Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:28 am

Author Topic: Pipercross filters  (Read 2787 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Pipercross filters
« on: 06 July 2019, 08:24:53 pm »
 Anybody had any issues with pipercross filters?
I bought mine a few years ago.  Don’t do many miles.  I figured it had been in there for a few years now and it was about time I dug it out and cleaned it.
As you can see the paint has been flaking off. (photos to follow)  This is it after I’ve set about it with the kitchen vegetable brush.  I’ve cleaned and washed it as per pipercross instructions using their cleaning kit and it’s in my conservatory drying overnight.
But this paint is on the clean side, some of it must have already passed through the carbs.
So dunno what to do.
1.        1.   Stick it in and stop worrying – the bike has already consumed a good bit of the paint.
2.       2.   Throw it in the bin and get a paper one – sod fancy filters.
3.       3.   Contact pipercross and see what they have to say.

Anybody else had this issue?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Pipercross filters
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2019, 08:26:09 pm »
« Last Edit: 06 July 2019, 08:27:06 pm by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2019, 08:28:07 pm »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2019, 08:34:45 pm »
I've ha d pipercrossoil on mine for 3 years now and it's been fine. Mines the flat one though. The o ly slight problem I'm starting to have is the foam is starting to come away in the corner so I'll have to order a new one for the next service. All in all for £50 I think they're great for the sheer amount of use you get out of them.

I personally would just replace it and I doubt pipercross will care after more than a year.
As for leaving it in, put it back for a week or two then remove it and take more photos, compare with those you've posted and see of much paint is still coming off 🤔

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2019, 12:43:50 am »
What's a "fancy filter"? Get a K&N, they're way less trouble than you'd think.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2019, 11:13:22 am »
It's 75 quid for a K&N filter. :eek
17 quid for a paper job.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2019, 11:50:33 am »
35 quid for a Pipercross.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2019, 12:29:20 pm »

35 quid for a Pipercross.
That's a pipercross pictured.  Paper seems better value.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2019, 12:46:47 pm »
 Anyway, I’ve picked off some bits of paint and placed them in a small jar of petrol.

If the paint is solvent based (unlikely these days I would have thought) then the paint should break down.  In which case presumably the paint coming off won’t do any real harm to the carbs and maybe it was VNA that caused the issue fitting the filter by maybe spilling a little petrol on the filter. 

If the paint doesn’t break down in the petrol then I’ll order a paper HiFlow filter tonight.  Want my bike running again.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2019, 04:55:29 pm »
I've used Hiflo filters for years my last 3 bikes were fitted with K&Ns changed to Hiflo bikes ran much better, but I do change them every year with the spring service. I don't use Hiflo oil filters though heard a few bad stories about them. true or not for a couple of extra quid stick to ome ones. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2019, 06:01:25 pm »
Well the paint does not break down in petrol.So that filter is not going back in the bike - it's going in the bin.Want my bike back on the road, so ordered a paper Hiflo - in stock from wemoto - so fingers crossed I have it in a couple of days.
Been using HiFlo oil filters for years.  They seem good quality and I've had no issues.  One wonders if HiFlow is the OE manufactuerer in any case.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
Buy a K&N, better long term value

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2019, 08:44:59 pm »
Last time i bought a HiFlo the bike ran shite for 3 days, which then pointed me in the direction of the K&N. Huge difference once it was changed again.

Never realised the 1000 air filter is double the price of the 600, but it would be the last one you'd buy.

I clean mine once a year in summer time using wachine machine detergent in a bucket of warm water so it can then dry naturally but quickly in the sunshine.
I do use the K&N spray oil afterwards but even that bottle has lasted a few years and i still have enough to use for this year too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2019, 09:10:19 pm »

Last time i bought a HiFlo the bike ran shite for 3 days, which then pointed me in the direction of the K&N. Huge difference once it was changed again.

