Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:29 pm

Author Topic: EU Anti tamper law plans  (Read 4183 times)

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
EU Anti tamper law plans
« on: 23 April 2012, 11:27:42 pm »
I was reading an artical today about these planned anti tamper or modification laws.
Now i'm getting worried, i've just spent the last 2 years doing up my bike with a liberal sprinkle of after market parts so i'll be pretty p***ed off if my bike ends up ilegal because i made it how i like it. What about highly modified cars, they don't seem to be gatting any attention, what about all the manufacturers that make these parts that will be outlawed, bad for employment, bad for the economy and bike shows are going to get really boring, rows of bog standard bikes.
A vote on this was moved to july from this month (april) so there isn't much time to do any thing about this.
I would be interested to hear how others feel about this and if anyone knows of any protests going on or other events highlighting this.

There ain't arf been some clever bastards

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: EU Anti tamper law plans
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2012, 11:33:21 pm »
Tell us your favourite link to these anti-tamper laws and we'll tell you how we feel.

Problem is: there's been a lot of scare-mongering in the past and no-one knows what's really coming unless its either passed by the UK parliament or its a proper adopted "European directive".

So, tell us all about it.  :)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2012, 11:39:42 pm »
It's on page 22 of the latest Bike magazine
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2012, 05:59:13 am »
As I understand it, it's more about tuning as the EU ( Germans) believe when you tamper with the ecu you make the engine less green. Not heard anything else about it other than in Germany if you make any modifications you can only use approved parts and must get the vehicle TUV ( like mot) tested again even of it was only the screen you changed.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 11:23:54 am »
Now i'm getting worried, i've just spent the last 2 years doing up my bike
I think it's just for bikes registered after it becomes law.  Same as they didn't take all the carb Fazers off the road when the emissions law changed.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 12:00:43 pm »
I think it's just for bikes registered after it becomes law.

Not quite true ... The French have approved a law banning all bikes older than 7 years from city centres on emission grounds but they haven't yet implemented it.

The power-train anti tamper rules make interesting politics and I think it goes like this:

Most Bikers are sensible, they play with their bikes and add 'bling' here and there because it makes them think they are going faster or riding a more desirable machine.
A small minority go OTT and add very loud cans and hoon about all over the place p*ssing off the general public.
In the process some of them kill and maim themselves in a spectacular fashion and others appear in court for doing 150 in a 30 limit.
The beurocrats react to what is a genuine road-safety and public nuisance issue by attempting to restrict freedoms when in fact they have enough laws already to solve the problem.
They just don't enforce them.

The result will be that you can't buy a 70HP bike and bling it to make 75HP but you CAN buy a 170HP bike and do 200MPH - which is clearly madness.

They should solve it by banning the "harm" and not "the suspected cause of the harm".
I'm all in favour of banning loud cans but I think they should do it by passing a law that says that no-one can emit more than X noise for more than 5 minutes.
That would catch the stupid leaf-blowers and t*sser builders with loud radios and the world would be a better place.

Reminds me of the scene from Woddy Allen's "Bananas" where they determine that everyone should wear clean underpants and that in order that the law can be policed everyone has to wear their underpants outside their trousers.

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2012, 01:13:34 pm »
If you want to find out more about this the M.A.G Site is the place to visit.

This is the latest I can find on their site about it
http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6955]
[url]http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6955
[/url]

You can see the The Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations (F.E.M.A)

