Date: 24-04-24  Time: 00:37 am

Author Topic: Ear plugs - recommendations??? Minerva any good???  (Read 4099 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ear plugs - recommendations??? Minerva any good???
« on: 17 June 2019, 10:48:36 am »

Test rode a Thruxton on Saturday - 3 hours across Essex and Suffolk. Superb. Want one.

But after the ride my ears were RINGING. So I've decided I can't get one until I've found some hearing protection that works (which means another test ride :-)
I was using the same old disposable yellow foam plugs I've been using for decades but the extra wind noise (from having no fairing, I guess) was too much for them.

I'm looking at getting the Minerva custom-made BikePlugs at £115 fitted and supplied through SpecSavers - reviews? recommendations?

Cheers,
Dave

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Ear plugs - recommendations??? Minerva any good???
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2019, 11:47:50 am »
After testing soooooo many my recommendation would the ear soft fx. they are comfy and give good sound reduction. If by basic ones you mean the EAR classic with a flat end then I found those the worse. I started with those many years ago as they were the most well known -go-to - get them everywhere but struggled with fit for various reasons I then went on a long quest to find something better, after many years trying different ones I had another go with them and realised they were not very good, for me anyway.
To get a good sound reduction obviously you need to have a good fit and that is the problem with those classic ones.I have tried making my own outer ear ones with silicone putty (ebay )and were great while it was setting but moved around very slightly in the ear while riding (signing mostly or yawning on the straights ), maybe not soft /rubbery enough.My lid is a good fit and very tight getting it on and some plugs get dislodged at that stage, I have narrow ear canals and one bent ear canal and also get a build up of wax time to time so I do not like plugs all the way down. From an ebay seller I got a tester pack of 5 different ones, there are loads of different shapes and sizes.Always been too tight to pay for the proper made to measure ones. 
« Last Edit: 17 June 2019, 12:11:58 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2019, 02:10:17 pm »
After testing soooooo many my recommendation would the ear soft fx. they are comfy and give good sound reduction. If by basic ones you mean the EAR classic with a flat end then I found those the worse. I started with those many years ago as they were the most well known -go-to - get them everywhere but struggled with fit for various reasons I then went on a long quest to find something better, after many years trying different ones I had another go with them and realised they were not very good, for me anyway.
To get a good sound reduction obviously you need to have a good fit and that is the problem with those classic ones.I have tried making my own outer ear ones with silicone putty (ebay )and were great while it was setting but moved around very slightly in the ear while riding (signing mostly or yawning on the straights ), maybe not soft /rubbery enough.My lid is a good fit and very tight getting it on and some plugs get dislodged at that stage, I have narrow ear canals and one bent ear canal and also get a build up of wax time to time so I do not like plugs all the way down. From an ebay seller I got a tester pack of 5 different ones, there are loads of different shapes and sizes.Always been too tight to pay for the proper made to measure ones.

Another vote foe Earsoft FX  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2019, 03:12:12 pm »
https://youtu.be/eEdf0R5ypsg

This is worth a watch. The presenter Ryan is a little.... odd, but if you can get past that then he does some very informative comparison videos

The chain lube one was especially interesting

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2019, 03:52:08 pm »
Spot on Dude.
He did a good one on flip front helmets too.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2019, 04:15:49 pm »

Test rode a Thruxton on Saturday - 3 hours across Essex and Suffolk. Superb. Want one.

But after the ride my ears were RINGING. So I've decided I can't get one until I've found some hearing protection that works (which means another test ride :-)
I was using the same old disposable yellow foam plugs I've been using for decades but the extra wind noise (from having no fairing, I guess) was too much for them.

I'm looking at getting the Minerva custom-made BikePlugs at £115 fitted and supplied through SpecSavers - reviews? recommendations?

Cheers,
Dave
I wear custom made plugs too. Got mine from here and they're a great fit. They also do unfiltered ones which are slightly cheaper. [size=78%]https://www.ultimateear.com/products/motorcyclist-filtered-ear-plugs[/size]
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2019, 04:37:29 pm »

Another vote foe Earsoft FX  :thumbup
it was from a recommendation on here that i tried them - could of been you, so thanks. watching the video i forgot that i also tried wax ones which also dislodged when i pulled my lid on so i then have to shove my hand up there to try and poke back in place.
I also tried docs pro plugs swim ear plugs but one side fitted good and the other needed to be a different size to fit my outer ear shape and at £16 a set I did not fancy buying another set to find out they were still no good, I do use then for swimming for which they are good but need a better fit for sound.
With my ear soft fx I cut off a few mms of the outer fat end as I do not stuff them all the way down and by slightly shortening them it stops them being ripped out when I put on my helmet 

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2019, 08:43:19 pm »
Either laser lite ear plugs (get them from work) or if I remember to lift them my cheapo custom jobs which work well:

Proguard MYO - Mould your own custom earplugs - Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZLF9EU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M0-bDbPGJ40NY

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2019, 08:19:38 pm »
Laser lite for me too.

