Date: 20-04-24  Time: 11:52 am

Author Topic: First spin on an FZ1 and TRX850  (Read 1941 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
First spin on an FZ1 and TRX850
« on: 02 August 2019, 08:27:41 pm »
Went to look at an 2011  FZ1 with 21000miles on it  last night with a friend who was interested in buying it. Immaculate except for a small tank dent like a knee dent and a small gouge on on the swinging arm, but nothing major. Didn't realise I knew the owner until we arrived to look at it. There was lot of traffic so the prospective owner just rode it around the car park. Owner offered me a spin on it, at first I declined as I had no gear but he gave me his jacket, helmet and gloves and said go on. Since I ride all the time traffic does not worry me much. I was surprise how quick it was, but a bit snatchy on and off the throttle in the traffic, got through the traffic to a clear bit of road, with a few bends, handled well even though it was a bit hard for my liking, but ruined by one pain in the arse bit, 'the fuel cut off system'. It was like driving a car with turbo lag. I thought this issue was sorted on the later models. If my friend does buy it, the FCE is the first thing I would tell him to fit. It ruined what was otherwise a very nice bike.

The burning question is, Would I change the FZS1000 for one? Absolutely not. The biggest turn off is the small tank compared to the FZS1000.
On the way home my friend gave me the key of his 340hp BMW twin turbo 535d auto estate with paddle shift, what a weapon, every time I powered out of a bend the traction control light kept flashing  :lol tiptronic was surprisingly good very quick to change. Even on sport setting it was not great to hold the road as it rolled a lot, but a rocket in a straight line :D Enjoyed that  :eek

He asked me if he could take my FZS1000 for a spin so he could compare the two when he takes the FZ1 for a spin on Sunday evening. Today we went out swapped bikes (he has an 97 TRX850) he came back with a big grin and his only complaint was it that it was heavy, but then compared to the TRX is weighs a ton. TRX was nice to ride with the riding position very comfortable for a bike with low bars and very very torquey. Took some time to get used to all the torque since I use the gears a lot. That was also a bit hard on the suspension but since he has 4 stone on me it was fine for him. The only issue I found was that the wheel bearing seem to be worn, but we will check them after the weekend.
Nice start to the bank holiday weekend  :D

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: First spin on an FZ1 and TRX850
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2019, 12:13:39 pm »
Nice one Unfazed. If i had that car I'd be replacing the knackered suspension because it should be able to handle anything, and that might help with the traction too. I'd love an afternoon on a TRX, lovely underrated little bikes.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2019, 11:38:10 pm »
Went to look at an 2011  FZ1 with 21000miles on it  last night with a friend who was interested in buying it. Immaculate except for a small tank dent like a knee dent and a small gouge on on the swinging arm, but nothing major. Didn't realise I knew the owner until we arrived to look at it. There was lot of traffic so the prospective owner just rode it around the car park. Owner offered me a spin on it, at first I declined as I had no gear but he gave me his jacket, helmet and gloves and said go on. Since I ride all the time traffic does not worry me much. I was surprise how quick it was, but a bit snatchy on and off the throttle in the traffic, got through the traffic to a clear bit of road, with a few bends, handled well even though it was a bit hard for my liking, but ruined by one pain in the arse bit, 'the fuel cut off system'. It was like driving a car with turbo lag. I thought this issue was sorted on the later models. If my friend does buy it, the FCE is the first thing I would tell him to fit. It ruined what was otherwise a very nice bike.

The burning question is, Would I change the FZS1000 for one? Absolutely not. The biggest turn off is the small tank compared to the FZS1000.
On the way home my friend gave me the key of his 340hp BMW twin turbo 535d auto estate with paddle shift, what a weapon, every time I powered out of a bend the traction control light kept flashing  :lol tiptronic was surprisingly good very quick to change. Even on sport setting it was not great to hold the road as it rolled a lot, but a rocket in a straight line :D Enjoyed that  :eek

He asked me if he could take my FZS1000 for a spin so he could compare the two when he takes the FZ1 for a spin on Sunday evening. Today we went out swapped bikes (he has an 97 TRX850) he came back with a big grin and his only complaint was it that it was heavy, but then compared to the TRX is weighs a ton. TRX was nice to ride with the riding position very comfortable for a bike with low bars and very very torquey. Took some time to get used to all the torque since I use the gears a lot. That was also a bit hard on the suspension but since he has 4 stone on me it was fine for him. The only issue I found was that the wheel bearing seem to be worn, but we will check them after the weekend.
Nice start to the bank holiday weekend  :D

what's the "fuel cut off system"? I've not experienced it on mine.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2019, 07:48:26 pm »
Loved my TRX850: with fork cartridge emulators and an Ohlins YZF750 rear shock fitted it was one of the best handling bikes I've been on.  Comfort fades after 150 miles, tho that's down to me being a crock...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2019, 10:42:34 pm »

When you shut the throttle and after about 10 secs open the ,throttle again  there is a slight delay  before the throttle picks up. The owner of the FZ1 I rode never noticed but coming from a carb bike it was very obvious to me. Many never notice it, but those who do fit a fuel cut eliminator.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2019, 10:43:39 pm »
Loved my TRX850: with fork cartridge emulators and an Ohlins YZF750 rear shock fitted it was one of the best handling bikes I've been on.  Comfort fades after 150 miles, tho that's down to me being a crock...
Will show this to the owner of the TRX I rode

Bubbaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX850
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2019, 05:26:39 pm »
My TRX850 is naked with R1 USD forks, YZF750 rear end, FCR41 carbies, Full Akrapovic 2-1 exhaust, Blue spot calipers front and rear, Big rear sprocket and lots of other goodies. Very light and handles superbly but has taken a few quid to get to this stage and the missus won't get on the back as she had blisters along her knicker line last time out (rear seat is very unforgiving). Currently stripped and waiting for the frame back from being powder coated. Cracking bike but for distance and two up it's the Fazer every time.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2019, 10:35:52 pm »

When you shut the throttle and after about 10 secs open the ,throttle again  there is a slight delay  before the throttle picks up. The owner of the FZ1 I rode never noticed but coming from a carb bike it was very obvious to me. Many never notice it, but those who do fit a fuel cut eliminator.

Can't believe it! I have actually got that happening with mine but just thought that's the way they all were,I'm now going to look into a fuel cut eliminator !
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2019, 12:41:32 pm »
Ivan in the US flashes / updates the bike's ECU which negates the need for the fuel cut eliminator, which used to be sold separately.
Decent performance increase, too...

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/2006fz1.htm