Date: 20-04-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: Riding in France  (Read 2426 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Riding in France
« on: 26 August 2019, 12:15:40 pm »
Hiya peeps, I'm hoping to take my bike to France soon for 5 days of just riding around. What do I need to take and what in your opinions is an essential take. The law seem to change regularly so what do I need to take legally? Hi viz, breathalyser?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Riding in France
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2019, 04:34:36 pm »
Bulb kit, high viz, V5, GB sticker and insurance documents. The breathalyser is apparently mandatory but not enforced. I went recently and didn’t carry one.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2019, 04:35:56 pm »
I’d also take a puncture repair kit but not mandatory.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2019, 04:59:48 pm »
I’d also take a puncture repair kit but not mandatory.

Yes, I have one of these. Thanks

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2019, 08:32:51 pm »
I'm in France now with a bike and do come over here regularly. Whats needed.....

V5 (log book)
Insurance Certificate
Licence
Spare bulbs
Hi-Viz
Lots of cash to pay fines (if you dont pay attention to the speed limits)
GB Sticker (or EU number plate)

Whats not needed....
Breathalyser (Still a legal requirement but fine is €0 for not having one. They dont even sell them in France anymore so ignore what Halfords and the ferry companies tell you)
Reflective helmet stickers (only new helmets bought in France need these)
Anything other then earplugs in your ears (you can get a fine for listening to music etc)
Satnav that shows speed camera locations

What you should use...
Headlight beam benders (I have never used them)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2019, 10:09:09 pm »
Yep, hi-viz - only needs to be carried with you (small fine if not), but must be worn if broken down on side of big motorway (huge fine if not).
Bulbs - not mandatory, but you can be stopped from progressing further if you've a blown bulb.

Just did a quick stint in Belgium and France around Ardennes, things I found useful:

Starling debit card - download app and get signed up. It's a card you pre-load (no credit check unless you want their overdraft facility). Best exchange rates and zero fees. Can be used to pull euro cash out at ATM's too. Only toll booths didn't like it (no idea why!). For pay at pump fuel, make sure you've enough loaded for the €120 pre-auth otherwise you'll be declined. Otherwise, dead handy.

You're not allowed to have speed cam locations on your SatNav, however my Garmin did flag up 'dangerous roads' - stretches where cameras are known to be located. Note also, most cams over there are quite discreet, small plain grey boxes hidden on road side etc.

Finally, on your way home give yourself plenty of time to get through our shitty UK border control in Calais. Also, try to avoid coming home on a weekend when the M20 is shut...

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2019, 10:55:50 am »

First aid kit.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2019, 11:40:30 am »
I will be going to France on the 1st Sept. for a week on the 600

My  list is:
Bike Registration Documents,Bike Insurance Cert,3 spare bulbs  (H4, Stop/tail and indicator)2 Hi Viz Jackets (will have a pillion),Licence,Passport,Travel Insurance Cert,European Health insurance card,Puncture repair outfit,Credit Card,Debit Card,Can of puncture sealant cable tied under the Carrier ( Covered with Black duct tape To make it almost invisible)
« Last Edit: 27 August 2019, 04:01:52 pm by unfazed »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2019, 02:51:31 pm »
Now this might seem like a stupid question but how much of my insurance documents do i need to take. It's a PDF file and there are 16 pages?

Mickey

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2019, 04:04:03 pm »
I just carry the insurance cert in my pocket and keep the policy document on my phone, all my other documents are backed up to my phone, even a scanned copy of my passport

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2019, 08:17:03 pm »
Certainly having a note of my passport number came in handy when I lost mine in France last year. Also the hi viz should be easily accessible eg in a tankbag.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2019, 08:31:30 pm »
If you've got a tank bag, put your hi viz in it. If you break down I've heard you need to be able to put it on before you get off the bike and step on the road.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2019, 12:04:51 am »
Echo most of what's been said. Been back about a fortnight from a trip round France and Belgium WW1 battlefields on my 03 FZS600. Bought a small Givi magnetic tank bag, pocket on top for phone to nav with when needed, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Givi-EA106B-Easy-Magnet-Tank-Bag/dp/B01AUMVME0 got one for 30 quid from ghost bikes, brilliant bit of kit. Kept essentials in it; documents, wallet, cash/cards, hi viz, power bank, disc lock and crack pipe e-cig. Toll booths can be a bit fiddly with gloves on and you need to make sure you choose the right lane to accept whatever you want to pay with. Lanes with an orange t only and/or a 30kph speed only displayed are for automatic tags, don't go in those or you'll be in a world of shit if it's busy. Lanes that accept cash/card are usually marked on the overhead signs with images of cash/card or CB (bank card).

