Date: 18-04-24  Time: 01:27 am

Author Topic: Just been told £2000 to repair my FZ1S  (Read 5922 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Just been told £2000 to repair my FZ1S
« on: 25 June 2019, 03:52:15 pm »
After uttering every swear word possible this is what happened:

On the way home last night I noticed a high pitched whirring noise, I was only a mile form home so kept going, got home checked a few things and started her up again and all seemed ok.

Started it this morning seemd ok, got about a mile down the road and the engine light came on, turned round and went home but it dies after about 100 yards, pushed it home and called breakdown.

Breakdown have taken it to a main dealer who has just phoned and said that the generator has come apart and broken up and quoted me £800 for parts (generator / regulator / battery) and it wil be another £1200 labour - so a total bill of around £2000 plus they are not willing to gaurantee the work as they said parts of the magnets from the generator could have got in the engine and will cause more damage.

So I could agree to the work, they do it, then start it up and the engine is damaged further and I still owe them £2000

Obviously I'm not happy and a 2007 35k miles FZ1S is not worth investing another £2k in for a 'might fix it' solution.

They've emailed me some pictures which I'll try to post below.

Does this sound feasible to anyone?

Anyone else had a generator break up and ruin the engine?

How much does a replacement generator and rectifier really cost?

I am gutted beyond belief as I wanted to keep this bike until I retired and that would have been my last big bike.

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
Re: Just been told £2000 to repair my FZ1S
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2019, 04:35:44 pm »
Fowlers parts list shows :- Rotor £655.
                                      Stator £345.
                                 Regulator £236.
Ouch.  :eek [size=78%] There is more than likely after market Regulators available, but don't know if you can get aftermarket Stator or Rotor. Possible used from a breaker?[/size]
A very quick internet search found a Rotor for £268. A Stator for £47. ?? Regulator £80. But you need the exact model for proper comparisons.

If the magnets have broken up who knows where the bits might have ended up.

Be interesting to see the photos you have if you can post them.

With the aid/help of a workshop manual could be a diy job? Some other foccer may have experience with this, and offer some advice. With a bit of luck.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
How do I post pictures?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2019, 04:48:02 pm »
I'd personally source a replacement engine and be done with it. I'm sure it would be a fair bit cheaper than any of that
Anyone with a bit of common sense and some spare time can swap a full engine so wouldnt need to pay stupid labour costs.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
Pic 1

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2019, 04:57:06 pm »
Pic 2

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2019, 04:57:35 pm »
Pic 3

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2019, 04:58:17 pm »
Pic 4

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2019, 04:59:02 pm »
pic 5

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2019, 04:59:45 pm »
pic 6

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2019, 05:01:22 pm »
Pic 7

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2019, 05:02:01 pm »
Pic 8

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
Pic 9

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2019, 05:04:43 pm »
I understand the suggestions to DIY and swapping an engine yourself but I don't have the knowledge or time to do a job like this at all, so it's going to have to be a garage job.
I suppose my question now is, is it worth it or should I just walk away and get a bus pass?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2019, 05:13:50 pm »
My first thought was how would the magnets get into the engine? I have only ever seen them outside the oily areas before, but having seen the pictures, the FZ1 is obviously different.

As for spending £2K to fix a £3K bike, only you can decide that.

If it was me I would look at how much I could get a replacement engine for and then add on £5-600 for the local garage to fit it if I couldn't do it myself.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2019, 05:31:41 pm »
Yeah I guess so, I'm not really on a position to afford the £2k and buying another bike is out of the question so I reckon my days on a big bike are done.
It must be worth something as a breaker?

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2019, 05:39:17 pm »
Apparently this is not unknown to happen on the FZ1. There are some old posts on this and other forums. Doesn’t help your predicament I know. But there might be others out there who can help, don’t lose hope just yet.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 05:42:29 pm by FILZ6 »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2019, 07:30:40 pm »
All you're getting from them for the £2000 is a new stator and rotor fitted. And even after that's done the engine could still be ruined from metal contamination so your £2000 would be a waste of money. It might make more sense and be cheaper to fit a used engine. You might even get a guarantee on the used engine.

Or you could take the sump off check for metal contamination. If it doesn't look too bad get a used stator and rotor off ebay or from a breaker and fit them yourself. It looks like a very easy job. No pullers or special tools required. Have a look on Youtube. Flush cheap oil through the engine a few times to get any metal out and if you're lucky the engine will be ok. It would cost the price of the used stator and rotor, a sump gasket and a few bottles of oil

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2019, 09:02:29 pm »
thats a shit thing to have happen mate, I do feel for you. Id look out for another lump or buy a wrecked bike from a breaker (obviously with a good engine) New parts prices are ridiculous. Cant believe that did that at that mileage. I thought modern bikes were pretty much bulletproof nowadays

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2019, 09:56:02 pm »
It gets worse - I booked bike transport via delievry quote compare.com  to get it out of the dealer who wants £2k and over to a local garage who said they'll look into used parts.

I've been trying to call the transporter since 4pm and they've just emailed me to say 'office closed at 6pm, ring in the morning', so I replied that it needs picking up tomorrow as I specified when I booked it and they emailed me back to say they can't do it until Friday!
He then had the cheek to email and say I should have checked with him before booking it - but you don't get their contact details until you've paid! I pointed that out in an email and asked how I can get a refund as Firiday is no good and guess what - no response.

So now I'm trying to get my money back through the credit card company. Steam is coming out of my ears.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 June 2019, 10:00:34 pm »
thats a shit thing to have happen mate, I do feel for you. Id look out for another lump or buy a wrecked bike from a breaker (obviously with a good engine) New parts prices are ridiculous. Cant believe that did that at that mileage. I thought modern bikes were pretty much bulletproof nowadays
It's not like it hasn't been serviced, I use it every day for work so it gets a service every year without fail and a full one, no half sevices and earlier this year it had the valves done in a major service which cost about £500
To be honest this is just another shit thing to happen in a long run of shit things.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 June 2019, 10:35:14 pm »
That is a real bummer all right....but not the end of the world. Don't panic into doing something until u have a chance to think about it, Get the bike home,,,cover it up and leave it alone...u might be surprised wot u can do yourself once ur mind gets around it,,,,! :faz :smokin

First step....download workshop manual (not user manual) ...costs about €4.... :)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 11:04:53 pm by Steve3351 »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #22 on: 25 June 2019, 10:35:54 pm »
FFS! It cost me just over £1000 for a new engine for my FZ6 including getting it installed!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 June 2019, 11:07:54 pm »
If the bike isnt your main means of transport and you dont "need" it for work then just accept nil return for it, get shot of it and be relieved of the stress thats going to come......it will be liberating i'm sure.

Shit happens & Unexpected malfunctions happen but at least it was nothing that spat you off the bike with injuries.

It is better to get shot in a dignified manner than to scrape around for pennies for it or spend money you cant afford and will be forever grudged.

Theres always more chances for bikes in future if you dont set yourself ultimatums and deadlines.......plenty cheap bikes, even big ones for £1000 out there with full mot and in good running order.

Thats my highly technical tuppence worth :smokin

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 June 2019, 12:36:24 am »
I'd personally source a replacement engine and be done with it. I'm sure it would be a fair bit cheaper than any of that
Anyone with a bit of common sense and some spare time can swap a full engine so wouldnt need to pay stupid labour costs.

definitely,don't even think about the repair!either have a go yourself or get a mate or two to help and when it's up and running sell the engine in parts,head,gearbox,whatever you don't have to put on your donor engine,I'll bet you'll be surprised how sort after engine bits are,good luck. :thumbup :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.