I’ve tried lots of different ones over the years including recently trying some Pinlock ones. These were ok but I must have an odd shaped left lug hole because the plug keeps working it’s way out. They’re better with my intercom though as you can hear music and conversations clearer whilst keeping the wind noise down.
Shame they’re not fitting too well for me.  :rolleyes

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2019, 09:38:27 pm »
zoggs silicone putty ear plugs- the only stuff that doesn't hurt my ears after 5 hour of use.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2019, 09:41:50 am »
zoggs silicone putty ear plugs- the only stuff that doesn't hurt my ears after 5 hour of use.
yep i have tried those type but found that the fit moved when i put my lid on so i have to stuff my hand up and re press them in. I found that I only needed less than half of the pre blob amount. They are comfy as they are designed to only cover the outside and ear canal entrance.   

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 June 2019, 09:30:46 pm »
The Howard Leight QD1 used to be very good and then they went and fucked with the design rendering them useless, a rescent ride magazine article came to the samre conclusion as I did. I have emailed Howard Leight 2x but have heard nothing back - so maybe they just done give a flying fuck.

I am considering the the plugs the Auritech bikers plugs, as reviewed by Ride, they are £20 so its gonna be expensive if you loose one and Auritech dont sell single plugs.

I am currently using foam laserlite clones, they work very well but after 2-3 weeks they need chucking in the bin.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2019, 09:31:36 pm by b1k3rdude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2019, 10:51:29 am »
I am considering the the plugs the Auritech bikers plugs, as reviewed by Ride, they are £20 so its gonna be expensive if you loose one and Auritech dont sell single plugs.
To me it looks like that stem would stick out and dislodge the plugs when you put your lid on.I have also tried these and cut off the stem but they did not stay fully properly in place whilst riding and the sound reduction was not that good even when they were properly in place. 3M ear pods

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2019, 07:07:54 pm »
https://www.noisebreaker.com/

I now have three sets of these (job pays), I get them re-moulded every 5 years as the ear continues to grow and change shape, I still use all three sets dependant on what i'm doing with them. I have two sets of just in ear plugs and one set with a band attached to each plug which is really handy. Saying that, I've never lost any.

Oh, they are really good as well. I also have to have my hearing checked yearly and even riding bikes for the last 15 yrs in work, have had no change in my hearing, so they must do ok.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2019, 08:53:16 pm »

I now have three sets of these (job pays), I get them re-moulded every 5 years as the ear continues to grow and change shape, I still use all three sets dependant on what i'm doing with them. I have two sets of just in ear plugs and one set with a band attached to each plug which is really handy. Saying that, I've never lost any.

Oh, they are really good as well. I also have to have my hearing checked yearly and even riding bikes for the last 15 yrs in work, have had no change in my hearing, so they must do ok.
£80  :eek - gonna see if I can get a used pair on ebay  :lol

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2019, 08:23:48 am »

Lol, they are expensive, but will last for years. It's funny that some will spend £00's or £000's on kit and want the latest gear and accessories for the bikes, helmets, gloves, boots, exhausts etc, yet go all wobbly at £80 for something that will potentially save your hearing?

Strange old world?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2019, 09:29:51 am »

Lol, they are expensive, but will last for years. It's funny that some will spend £00's or £000's on kit and want the latest gear and accessories for the bikes, helmets, gloves, boots, exhausts etc, yet go all wobbly at £80 for something that will potentially save your hearing?

Strange old world?
You are right but when it comes to kit you can try on first before you buy - obviously not something you can do with those. And so the fear is expensive if you dont get on with them.
 What DB reduction do you get with those. I have read alot of white coat lab talk but no actual figures. The earsoft fx I currently use says   atteunation rating SNR = 38
« Last Edit: 22 June 2019, 09:37:13 am by fazersharp »

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2019, 01:29:07 pm »

ear plug test :- Wife starts to nag--put ear plugs in--if you can still hear the nagging--buy better ones that work--simples.

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2019, 02:07:34 pm »

Strange old world?
You are right but when it comes to kit you can try on first before you buy - obviously not something you can do with those. And so the fear is expensive if you dont get on with them.
 What DB reduction do you get with those. I have read alot of white coat lab talk but no actual figures. The earsoft fx I currently use says   atteunation rating SNR = 38

There is a link on the website to the certificates etc. Doesn't look like the noisebreaker has an SNR as good as the 3m's. But both conform to the same standards according to the certificates.

I'm lucky, I didn't have to pay for my moulded ones, and can only give my opinion. They've been great over the many years I've worn them, all day comfy and as they can only be put in the ear one way due to the shape, give the same protection each time. I found with the sponge/ foam plugs (which I have used from time to time), you can't guarantee they've gone in the correct way, and then the SNR protection doesn't make any difference.