Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:44 pm

Author Topic: Anyone bought an MT10 or MT10SP?  (Read 4335 times)

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone bought an MT10 or MT10SP?
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2019, 09:48:08 am »
The MT10 and the SP are an awesome bike in its class... when you look at the competition, most of them are using very old engines / tech ( GSXS1000 is a 2005 GSXR1000 engine thats been detuned). The Sp is a tricky one, when you add up the individual cost of the Ohlins electronic forks, Ohlins shock, colour display etc it stacks up.. but.. you would only need the Ohlins if you were using it on track a lot and if you were using a bike on track a lot it would not be an MT10 the SP is kind of the answer to a question nobody asked..
I work at a mutli brand dealership in Sussex (including Yamaha) we do not charge for a demo ride or swipe a credit card, there is a maximum excess of £750 if you bin it and all it will cost you is your petrol!

that said, it is brilliant on track, I had to go to Silverstone for "work" the other week and have several half hour sessions on track on the R1M, R1, MT10SP and even a Tracer 900 and the MT10SP was much fun!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2019, 02:09:33 pm »

I work at a mutli brand dealership in Sussex (including Yamaha) we do not charge for a demo ride or swipe a credit card, there is a maximum excess of £750 if you bin it and all it will cost you is your petrol!
So if I bin it I have to pay your £750 excess --- if so  why ? or if I damage it in anyway I have to pay for the repairs ? up to £750. And why do I have to put in my own petrol.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 July 2019, 06:32:53 pm »

So if I bin it I have to pay your £750 excess --- if so  why ?
Cos you will have signed a bit of paper saying you will.
I don’t see what is unreasonable about that.  And if you don’t like the excess, and I didn’t like Glasgow Triumph’s excess, you can decline.  It’s up to you.
And why do I have to put in my own petrol.
MCS Kilmarnock gave me the MT10 with half a tank of fuel.  I got back an hour later running on vapours.  I did ask if they wanted me to pay for the fuel I had used.

Victor Devine Honda had run out of fuel.  A member of staff was for giving me cash to put fuel in it, but I was happy to stick a tenner in. 

Only Douglas Park BMW expected me to put fuel in, though they apologised for the lack of fuel that the bike went out with (about 5 miles from the dealership it was on reserve) I stuck 15 quid in.  I had the bike for 2 hours and to my surprise it still had plenty when I got back.  The boxer sips the stuff.

But naw, if dealers are giving you a bike for an hour or two, I don’t expect them to provide me with fuel. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 July 2019, 06:43:26 pm »
how come when i test drive a car i don't have to pay anything and they also put the fuel in.

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 July 2019, 07:34:06 pm »

So if I bin it I have to pay your £750 excess --- if so  why ? or if I damage it in anyway I have to pay for the repairs ? up to £750. And why do I have to put in my own petrol.
Correct, just like if you crash your own bike and there is an isurance claim you have to pay the first £xxx excess. If it is £100 damage you pay £100, if its £5000 you pay the £750. No different at all.
You have to put petrol in because running demo bikes costs dealers lots of money as it is. We get very little funding from manufacturers and it is common coutesy to bring it back with what it goes out with or everyone will bring them back on fumes so the next person out has to head for the nearest petrol station.Of course, if you think those "terms" are unreasonable you are more than welcome not to take our bike out  :)
« Last Edit: 15 July 2019, 07:35:38 pm by StuartGSXR »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 July 2019, 08:54:45 pm »

Correct, just like if you crash your own bike and there is an isurance claim you have to pay the first £xxx excess. If it is £100 damage you pay £100, if its £5000 you pay the £750. No different at all.
You have to put petrol in because running demo bikes costs dealers lots of money as it is. We get very little funding from manufacturers and it is common coutesy to bring it back with what it goes out with or everyone will bring them back on fumes so the next person out has to head for the nearest petrol station.Of course, if you think those "terms" are unreasonable you are more than welcome not to take our bike out  :)
Still dont get why that is all so with a bike but not when I tak out a car for a test drive - also the car is worth a lot more than the bike. I took a car out a couple of weeks ago and the salesman drove it to the garage and put some petrol in and then I drove it from there.
Its having to pay the cost to fix - up to £750 that puts me off test riding a bike. Looks like the dealer making a nice earner out of repairs as the repairs also carry a labour cost which go's in their pocket whilstr also sourcing the parts cheaply I assume.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2019, 08:56:13 pm by fazersharp »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 July 2019, 09:25:11 pm »
 S
till don’t get why that is all so with a bike but not when I take out a car for a test drive - also the car is worth a lot more than the bike.
Don’t forget that it is your responsibility to ensure any vehicle that you take out on the public highway is insured.    You might want to ask more questions when you next take a car for a test drive.

Again, hire cars and curtesy cars and bikes.  It’s your responsibility – check the terms.  1,500 quid excess is not unusual on a curtesy car for example. 
Its having to pay the cost to fix - up to £750 that puts me off test riding a bike.
Again, It’s your responsibility to ensure the vehicle you are driving is insured, therefore it’s your responsibility to know and accept the excess. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 July 2019, 09:38:24 pm »
S
till don’t get why that is all so with a bike but not when I take out a car for a test drive - also the car is worth a lot more than the bike.
Don’t forget that it is your responsibility to ensure any vehicle that you take out on the public highway is insured.    You might want to ask more questions when you next take a car for a test drive.
They put trade plates on. Curtsey/hire cars are a completely different matter, we are not talking about those. 

