Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:40 pm

Author Topic: Lighting problem / Electrics expert required!  (Read 5929 times)

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Lighting problem / Electrics expert required!
« Reply #25 on: 08 July 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, really helped :D
I can confirm that yes indeed it is starting perfectly every time as normal and running fine.. just with no lights or horn!

Turned the ignition on today and tested both sides of all the fuses in the fuse box and all had power. On the wiring diagram there is a back up fuse (somewhere!) and a main fuse, I think these are the only 2 I have not checked, not sure they would effect anything.

None of the wiring or connectors checked so far have been furry or corroded. When I bought the bike in Spetember it only had 20,000 miles on it. I have added about another 10,000 miles since then but it is looked after and covered at night etc.

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 July 2019, 09:11:34 pm »
The backup fuse is in the main fuse box on a 2003, and the main fuse is in the top of the starter relay next to the battery. Do you have 12v on the blue/black wire going to the 4 pin relay when the light switch is in the on position? and do you have 12v on the yellow wire going to the 5 pin relay when the high beam switch is on?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 July 2019, 09:21:20 pm »
You may have already done so, have you checked the battery terminals are tight/clean & earth to frame. 

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2019, 04:32:02 pm »
Ok,
So the bike has been into the workshop at work today to try and work out the problem. They have checked and discounted most of the obvious stuff but then ran out of time.
One theory is it could be the ignition that is causing the problem. They have not been able to fully check it out yet. Are all the blue wires meant to have 12v with the ignition on? Anyone know where there is a colour wiring diagram?
And should the worst come to the worst, anyone know of a used Foxeye lock set for sale? I know they are like hens teeth as they have more connectors than the boxeye ignition.
Thanks again folks.

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2019, 05:42:33 pm »
Did you check for 12v on the two wires in my post above? Colour wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 July 2019, 07:21:09 pm »
A bit risky. You could blow something up if you do it wrong so do it at your own risk but you could bypass the ignition and if the lights work when the ignition is bypassed you know the problem is in the ignition. There's two connectors going to the ignition, a two pin connector and a six pin connector. If you follow the wire off the back of the ignition you will find the two connectors. They're in the junction box under the tank. You'll have to take the front bolt out of the tank and tilt it up out of the way.

The two pin connector will have a red wire and a brown/blue wire.
The six pin will have a black, blue/red, brown/red, blue/yellow, blue
Disconnect both connectors.
On the loom side of the two pin connector join red to brown/blue.
The headlight, brake light, horn should now work. If they do work you know the fault must be in the ignition. If they still don't work the fault is after the ignition.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 July 2019, 07:41:29 pm »
Thanks for that, I will give that a go at work tomorrow. Whats the worst that can happen! :rolleyes

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 July 2019, 07:42:37 pm »
Did you check for 12v on the two wires in my post above? Colour wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.
They did check the relays in the workshop today, I am assuming the outcome wasn't bad as they did not say there was an issue.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 July 2019, 07:57:31 pm »
Thanks for that, I will give that a go at work tomorrow. Whats the worst that can happen! :rolleyes
You could short something and blow it up or start an electrical fire and burn the bike and your work down :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 July 2019, 08:06:30 pm »
Just as a precaution before you jump the red to brown/blue take out the ignition fuse so that power doesn't go to the ignitor. That way all you're powering when you jump it is the lights, horn etc.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 July 2019, 08:24:17 pm »
Well I looped the wire, neutral light came on..still no horn or lights. :( Does the 6 pin block not give power to any circuits? Does looping the 2 pin connector give power to all circuits?

Edit : I didnt disconnect the 6 pin connector... doh back I go
« Last Edit: 09 July 2019, 08:37:41 pm by StuartGSXR »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 July 2019, 08:32:21 pm »
Did not get time to come back on this as I was doing the 48000 mile service on my sons Fazer.
Since the earth on the relay did not work and reading through what you seem to have done quickest and easiest way to check the section on the ignition switch is in the box under the tank.
As Dude says locate the connectors to the ignition, but without disconnecting anything the take the 6 way connector with the five wires and loop the blue/red and the blue with a piece of stiff wire (not too thick) in the back of the back of the connector. Turn on the ignition, turn on the lights. If this section of the ignition is faulty this will bring on the lights, if not the fault is elsewhere

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 July 2019, 08:50:59 pm »
Colour wiring diagram

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 July 2019, 08:59:39 pm »
Ok, tried unplugging both connectors and looping the 2 pin on the loom side. Neutral light came on but no horn or headlights.Tried to loop the 2 wires on the 6 / 5 pin plug but not sure my wire was thin enough to connect ok but no apparent change either.
Any electrics wizards near Brighton?! lol. I dont get it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 July 2019, 11:47:11 pm »
Do you have a meter? If so check for 12v on the following on same 6 way 5 pin plug.Switch Ignition on and check for 12v on the Brown/red and the brown/blue by putting the probe into the back of the connector

If you get 12v on both of those then put the probe on the blue and turn the light switch on right handlebar to park that should supply 12v to the blue wire, now check the Blue/red also as it gets its 12v from the Blue/red via the ignition switch

If you get  12v on the Brown/red and Brown/Blue but not on the Blue or Blue/red the problem is in the light switch.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 July 2019, 10:00:53 am »
Ok, I will get my multimeter out at lunchtime.

