Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:44 am

Author Topic: Carb Woes  (Read 1442 times)

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Carb Woes
« on: 17 July 2019, 03:07:08 pm »
Hi Foccers
I had me carbs out recently to fix a BOGGING DOWN problem... cleaned all and put pilot screws to factory setting.
engine is running OK now but a bit ROUGH..
so decided to balance the carbs....I found 1 and 2 so far out that no matter how much i adjusted 1 was still pulling more than 2...
so where do i start with this DILEMMA... :o :rollin :\

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Woes
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
Here's a guess. Was the bank of carbs ever split? There's springs and linkages that join each carb to the one beside it. If the carbs were split and a spring was left out or the linkages weren't put together correctly the adjusting screw that you're turning might not reach. If I was you I'd identify which cylinder is having the problem and then try and get a look in at the linkage between that carb and the one beside it. Does it look correct? Is there a spring missing? Are the linkages lined up properly? See the little springs in the picture. There's one above and one below

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 08:22:14 pm »
Hi Foccers
I had me carbs out recently to fix a BOGGING DOWN problem... cleaned all and put pilot screws to factory setting.
engine is running OK now but a bit ROUGH..
so decided to balance the carbs....I found 1 and 2 so far out that no matter how much i adjusted 1 was still pulling more than 2...
so where do i start with this DILEMMA... :o :rollin :\
What were you using to balance them with?

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2019, 08:20:22 pm »
Yes I have had the carbs out and split...I think they went back with the linkages correct...but the only way to really tell is to take the carbs out again :'(

I used a home made MANOMETER with two bottles half full of pink parrafin...crude but it does work

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2019, 08:47:05 pm »
Use the old drill bit method to synchronise them off the bike.That will tell you quick enough if something is wrong before fitting them and then finding out.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2019, 11:26:43 pm »
ER....WOT IS the old drill bit method....?! :book

I,m ready to remove the carbs (yet again)...I suppose u can see well enuf if all the butterfly valves are the same...?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2019, 07:27:17 am »
Try searching, Using a drill bit to sync carbs, there is a u tube vid from 5 mins in that explains Unfazed's reply.  Smile
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 07:35:01 am by bandit »

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2019, 02:49:05 pm »
OK THANKS....
removed carbs (AGAIN)...everything looks perfectly OK...! ;)
Did the bench balance with drill bit, managed to break off the idle adjustment cable thing. (WOT a poor bit of engineering..!)...but I suppose I can set the idle speed at the handlebar...
backed the idle setting off all the way and gave each of the pilot screws a quarter turn in...hoping for the best :evil

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2019, 02:37:13 pm »
EEEK....!
realised as i was putting carbs back that trying to adjust idle speed from the handlebar was going to leave me with no FREE PLAY...so back off again and improvised an idle speed adjuster.....have to reach in under to get at it but it's OK.
Bike is now running pretty good so that's it.... 8)
NO MORE MESSING :evil

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2019, 07:39:50 pm »
If you put up a video of the engine running we could tell you if it sounds normal

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2019, 10:28:46 pm »
Ho Dude
I recorded a video but it's too big to upload....
discovered why the bike seemed ROUGH and was LABOURING a bit, even after setting up carbs. The rear brake was binding.... :rolleyes
All it needed was a drop of oil on the brake pedal PIVOT and LINKAGE and now the brake is working perfectly...and the bike is running better than ever.... :D :rollin :lol   HAPPY DAYS....!

So.....taking carbs off, giving them a good clean and setting the butterfly valves all the same visually, and putting the pilot screws to factory setting...(two turns out) does a pretty good job for the amateur home mechanic.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2019, 11:45:45 pm »
Nice one ;) A drop of oil or a dab of grease in the right spot can make a huge difference.