Rather than have the possibility of up to £750 I would rather pay a sort of damage waiver £30 lets say, non refundable. BUT if I subsequently buy the/a bike then the £30 comes off the price. 
« Last Edit: 15 July 2019, 09:41:42 pm by fazersharp »

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 July 2019, 10:12:40 pm »
S
They put trade plates on. Curtsey/hire cars are a completely different matter, we are not talking about those. 

Rather than have the possibility of up to £750 I would rather pay a sort of damage waiver £30 lets say, non refundable. BUT if I subsequently buy the/a bike then the £30 comes off the price.
Motorbike demonstrators do not have trade plates, but even if a vehicle is out on trade plates it is insured. Its simple, if there is a claim, there is an excess... regardless of who has the insurance. Your fault your excess.Also remember when you go out in a car you have the sales person sat next to you, not the same when you take a bike for a couple of hours... but as said, if you don't like the terms, dont take a demo bike out.. no worries :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 July 2019, 10:50:21 pm »

Of the three bikes I took out recently, only the Honda was on a trade plate. 

And it is all the same.  Whether it your vehicle, a demo or a curtesy, they have to be insured and there will be an excess.

I always ask about insurance and always read what I am signing.  The last time I had an accident on a bike, 20 odd years ago, it was on a curtesy bike.  I signed for a 500 quid excess.  But what I didn’t realise was that I was signing for the dealer’s comprehensive part of the insurance – ie their bike.  They did not provide me with third party cover.  They assumed as I had comprehensive cover my insurance would cover the third-party aspect, all they provided was insurance to cover the bike.  This wasn’t discussed – and as it turned out my policy did not give me cover to ride other bikes.

Now the police attended the incident and wanted to check details – and that’s where things got interesting.

And that’s why I am saying to you that it is your responsibility to make sure any vechicle that you are driving/riding has – 1. The legally required level of insurance and that 2. You are happy with the insurance arrangements in general.

So keep yourself right and as Stuart says it’s also your choice.
Looks like the dealer making a nice earner out of repairs as the repairs also carry a labour cost which go's in their pocket whilstr also sourcing the parts cheaply I assume.
I think dealers put bikes on to sell bikes.  I don't think they want punters trashing them - it can be a whole lotta hassle.  I would assume their priority, should you damage their bike, is to get it fixed and back on the road.  I’d guess if it’s under the excess, they’ll do that as quickly and cheaply as possible.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 July 2019, 10:53:15 pm »
Anyway fazersharp, go on take an MT10 oot fae a spin. ;)
And perhaps consider wearing a nappy or take a change of underwear.  It's one fun loving keen bike. :lol   Anybody can wheelie like a pro on that thing.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 July 2019, 11:09:31 pm »
Anyway fazersharp, go on take an MT10 oot fae a spin. ;)
And perhaps consider wearing a nappy
:rolleyes same old same old - just a different thread. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2019, 06:41:21 am »
fazersharp don't bite. C90 & MT10  :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 06:46:09 am by steve 10562cc »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2019, 06:08:26 pm »

God only knows what you lot are biting on now :lol

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2019, 12:14:52 am »

God only knows what you lot are biting on now :lol

I think if you two met up it'd be a knuckle sandwich  :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 July 2019, 11:26:55 am »

I have had 3 BMW bikes over the years and no problems with any of them--really reliable machines.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2019, 12:29:02 pm »
I've had only one BMW, and have never spent so much money in keeping one bike on the road, in all my biking lifetime.  :'( A gearbox failure at 50 odd thousand miles, was the final straw.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 July 2019, 06:33:48 pm »
The MT10 and the SP are an awesome bike in its class... when you look at the competition, most of them are using very old engines / tech ( GSXS1000 is a 2005 GSXR1000 engine thats been detuned). The Sp is a tricky one, when you add up the individual cost of the Ohlins electronic forks, Ohlins shock, colour display etc it stacks up.. but.. you would only need the Ohlins if you were using it on track a lot and if you were using a bike on track a lot it would not be an MT10 the SP is kind of the answer to a question nobody asked..

that said, it is brilliant on track, I had to go to Silverstone for "work" the other week and have several half hour sessions on track on the R1M, R1, MT10SP and even a Tracer 900 and the MT10SP was much fun!

You work at a bike shop! You lucky foccer :D

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 July 2019, 11:17:59 pm »
Its not that excting... apart from the very occasional free track day and getting to mess about on all the demo bikes including a 214bhp Ducati V4.. whats to like ;)

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 July 2019, 12:20:08 am »

You work at a bike shop! You lucky foccer :D

is this you?

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 19 July 2019, 10:58:19 am »
Yes, it was a dealer day at Silverstone a few weeks ago. Had half hour sessions on track on the R1M, R1, MT10SP, R1M again and the Tracer 900.What better than thrashing bikes round a track for free, when they are not your bikes and with no excess if you run out of talent!
R1M is a machine

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 July 2019, 09:03:36 pm »
Very stylish. :thumbup