Date: 23-04-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: bike fails under load  (Read 1046 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
bike fails under load
« on: 18 August 2019, 07:18:15 pm »
Well this is a new one on me, the bikes been running crap recently, cut a long story short I've not had the time or the inclination to keep on top of the maintenance for a while now.
Anyway, she (the bike) starts ok but as soon as I've put her in gear and tried to move off the revs die off and the engine cuts out.

When she's running she sounds like a sewing machine, camchain rattling like a good 'un but that's another story.

The bike used to take a bit of choke to start, now it's the opposite- the choke needs to be off and the revs at zero before the engine kicks into life. Another thing, once the bikes idling at stationary, if I rev the bike hard the engine cuts out. Any Ideas on where to look, as I've said if anyone can save me a bit of time with this one it's much appreciated  :) [size=78%] [/size]
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: bike fails under load
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2019, 07:55:22 pm »
When was the last time you changed the plugs, it's the first place i would start?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2019, 09:17:06 pm »
Is it running on three cylinders?  If you're not sure you could do the water on the headers trick to find out. Start it, let it warm up, throw some water on the headers and see if one of them dries a lot slower than the others. If one dries slower, that cylinder isn't running properly. Then you have to determine if it's a spark or fuel problem on that cylinder. Take the plug out and check for spark. If you've got good spark it's probably a problem in the carb. If it's been parked up on the side stand in the rain there's a good chance the problem is on cylinder 3. Rain water collects around the spark plug on cylinder 3 and causes problems. Another thing. Start it when it's dark and look for arcing around the plug caps. You'll see small blue arcs between the plug caps and the head
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 11:17:33 pm by His Dudeness »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2019, 07:01:25 pm »
Cheers Gents, if my memory serves me right I replaced a single plug a while back as it was firing only on 3, lets' hope I really don't want to take the carbs out again if I can avoid it. I'll have a fettle when I get some time  and let you know the outcome!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2019, 08:34:15 am »
i would be looking at the air filter first and giving a quick blast with the vacuum if you havent got access to compressed air
its the not needing the choke that makes me think that as it increases negative pressure in the venturi and pulls in more fuel

hopefully the cam chain rattle is just cause by the tightener to be just before its next click