Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:22 pm

Author Topic: Non standard chain & sprockets  (Read 1548 times)

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Non standard chain & sprockets
« on: 17 June 2019, 12:49:15 pm »
Hi Foccers
I have to change my chain and sprockets....i want to raise the gearing slightly, ie. a longer first gear and higher top speed..
should i get non-standard front and rear (one tooth more front, and one less back), or is one tooth more or less on ONE sprocket enuf....?  :book

daviee

Re: Non standard chain & sprockets
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2019, 05:28:54 pm »
dont waste you time you wont get more top end and the engine wont pull it stick with standard

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2019, 06:36:54 pm »
EEK....actually i don't want to go faster, just feel that 1st is too short, and getting into 6th too early...
going around a right angled corner i want to be in 2nd...but its always a toss up between 2nd and third....
anyway ive ordered +1 front and -1 rear...will see how it goes :rolleyes

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2019, 07:43:46 pm »
I always use www.gearingcommander.com when looking at these kind of things.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 11:47:47 pm »
DAM....i got the +1 and -1 sprockets and a new chain...and joined them with the tool that they give u with the set...
Only realised after that the chain goes thru the frame around the swing arm pivot...so had to drill open the joiner link..ruining it (JAYSUS they're hard)
and now waiting for new joiner from ebay... :eek

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2019, 10:26:21 pm »
OK Foccers...i fitted the non-std chain and sprockets...(+1 front and -1 rear)
Bike immediately feels more relaxed...longer first gear is less frantic, and cruising along at 55/60mph in 6th @ about 4,500 revs is just fine...no torque problems, she still pulls away LUSTILY in 6th from around 3000rpm.
Need to try it on a motorway but i'm sure slightly lower revs is better...i always felt the revs were too high at motorway speed.
But i'm a light foccer...about 10st. ....and i never carry a passenger :lol :D :)

PS yes you do need to undo the bar that holds the rear caliper...a bitch...I had to cut off one of the bolts
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 10:26:38 pm by Steve3351 »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2019, 10:26:06 pm »
DAM....i got the +1 and -1 sprockets and a new chain...and joined them with the tool that they give u with the set...
Only realised after that the chain goes thru the frame around the swing arm pivot...so had to drill open the joiner link..ruining it (JAYSUS they're hard)
Having joined the chain you could still have fitted it by removing the swinging arm and used the opportunity to give all the linkages etc a good clean and re-greased all the pivots. Just think how much better you would have felt after doing that for the bike.  :)
I found your observations on the revised gearing interesting as I might be thinking of new chain and sprockets myself before too long. The original chain has now done 56,000 miles and still seems o.k. but the rear sprocket is starting to show signs of wear. Now on it's third front sprocket. I agree that first gear seems too low setting off most of the time and having come from a single cylinder bike I was always going for another gear when up to speed on a motorway. I guess I've got used to it now and I'm happy to let it spin away.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2019, 03:50:06 pm »
Having joined the chain you could still have fitted it by removing the swinging arm and used the opportunity to give all the linkages etc a good clean and re-greased all the pivots. Just think how much better you would have felt after doing that for the bike.  :)
I found your observations on the revised gearing interesting as I might be thinking of new chain and sprockets myself before too long. The original chain has now done 56,000 miles and still seems o.k. but the rear sprocket is starting to show signs of wear. Now on it's third front sprocket. I agree that first gear seems too low setting off most of the time and having come from a single cylinder bike I was always going for another gear when up to speed on a motorway. I guess I've got used to it now and I'm happy to let it spin away.

Yes im sure i wud have felt VERY GOOD had i removed the swinging arm etc...but im working outside on the path so its a bit AWKWARD...I need a bike lift... and a workshop... i didn't consider just changing one sprocket...something was sticking so I just binned the lot and replaced everything...after 30K mls :rolleyes :rollin :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2019, 06:32:10 pm »
Why didn't you just remove the swinging arm? :rolleyes You could have checked and greased up all the bearings at the same time.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2019, 06:56:31 pm »
Had so much grief  :'( getting the rear caliper bar off that i cuddent face any more...taking the swing arm off looks like a big job to me...?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2019, 07:10:08 pm »
Had so much grief  :'( getting the rear caliper bar off that i cuddent face any more...taking the swing arm off looks like a big job to me...?
That tourque arm is not supposed to be rock solid and from memory the Nm figure for the nuts is only 20 ? If they were solid then they have not been undone for years which they should of been for adjusting the chain in the past.They are metal locking nuts - as opposed to nylon locks.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 07:11:08 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2019, 12:50:20 pm »
Yes it makes sense that the bar must be loose in order to adjust the chain...but i never did loosen it, and looks like no one else did either...i couldn't open the bolts...had to cut one off....now they are OK and in future if i'm adjusting the chain i will loosen them off.........U live and learn  :'( :rollin :D