Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:15 am

Author Topic: clocks gone bad  (Read 1422 times)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
clocks gone bad
« on: 25 June 2019, 06:29:37 pm »
Greetings everyone in Fazerland, its been a number of years since the last time I was on here, life in general taking over etc! So to my problem, recently got the old girl out of mothballs, having not ridden her for over a year :eek , gave her a wash and took for an MoT, when i got to the testing station i discovered my clocks had stopped working! The rev counter isn't working at all, the speedo didn't work when riding it, the clock and odometer aren't working either. In fact, the only thing working on there is the fuel gauge! So, my question is, anyone any ideas as to what could be the problem?
As a matter of interest, I have had the clocks apart and there are no corroded or burnt connections on the PCB, the plug into the back is clean and there does seem to be power going to the clocks, so I'm a little stumped, supposed to be going up to the Lakes this weekend coming and don't fancy guessing my speed!  :lol  Thanks in advance :)

crussell92

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: clocks gone bad
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2019, 02:08:30 am »
Greetings from fazerland! Mine used to do this, turned out the pins were corroded in the connector block under the left hand infill. Once this was cleaned up and jiggled about with contact cleaner all was well, and has been well for 2 years. This also made the indicators play up as well but thats another story.
Good luck!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2019, 12:42:31 pm »
If its been unused for a while, it could be a corroded connector.

Humour us though. Connect some jump leads to the car and prove the battery is not causing the problem.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2019, 05:11:56 pm »
It's a brand new battery fitted just before going for MoT so I can't see that being a problem, I've had a look at the connector block under the left side inner fairing panel and that's seems to be fairly clean. I did read somewhere about checking the "back up" fuse is ok, which I've again checked and the fuse is ok. However, when I checked the voltage between the fuse connections, it was reading a slightly lower voltage, coming in at around 10-11 volts, don't know if that has any bearing on the issue?

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2019, 06:25:08 pm »
Just had the multi meter going round the PCB on the clocks and it is showing power going to the LCD displays, just over 5 volts, and there are various points around the circuit board that have 12+ volts going through them so I'm stumped! Just don't understand how I have a fuel gauge, fuel warning light, temp warning light and idiot lights but no rev counter, lcd  display or, seemingly, a Speedo, just bloody weird!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2019, 09:37:12 pm »
As already said  possibly the connector block corroded   or you've just got it wet from the wash.  Did you use a jetwash.  They may start working after had time to dry out like mine have in the past
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2019, 07:08:56 pm »
Actually, yeah I did use a jet wash tho didn't think I'd got too close to the clocks, it's quite possible that that's the problem, fingers crossed it's something that simple eh 😀
Thanks for the replies chaps 👍

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2019, 05:45:55 pm »
Did you manage to get your MOT with the Speedometer and Rev Counter not working?

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2019, 09:00:05 pm »
Yeah, the mot wasn't a problem, the Speedo can't be checked whilst stationary and it doesn't need a rev counter to be legal. The only problem was putting in the miles for MoT history, unfortunately, it had to be left blank!

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2019, 12:32:16 pm »
That's good to know as my speedo has stopped working just last week. Rev counter ok and mileometer showing ok, just not incrementing.
Need to investigate whether it is speedometer, speed sensor or bad connection in between.
I suspect it is the speed sensor as everything else seems to work ok.
I understand if you rotate the rear wheel the speed sensor should change between 0V and 5V and the rate of change gives the speed.

What I don't know is if the bike has to be in gear for this to happen???

BTW. My MOT is due mid August that is why I was asking about the speedometer affecting this.

Cheers
Dave...

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2019, 01:18:25 am »
I've posted on here in the past about jet/steam cleaners,they're a pain up the arse! not only do they get in everywhere,when you start your bike/car up after the condensation can reek havoc and be a swine to get rid of,to be fair it's normally worse with cars because of the engine being in a bay but you can still get big problems on bikes if your unlucky.I used to do car valeting and we had more aggro with steam cleaning engines than anything.Car engines can get really shitty though and you have to steam clean them most of the time but I would never do a bike,just ain't worth it IMO. :thumbdown
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.