim. I politely told him to go forth and multiply as I was not claiming on my insurance but the other driver. He explained to me that any modification  however small you may think it is must be declared.
 My claim did go through without any problems but be warned.
 Only issue I've got now is that I've got heated grips, a hugger, braided hoses, a gear indicator and luggage on the bike so getting a quote is a nightmare.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2012, 05:15:57 pm »
Ebike will quote you with mods no problem.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2012, 05:17:44 pm »
Ebike were allways good with me declaring mods but I didn't like the company. I told them about most of my mods right down to heated grips and crash bungs it normaly increases me by about a fiver or not at all. This includes jet kits, pipe, air filter, rear race shock and fork work plus lots more.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2012, 06:28:10 pm »
I did re-insure with Bennets after I looked at the proposal form and 'lights' is one modification, 'tank pad' is another and 'radiators bars' is another- thats all I have had done to my bike so my renewal was around £70 with european cover and pillion and business use for my FZ6S2
59 going on 57

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2012, 09:36:50 pm »
I declared my crash bungs, can, luggage and scotoiler when I changed over to Carole Nash, no extra premium, the guy asked if it had a power commander, that was all he was worried about.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2012, 10:09:43 pm »
I'm with Devitts and they have no problem with the mods on my bike :) , providing they don't alter the performance ;) . As far as they are concerned as long has they've been notified as to what's been added or altered, no problem. However, god forbid you have a prang  :'( , as they will only replace with standard parts. Though alot of the time these are more expensive than aftermarket ones :\
My list includes: R6 rear shock upgrade, hugger, indicators, belly pan, swingarm, givi rack and box, seat, undertray, end can etc.
If it helps I'm paying £135.00 a year fully comp with my FZS 600 included.
Can't moan at that :thumbup

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2012, 08:47:21 am »
Some companies are a bit anal about any modifications, others see the benefits and others just see sense and do not add to the premium.

I see modifications as one of three things.
- Performance modifications (The insurance companies should be told about these)
- Bling (This coudl make the bike more attractive to a thieving scrote so again, they want to know)
- Comfort/maintainability (Things like heated grips, luggage and scottoilers - Make no real difference to anything other than your comfort so insurance companies dont care)

All my mods so far are in the last group and made no difference to the cost of the policy.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2012, 08:58:39 am »
Insurance companies should be told about anything that deviates from the manufacturers spec. Some insurers will not insure anything non standard and will void your policy in the event of a claim. Others will add no loading for mods. Shop around.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2012, 10:40:00 am »
If you want to claim for anything extra after a crash or theft you will have to declare it. i.e. 700 quids worth of Givi luggage and racks, Custom paint job, Crash bungs, GPS and yes even heated grips etc etc. Why should they cover it if you don't declare it.

On normal type bolt on bits its the cost of replacement rather than any possible performance increase that will effect the premiums.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2012, 11:48:45 am »
If you are lucky enough to buy a new bike, get the dealer to fit all the add-ons you might like.

All my Fazer add-ons were done at purchase and can be legitimately claimed for.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2012, 01:33:07 pm »
If you are lucky enough to buy a new bike, get the dealer to fit all the add-ons you might like.

All my Fazer add-ons were done at purchase and can be legitimately claimed for.

Friend of mine had £2000 taken of his car claim because it had alloy wheels as standard from the dealer (insurance told him it was added extra)
so always check first.

I tried listing all my mods, premium went from £250 to £1500... And that's for the 'non performance' things such as heated grips and crash bars..
Probably because I'm 22...