Responses to the legislation here

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?page=vehicle-aspects

Watch these to sites for news of protests and such

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
[/size]I've just found this on the interweb on BMF site it clarifies things a bit, i assume it relates to new bikes (ABS, emisions etc)  feeling a bit better now. Still needs more clarification but there is mention of still being able to modify our bikes, how much is the questions any way unless the police are issued with full specs of all bikes i don't know how they will be able to enforce this.
[/size]I remember the leg protectors proposals of the 80s and how close it came to being implomented we can't just hope it will all be ok because it might not be.
Motorbikes need to be safer and greener, say
Internal Market Committee MEPs
[/font][/size]
Committees: Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection
[/font][/size]
New rules to make motorbikes safer and more environmentally friendly got the
thumbs up from Parliament's Internal Market Committee on Monday, when it adopted
a report on a common system of type approval for powered two-wheel vehicles ranging
from mopeds to heavy motorcycles.
[/font][/size][/b]
The committee points out that Europe's cities would be much less congested and cleaner
if more two-wheeled vehicles were used. However, given that motorbikes, scooters and
mopeds currently account for 16 per cent of the deaths on Europe's road, even though they
only make up two per cent of traffic, they must be made safer.
"From today, riding a motorbike has become greener and safer", said Wim van de Camp
(EPP, NL), who is steering the legislation through Parliament. "These vehicles will increase
urban mobility, use less space, waste less energy and have a reduced level of emissions."
[/font][/size]
Safer vehicles
[/font][/size][/b]
The committee says that under the new rules to be met by the motorcycle industry, anti-lock
braking systems (ABS) must be fitted to all bikes with engines above 51 cc. This is stricter
than the Commission's original proposal of mandatory ABS systems for bikes over 125 cc.
MEPs support new anti-tampering measures designed to make it impossible to increase the
speed of the vehicles by tampering with their powertrain, while ensuring that these measures
will not prevent bikers from modifying their vehicles in other ways. MEPs also welcome the
tougher rules on llghting in order to improve visibility
MEPs stress that manufacturers must provide unrestricted access to vehicle repair and
maintenance information for everyone, including independent dealers and repairers, to ensure
that the vehicles are maintained safely.
[/font][/size]
Cleaner engines
[/font][/size][/b]
Two, three and four-wheel (L-category) vehicles emit a disproportionally high level of pollutants.
MEPs want to bring down these levels by extending the Euro 3 standards to mopeds
from 1 January 2016, with the more stringent Euro 4 and Euro 5 standards for heavy motorbikes
from 2016 and Euro 6 limits from 2020.
The committee is also calling on the Commission to carry out a comprehensive environmental
impact study by 1 January 2016 to evaluate the air quality and share of pollutants
contributed by L-category vehicles..
It welcomes the gradual introduction of increasingly advanced On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
systems to monitor malfunctions and hence make information on emissions easily available
so that the vehicle can be repaired.
A total of around 30 million vehicles are included in the L-category which covers a wide range
of vehicles including motorbikes, scooters, mopeds, electric bicycles, all terrain vehicles and
quads.
[/font][/size]
Press release
[/font][/size][/color][/b]
20111205IPR33211 - 2/2
[/font][/size]
Mr Van De Camp's draft report was adopted by 28 votes, with none against and three abstentions.
[/font][/size]
Next steps
[/font][/size][/b]
The committee will now decide on whether to open negotiations with the Council with a view
to reaching agreement.at first reading on the new regulation harmonising conditions for the
approval of L-category vehicles.
[/font][/size]
In the Chair: Committee Chair Malcolm Harbour (ECR, UK)
[/font][/size][/i]
Rikke ULDALL
[/font][/size][/b]
BXL: (+32) 2 28 42976
STR: (+33) 3 881 72033
PORT: (+32) 498 98 32 57
EMAIL: [/font][/size]imco-press@europarl.europa.eu

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2012, 06:57:14 pm »
Sorry about strange way this turned out it looked layed out when i was wrighting it.
I've just found this on the interweb on BMF site it clarifies things a bit, i assume it relates to new bikes (ABS, emisions etc)  feeling a bit better now. Still needs more clarification but there is mention of still being able to modify our bikes, how much is the questions any way unless the police are issued with full specs of all bikes i don't know how they will be able to enforce this.
I remember the leg protectors proposals of the 80s and how close it came to being implomented we can't just hope it will all be ok because it might not be.
Motorbikes need to be safer and greener, say
Internal Market Committee MEPs
Committees: Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection
New rules to make motorbikes safer and more environmentally friendly got the
thumbs up from Parliament's Internal Market Committee on Monday, when it adopted
a report on a common system of type approval for powered two-wheel vehicles ranging
from mopeds to heavy motorcycles.
The committee points out that Europe's cities would be much less congested and cleaner
if more two-wheeled vehicles were used. However, given that motorbikes, scooters and
mopeds currently account for 16 per cent of the deaths on Europe's road, even though they
only make up two per cent of traffic, they must be made safer.
"From today, riding a motorbike has become greener and safer", said Wim van de Camp
(EPP, NL), who is steering the legislation through Parliament. "These vehicles will increase
urban mobility, use less space, waste less energy and have a reduced level of emissions."
Safer vehicles
The committee says that under the new rules to be met by the motorcycle industry, anti-lock
braking systems (ABS) must be fitted to all bikes with engines above 51 cc. This is stricter
than the Commission's original proposal of mandatory ABS systems for bikes over 125 cc.
MEPs support new anti-tampering measures designed to make it impossible to increase the
speed of the vehicles by tampering with their powertrain, while ensuring that these measures
will not prevent bikers from modifying their vehicles in other ways. MEPs also welcome the
tougher rules on llghting in order to improve visibility
MEPs stress that manufacturers must provide unrestricted access to vehicle repair and
maintenance information for everyone, including independent dealers and repairers, to ensure
that the vehicles are maintained safely.
Cleaner engines
Two, three and four-wheel (L-category) vehicles emit a disproportionally high level of pollutants.
MEPs want to bring down these levels by extending the Euro 3 standards to mopeds
from 1 January 2016, with the more stringent Euro 4 and Euro 5 standards for heavy motorbikes
from 2016 and Euro 6 limits from 2020.
The committee is also calling on the Commission to carry out a comprehensive environmental
impact study by 1 January 2016 to evaluate the air quality and share of pollutants
contributed by L-category vehicles..
It welcomes the gradual introduction of increasingly advanced On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
systems to monitor malfunctions and hence make information on emissions easily available
so that the vehicle can be repaired.
A total of around 30 million vehicles are included in the L-category which covers a wide range
of vehicles including motorbikes, scooters, mopeds, electric bicycles, all terrain vehicles and
quads.
Press release
20111205IPR33211 - 2/2
Mr Van De Camp's draft report was adopted by 28 votes, with none against and three abstentions.
Next steps
The committee will now decide on whether to open negotiations with the Council with a view
to reaching agreement.at first reading on the new regulation harmonising conditions for the
approval of L-category vehicles.
In the Chair: Committee Chair Malcolm Harbour (ECR, UK)
Rikke ULDALL
BXL: (+32) 2 28 42976
STR: (+33) 3 881 72033
PORT: (+32) 498 98 32 57
EMAIL: imco-press@europarl.europa.eu