On testing the brown/red and brown/blue wires, is that with the light switch in the dipped beam position?
And on the blue wire and blue/red is that with the light switch in the on or off position?
Thank you so much for your continued help, I would be lost without it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: 10 July 2019, 10:51:14 am »
Looking at the wiring diagram posted by Unfazed, the brown wire from the RHS switch assembly appears to be common with all of the items you have said are failing.
I would definitely be checking that all the way back to the connector block.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 July 2019, 03:36:41 pm »
Do you have a meter? If so check for 12v on the following on same 6 way 5 pin plug.Switch Ignition on and check for 12v on the Brown/red and the brown/blue by putting the probe into the back of the connector

If you get 12v on both of those then put the probe on the blue and turn the light switch on right handlebar to park that should supply 12v to the blue wire, now check the Blue/red also as it gets its 12v from the Blue/red via the ignition switch

If you get  12v on the Brown/red and Brown/Blue but not on the Blue or Blue/red the problem is in the light switch.

Right..
So with the ignition on the Brown/Red on the 5 pin switch has power, as does the Brown/Blue wire (which is on the 2 pin block??)
The Blue wire (which has small green spots on as well) does not have power with the ignition switch or the light switch in any position.
Blue/Red gets 12v in park position (but no other)So yes get 12v from Brown/Red and Brown/Blue (with the ignition on) , nothing from the Blue in any position and only with the key in park from Blue/Red.
So does that mean there is a fault in the light switch? Can someone confirm that the blue has green spots on? There is no plain blue but all the others have stripes on them. Also the Brown/Blue being on the 2 pin rather than the 5 pin?
I think we are making progress :) Thanks all   
« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 03:43:21 pm by StuartGSXR »

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 July 2019, 03:39:09 pm »
Looking at the wiring diagram posted by Unfazed, the brown wire from the RHS switch assembly appears to be common with all of the items you have said are failing.
I would definitely be checking that all the way back to the connector block.
It is definitely looking that way. Fingers crossed for progress!

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 July 2019, 05:22:43 pm »

Right..
So with the ignition on the Brown/Red on the 5 pin switch has power, as does the Brown/Blue wire (which is on the 2 pin block??)
The Blue wire (which has small green spots on as well) does not have power with the ignition switch or the light switch in any position.
Blue/Red gets 12v in park position (but no other)So yes get 12v from Brown/Red and Brown/Blue (with the ignition on) , nothing from the Blue in any position and only with the key in park from Blue/Red.
So does that mean there is a fault in the light switch? Can someone confirm that the blue has green spots on? There is no plain blue but all the others have stripes on them. Also the Brown/Blue being on the 2 pin rather than the 5 pin?

« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 06:20:58 pm by bandit »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 July 2019, 06:21:49 pm »

Right..

I would say that the switch is your problem try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in there first if that cures it strip the switch down to clean properly,as it is intermittent may just be dirty contacts.

I would say that the switch is your problem try spraying some contact cleaner in there first if that cures it strip the switch down to clean properly, as it is intermittent may just be dirty contacts.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 06:28:15 pm by bandit »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 July 2019, 06:40:08 pm »

Deliberate anomaly to make sure you were awake  :lol and not colour blind  :lol ..
To answer the question: Yes all the single colour wire appear to have those greenish  spots.

« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 06:47:01 pm by unfazed »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 July 2019, 10:12:01 pm »
To prove without doubt, apply 12 volts to the back of the blue wire connector with the ignition on. If everything works now take of the light switch and clean it. A touch of "Déjà Vu" here.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 July 2019, 10:24:03 pm »
To prove without doubt, apply 12 volts to the back of the blue wire connector with the ignition on. If everything works now take of the light switch and clean it. A touch of "Déjà Vu" here.
:lol I had seen a few of your posts from following links after using google with the symptoms, quickly worked out you knew your stuff. I will give it a go tomorrow and report back :)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 July 2019, 10:44:29 pm »

Aye, pack that in! a lot  on here have trouble speaking the Queens English let alone that fancy french stuff.  Cheesy

Sorry couldn't help myself,

Del: One of my most favouritist meals is Duck à l’Orange, but I don’t know how to say that in French.
Rodney: It’s canard.
Del: You can say that again bruv!.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 10:54:32 pm by bandit »