Date: 26-04-24  Time: 07:30 am

Author Topic: Metal (aluminium) filler???  (Read 1111 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Metal (aluminium) filler???
« on: 23 June 2019, 07:59:12 pm »

OK, so I've ordered new caps to go on the swingarm but the pivot outer was really scored and pitted on one end - it was gonna chew up the new oil seal in minutes. So I smoothed it with some sand screen (like emery cloth) but it's still not good - see photo. Is there a product I could use to fill this? I was thinking of just using body filler but I don't know if that will work well with the grease and the oil seal rubbing across it. The swingarm is aluminium so it needs to be approximately as soft as aluminium. But it's only a surface for the oil (grease) seal to seal against so it's not super-critical. I just want to get a good seal, basically. Any ideas?

Cheers

Swingarm_outer
Swingarm_outer

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Re: Metal (aluminium) filler???
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2019, 01:10:36 pm »
JB Weld?

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2019, 01:26:21 pm »
JB Weld?

Cheers, good call.

JB Weld is probably best but the aluminium is so soft I'm wondering about using epoxy resin instead. I've not used JB Weld before but it's supposed to be so hard I'm concerned it's much harder than the aluminium so it'll be hard to work the filled surface to a good final finish...

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2019, 02:34:50 pm »
 Use two of these,  Speedi Sleeve's, very thin hardened steel shaft repair sleeve.  Comes with its own fitting dolly and will never wear out,  100 %  reliable repair. https://www.google.com/search?q=Speedi+sleeve&oq=Speedi+sleeve&aqs=chrome..69i57.7272j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8      P.S. The flanged end is slightly undercut so that when fitted this can be torn off.  ;)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 02:38:10 pm by Decoke Dave »
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2019, 09:22:58 pm »
Speedi Sleeves - wow, will remember them for the future.

So I threw some JB Weld in there - pretty happy with the result - smooth as a baby's bum.

Just gotta make up a press now to press the new bearings in. Anyone got one they can lend??

Swingarm_outer_filled
Swingarm_outer_filled