Date: 18-04-24  Time: 10:59 am

Author Topic: 24k mile service  (Read 3307 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
24k mile service
« on: 22 April 2012, 05:32:27 pm »
hi , my fzs 1000 fazer is due its 24k mile service in  june which includes valve check , which i don,t feel competent to do myself , the valve check  that is .  I got a quote for £ 505 from fowlers in bristol , does this price seem about right ,  seems a bit pricey to me , i just wanted to get other foccers opinions , before i got on the phone , cheers

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 24k mile service
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2012, 05:49:30 pm »
'ow much??????

why not do the rest yerself, at least, and have them just check the valves? tbh checking isn't hard to do.

or you could ignore the valve check which is likely what they'd do anyway.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2012, 05:54:07 pm »
As above I would do what you can yourself & shop around for price on the valve clearance check. From what I can gather they are rarely out of spec after 24K so wouldn't worry too much about it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2012, 06:49:42 pm »
hi , my fzs 1000 fazer is due its 24k mile service in  june which includes valve check , which i don,t feel competent to do myself , the valve check  that is .  I got a quote for £ 505 from fowlers in bristol , does this price seem about right ,  seems a bit pricey to me

That sounds right for the 24k service as that's the major one.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2012, 07:47:07 pm »
Yeah mines done over 26000 now.

500 quid for a service?   Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  I don't think so.

Reminds me though I need to get mine checked.  Supposed to be a Yamaha mechanic, with a good reputation,  doing homers round my way somewhere.  That'll do me.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2012, 10:03:33 pm »
I was reluctant to do the valve check myself but it's actually not that difficult if you know one end of a spanner from the other, I don't think I'd want to tackle re-shimming if the clearances were out but the chances of that are very slim at 24k. If you decide to give it a go, don't do what the Haynes manual tells you and remove the carbs as it's not required. If you're so inclined you'll have the opportunity to clean / repaint / service bits of the bike that are otherwise difficult to get to and you could also consider removing the AIS - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/airinductionsystemremoval.html if you still have it fitted.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2012, 06:52:14 am »
well consider that most fazer owners who have had this service done actually didnt need any adjustment doing ! I myself have had two gen1s both serviced at 24k by alf england in bedworth...both were checked, both didnt need any adjustment . I was only charged for the check, nothing for adjustment.I think you need to find a honest garage ( if thats possible ! ) which will charge appropriately.hence my 24K service cost less than £300.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2012, 11:07:10 am »
There are two separate things here:
1 Checking the valve clearances is fairly easy (hardest part is prob'ly taking the AIS octopus off)
2 Adjusting the valves is much harder

The mechanic quotes seem to reflect that valve adjustment WILL be necessary, and there's a very good chance of that NOT being the case

IMO you (or a friend with mechanical knowledge) should be able to take off the rocker cover & check the clearances with only basic mechanical knowledge, half-decent tools & a service manual.
If any valves DO need adjustment, and you both lack the confidence to adjust, then bolt her back together take to a mechanic

This way you will almost certainly save £505, at least until the 48k service.....

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2012, 06:19:16 pm »
 Thanks to everyone for the advice , and sadlonelygit for the offer , but i will get some quotes for just the valve check , don,t fancy doing this myself as i struggled with replacing the spark plugs and  i don,t want to feck up the engine , at least i can relax about the mileage if they don,t go out of tolerance much