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2012, 06:59:51 pm »
Try this.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2012, 01:47:01 am »
I think it's just for bikes registered after it becomes law.

Not quite true ... The French have approved a law banning all bikes older than 7 years from city centres on emission grounds but they haven't yet implemented it.

Not quite true....   :lol

They've approved legislation allowing cities to ban cars produced before 1998, coaches & lorries produced before 2001 &  bikes produced before 2004 from their city centres on an experimental basis & AIUI 8 cities are introducing such bans from July this year.

The reason for the different cut-off dates for different classes of vehicles is that it's to do with when they became liable to meet the various Euro emission laws.

So in reality this has nothing at all to do with anti-bike legislation, it's to do with reducing air pollution in large cities (like the London Low Emission Zone), the only reason it applies to newer bikes than cars is because we got away with not having to meet the stricter emissions rules for longer than cars.

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2012, 11:25:45 pm »
I've been riding bikes since I was16.
I'm now nearly 60
There are not many bikes that I haven't ridden.
My first 'proper' bike had meggas, ultra loud.
My current bike has open Ackras
l'm not going to apologise for the noise my bikes may or may not make.
I'm perfectly ok with being branded 'anti-social', as since the 70's motorcycling as a whole has been considered ant social. Nothing has changed, with the exception that motorcycling is now being attacked from within.
Loud exhausts? I can't remember the last time I read about an accident being caused by a loud exhaust.
I know some will maybe say that it's MY mentality that is responsible for the incomming legislation.  Ultimately, even if we were just  riding 5hp silent electrocycles there would still be  those that would see us legisltated  off the road.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2012, 11:28:30 am »
MEPs support new anti-tampering measures designed to make it impossible to increase the speed of the vehicles by tampering with their powertrain, while ensuring that these measures will not prevent bikers from modifying their vehicles in other ways.
So it doesn't apply to a bit of bling, would only apply to a change of can if it could be proven to have increased the speed and how would the average copper, or MoT tester even, know that you'd changed the sprockets and fitted a set of K&N filters?  It has originated in Holland where mopeds (which can be ridden by anyone over the age of 14) are everywhere and the riders will do anything they can to make them faster than they were designed to be.  It doesn't look to be anything to worry about to me.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2012, 10:51:58 pm »
Think one of the ideas is for any new bikes after a certain date to be fitted with ECUs that will show up any tampering with power etc and invalidate the warranty. Also as far as I'm aware, there was talk of the anti-tamper laws extending as far as not being allowed to change to a different make of tyre or brake pads etc.  The powers that be think we are an easy target because we are a minority, tho they also seem to think we are all violent anti-social neanderthals aswell. And the comment about loud pipes being anti-social is just bollocks, loud pipes save lives, simple as that and I for one will carry on riding my bike with a loud pipe because it has saved my life on more than one occasion! If anything is anti social, its the folk out mowing the lawn on a Sunday morning!