Date: 23-04-24  Time: 18:40 pm

Author Topic: Clutch not working  (Read 958 times)

Ginger pig

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Clutch not working
« on: 23 June 2019, 11:49:16 pm »
I've. Found a problem today. On my 2001 I can't pull the clutch in fully it goes hard before fully pulled I can engage and disengage gears just feels wrong ..I'm not sure if it's the worm mechanism not working correctly
« Last Edit: 23 June 2019, 11:50:13 pm by Ginger pig »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch not working
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2019, 12:58:17 am »
Unbolt the front sprocket cover from the bike. Pull the clutch lever. Is it smooth and free when you pull it or is it still stiff? Most likely is that the cable is freyed and binding.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ginger pig

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2019, 08:15:10 am »
Thanks guys I did order a new cable yesterday hoping it might be that simple so I'll give it a go once it arrives . It feels no different with the cover removed from the bike
« Last Edit: 24 June 2019, 08:18:10 am by Ginger pig »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 09:37:28 am »
Pop out the rubber bung on the sprocket cover and check the adjuster and locknut haven’t loosened off.
If it’s not set correctly there then you could reach the endstop before the pushrod is able to operate the clutch, though you’d also be running out of adjustment at the handlebar.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2019, 10:32:53 am »
Thanks guys I did order a new cable yesterday hoping it might be that simple so I'll give it a go once it arrives . It feels no different with the cover removed from the bike

With no change with cover removed than as others have said cable or the mechanism in the cover binding.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2019, 01:21:02 pm »
Have a read of this, and grease the bearings in the cover while it’s off, it’s well worth doing.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10124.0.html
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ginger pig

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2019, 05:43:25 pm »
Have a read of this, and grease the bearings in the cover while it’s off, it’s well worth doing.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10124.0.html
thanks for the advice guys and I'm certainly going to do that greasing ,I recently replaced the front sprocket and the 9mm nut was still in place so I replaced the nut and washer with the 12mm upgrade ,I cleaned the case thoroughly was a bit of a mess greased the ball where the push rod goes wasn't aware of the method to grease the actuator ,HAVE TO HOLD MY HANDS UP I'm a dick head clutch problem sorted the bike has Oxford heated grips fitted and the grip had drifted around the bar and the wiring shroud was interfering with the clutch lever can't believe I didn't spot it yesterday as they say walk away and start afresh the next day .SOA few quid on bits will teach me a lesson in the future ,lol now for some adhesive to fix that bloody grip