You need to plan ahead if you want to use cash to pay for fuel, automatic fuel stations pre authorise and ring fence your card for about €90 each time you fill up which can be a problem if you use a pre paid travel card as it can take a couple of days for the funds to reappear; in France manned fuel stations hours are roughly 8-12 and 1-4, outside this and it's always card only, some smaller supermarket fuel stations have no option to pay with cash. Fuel is a bit dearer over there and motorway fuel is seriously expensive so swerve that if you can. French fuel price check website https://www.prix.carburants.gouv.fr

If you're on an older bike make sure you fill up with juice that's labelled E5 or better still E0, I never found any E0 abroad, difficult to get in GB, think it's only Esso premium unleaded that's E0. Swerve E10 if you can and DO NOT put E85 in, it's cheaper but contains 85% ethanol and will rot your fuel system. E5 is the same ethanol content (5%) as bog standard UK unleaded, E10 seems to be the standard unleaded SP95 in France with a few exceptions, SP98 is premium fuel and mostly E5 ethanol content but it's more expensive than boggo unleaded. Check what your bike will run on and check at the pump when you juice up. Carburant is French for fuel, essence is petrol, SP = unleaded, 95 or 98 the octane rating and E = ethanol content. Gazole is diesel so deffo don't use that...
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2019, 07:21:59 pm »
Echo most of what's been said. Been back about a fortnight from a trip round France and Belgium WW1 battlefields on my 03 FZS600. Bought a small Givi magnetic tank bag, pocket on top for phone to nav with when needed, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Givi-EA106B-Easy-Magnet-Tank-Bag/dp/B01AUMVME0 got one for 30 quid from ghost bikes, brilliant bit of kit. Kept essentials in it; documents, wallet, cash/cards, hi viz, power bank, disc lock and crack pipe e-cig. Toll booths can be a bit fiddly with gloves on and you need to make sure you choose the right lane to accept whatever you want to pay with. Lanes with an orange t only and/or a 30kph speed only displayed are for automatic tags, don't go in those or you'll be in a world of shit if it's busy. Lanes that accept cash/card are usually marked on the overhead signs with images of cash/card or CB (bank card).

You need to plan ahead if you want to use cash to pay for fuel, automatic fuel stations pre authorise and ring fence your card for about €90 each time you fill up which can be a problem if you use a pre paid travel card as it can take a couple of days for the funds to reappear; in France manned fuel stations hours are roughly 8-12 and 1-4, outside this and it's always card only, some smaller supermarket fuel stations have no option to pay with cash. Fuel is a bit dearer over there and motorway fuel is seriously expensive so swerve that if you can. French fuel price check website https://www.prix.carburants.gouv.fr

If you're on an older bike make sure you fill up with juice that's labelled E5 or better still E0, I never found any E0 abroad, difficult to get in GB, think it's only Esso premium unleaded that's E0. Swerve E10 if you can and DO NOT put E85 in, it's cheaper but contains 85% ethanol and will rot your fuel system. E5 is the same ethanol content (5%) as bog standard UK unleaded, E10 seems to be the standard unleaded SP95 in France with a few exceptions, SP98 is premium fuel and mostly E5 ethanol content but it's more expensive than boggo unleaded. Check what your bike will run on and check at the pump when you juice up. Carburant is French for fuel, essence is petrol, SP = unleaded, 95 or 98 the octane rating and E = ethanol content. Gazole is diesel so deffo don't use that...

E0 is still widely available in the uk, most (but not all) Super Unleaded 97 in the UK is Ethanol free. As yet, there is no requirement in law for Ethanol to be present in that grade, and I hope it stays that way.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2019, 10:24:43 pm »

E0 is still widely available in the uk, most (but not all) Super Unleaded 97 in the UK is Ethanol free. As yet, there is no requirement in law for Ethanol to be present in that grade, and I hope it stays that way.

Does that include BP and Shell 97 octane?.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2019, 02:06:18 pm »

Does that include BP and Shell 97 octane?.

Since I last looked into this matter perhaps 3 to 4 years ago, the position may have changed. Texaco Super didnt contain E but now does at 5%. BP Ultimate is still E free, apart from south west England, Cornwall, tee-side and scotland. The best advice that I can give is to check the pump before you fill up, as by law, all pumps must now show a label/sticker indicating the E content, example E0, E5, E10. Worth remembering that engines designed/built before 2011 are not designed for use with E10. Me, Ill continue to seek out and use E0 petrol as I like warm weather

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2019, 09:12:23 pm »

Thanks for info. Yep I too will continue to seek out E0 for my bikes.

Apparently you get less mpg from ethanol blended fuel, so although E0 is a bit dearer per litre you gain some back in increased range and the reassurance that it's compatible with the fuel system.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2019, 01:41:10 pm »

BP Ultimate is still E free, apart from south west England, Cornwall, tee-side and scotland.

....and in the east of England. I've just filled the car up with standard 95 octane and checked the Ultimate 97 pump whilst I was there. It's clearly labelled E5 also :rolleyes .
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 09:32:32 pm by YamFazFan »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2019, 03:01:29 pm »

BP Ultimate is still E free, apart from south west England, Cornwall, tee-side and scotland.

....and Cambridge in the east of England. I've just filled the car up with standard 95 octane and checked the Ultimate 97 pump whilst I was there. It's clearly labelled E5 also :rolleyes .

The subject gets murkier the more I try to look into it. Recent legislation resulted in forecourts having to label all pumps with the maximum amount of ethanol that each pump can dispense. There may actually be no ethanol in that pump. Also, the fuel suppliers are reluctant to disclose the ethanol content. Some individuals and bike clubs have conducted their own tests and found ethanol in it and some have found none.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2019, 08:34:19 pm »

Also, the fuel suppliers are reluctant to disclose the ethanol content.

That's odd. What reason could they have for being so coy about disclosing that I wonder :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 October 2019, 11:03:59 am »
Just fuelled the Fazer at an Esso station with Supreme Plus Unleaded 97 octane (normally use BP or sometimes Shell). The pump sticker has E5 on it, but online it says it's ethanol free in my area of the country.