Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:07 am

Author Topic: rubber ?  (Read 982 times)

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
rubber ?
« on: 16 August 2019, 12:43:20 am »
Hi gents sorry to be a boring T**t i`ve recently purchased a gen 1   1000 after  9 years on a boxer 600 which i have loved and modified to suite me !
i just needed that little more comfortable power for two up long rides and some touring i must say i am well impressed with the old girl 35k and a storming bit of kit
Now she needs some rubber  it  had a set of maxxis supermax on when i bought it and a trip to the scottish highlands has absolutely destroyed them
so i`m looking for  sensible advice
i`m no GP rider but i like to crack on abit and i`m not scared of corners  i hear all the rants about michellins etc
but i`m on limited funds at the moment
i dont want cheap shite either
i read alot about pirelli diablo`s ???
is that the  standard diablo`s at £120 / £130 a pair
Or are they talking about diablo rosso`s
milage and grip are my concerns

As i said earlier i`ve got a boxer 600 for last 9 years and i run it on dunlop qualifiers  great tyres stick like glue super confident etc etc BUT dont last long  so i`m pretty sure the 100 would eat them in no time ( not Good )

Thanks in advance people
Paul
waters wet, shit stinks !

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: rubber ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 09:55:08 am »
To be honest this topic is just a can of worms.
Everyone has their preference and let's be honest, 98% of tyres on sale from reputable brands will be good enough for 90% of road riders out there.
I've personally had tyre from both ends of the scale and have barely noticed much difference....bit anyway, if your after something cheap and cheerful then M&P have a sale on Maxxis Supermaxx touring tyres at the minute. £109 a pair delivered!! And if you use the code WELCOME10 ya can get 10% off to make then £98.99!!! Insane price really

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/maxxis-supermaxx-touring-tyre-pair-120-70-zr17-190-50-zr17-k-536162-536170

I'd say they were perfect fine tyres but I'm sure others will have their own opinions 👍

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 11:27:35 am »
There's got be be a reason why Maxxis are so cheap. I've seen the clips on youtube of them delaminating, and have been told they are remoulds on old carcasses. They were on my bike when I bought it and had no problem with them, but opted for Metzeler when the time came.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2019, 08:46:40 am by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 05:10:31 pm »
No need for sports tyres, they are a bit cheaper but won't last nearly as long as sports touring tyres. I like Avon Storm 3D's they give a really light neutral ride edge to edge and they last ~10% longer than the equivalent Bridgestones which to me felt they were happier with the bike upright than being thrown around. I haven't tried any other brands on the Gen1 other than those two as I am more than happy with the Avon's which you can probably pick up fairly cheaply compared to the latest rubber. It's probably trial and error until you find something for the price / performance  ratio that suits you best but I'd give the Avons a go if you can find them cheap enough.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 06:53:30 pm »
I have used Avon storms and the 3dxms too. All good, about 5000 miles and they get ragged pretty hard, wet grip is good. Now on Pirelli angel gts, fitted January still got over 3mm on the rear, not one slide or slip.