Now you tell me. :lol   That does seem odd.  Anyway HiFlow paper filter already ordered. 
but it would be the last one you'd buy.
That was supposed to be the idea of the pipercross. :lol   Popped it out for the first time and it looks like mince. :eek

I did have a k&n in one of my cars years ago.  It was top notch.  But £75 to £100 quid for all the miles I do on the thou (it’s just not gonna do many miles if I get another bike).  Should have bought K&N when I bought the Pipercross but not worth it now. :\

Oh yeah had fun with the pipercross cleaning kit too.  Opened the pack – now it had been sitting in my garage for a few years – the cleaner aerosol didn’t wanna work first press.  Fiddled about, pressed it a few more times, then it blew off spraying fluid in my face.  It wouldn’t stop so I pointed it at the dirty side of the filter and soked that before running out of the garage, throwing the darn thing down the driveway and running in the house to thoroughly wash my face.
You know sometimes there’s advantages to being old and having to wear glasses. :)   

Anyway fingers crossed my Hiflow is a good un.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2019, 09:28:40 pm »
Well the paint does not break down in petrol.So that filter is not going back in the bike - it's going in the bin.Want my bike back on the road, so ordered a paper Hiflo - in stock from wemoto - so fingers crossed I have it in a couple of days.
Been using HiFlo oil filters for years.  They seem good quality and I've had no issues.  One wonders if HiFlow is the OE manufactuerer in any case.

Glad the filter is being binned - not worth the risk  :thumbup

For what it's worth I've used Hiflo in all my bikes and cars for years 'n' with no issues. No plans to change.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2019, 10:01:58 pm »

I'd bet that the patch with the paint stripped off was facing the carbs when you took the filter out?. It's going to be inclined to draw the air through from the closest point isn't it and maybe that's what has over time pulled the paint off. It'd just go through the engine and out down the exhaust without any real issues wouldn't it?.

Can't see why they feel the need to paint the mesh in the first place.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2019, 07:02:45 pm »

For what it's worth I've used Hiflo in all my bikes and cars for years 'n' with no issues. No plans to change.

Sounds good Frosties. 8)

I'd bet that the patch with the paint stripped off was facing the carbs when you took the filter out?. It's going to be inclined to draw the air through from the closest point isn't it and maybe that's what has over time pulled the paint off. It'd just go through the engine and out down the exhaust without any real issues wouldn't it?.
It’s off front and back and a little at the sides.  Probably coming on 40% of the paint is missing – though that is after I attacked it with the veggie brush.
It’s gotta go through my lovely Ivanised carbs before it can be processed by the engine.  The paint shows no sign of breaking up in petrol.  So I’m just thinking it could potentially maybe block a jet at some point – I think I’ve been lucky.
No I’m not sure why it’s painted, if they used stainless or some other suitable alternative there would be no need for paint.
Hopefully my paper one might arrive tomorrow.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2019, 10:29:50 pm »
There's not any sign of corrosion on the exposed mesh which would suggest it's something non-ferrous or plated wouldn't it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2019, 08:47:07 pm »
There's not any sign of corrosion on the exposed mesh which would suggest it's something non-ferrous or plated wouldn't it.
Yes indeed.  Not plated.  Feels soft, would think aluminium.  Can't find a magnet lying around.  But if it is aluminium I'd have thought anodising would be the thing, not painting.
Anyway pinged an e-mail to pipercross with the two snaps.  See what they say.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2019, 09:39:07 pm »
 Me filter was delivered to the local post office yesterday.  So picked it this morning on the way to work.  Popped it out it’s box this evening.  Seems to be pretty good quality.  However, then I noticed the blob of glue on the mesh (see photo).  Seemed pretty solid and unlikely to budge – but if it did….  Darn it.  I could reject it and wait for another, but VNA decided tae set aboot it wi a magnifying glass and a Stanley knife.  Pretty sure I’ve got it all off.
Bike back on the road.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2019, 09:52:39 pm »
Looking good fella. Post up if you can honestly tell the difference in rideability/performance with a "cheap" filter fitted.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2019, 06:03:13 pm »
Can't say I can Frosties.The paper one should be better cos the pipercross wis filthy :lol I bought the pipercross cos fae the cost o 2 paper disposable filters you get a washable one without splashing out a small fortune for a K&N.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2019, 07:34:25 pm »
K&N for me. They last the life of the bike and they're good quality. If you plan on keeping the bike long term they make sense

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2019, 12:46:38 am »
 :agree

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 July 2019, 06:41:35 pm »
I've just bought a D.N.A race filter for mine. Based on online reviews and test videos I've watched they seem to let around 30% more air through than the stock filter and 10-15% more than a K&N all while filtering out more of the smaller dirt particles 🤔
It has arrived today and is about twice as thick as the pipercross 😱😱
Will be fitting it at the weekend. I would say I'll report back but I doubt it will make much noticable difference really haha