Date: 26-04-24  Time: 17:53 pm

Author Topic: Starting Problems  (Read 626 times)

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
Starting Problems
« on: 17 July 2019, 08:25:43 am »
I have an 04 FZ1 with 19k miles, it starts OK 75% of the time, but sometimes it's a bit hesitant.

On a coupe of occasions, it failed to start at all and drained the battery, when I put it on charge, it started first time.

When it's hesitant, it usually takes two or three attempts to start, and I have to let the engine idle for a couple of mins until it settles. Sometimes it just fires up first time and is good to go straight away.

When it's been standing at work on a hot day, it starts, but it take a lot of cranking.

When it's cold, I use about 3/4 choke, when the weather is hot and the bike is cold, I use about 1/4 choke.

Is there a mod that will make starting consistent? 
If it aint broke, make it better

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 10:49:49 am »
No mod required, your problems are curable with a few basic service things, I suggest. :)

Fit new plugs, make sure the battery is sound and all the earth contacts clean and secure.  Unscrew the plug caps from the HT leads and cut 1cm off each lead to get back to a good core.  Refit the caps.

Check that the ignition switch is clean internally.  Shoot it through with electrical cleaner and WD40. 

What you describe on hot days isn't unusual.  If you routinely use the sidestand, try parking on the centrestand to keep the carbs level.  This prevents the possibility of fuel wetting the intake throats over time.