Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:18 am

Author Topic: Fowlers/Bristol/ cb1000r  (Read 5194 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Fowlers/Bristol/ cb1000r
« Reply #50 on: 11 February 2019, 09:23:59 pm »
It's there but it's no twin. It's all still too high up to be actually useful unless your playing silly bugger. As with most inline 4s the power just starts kicking in the same time the speed limit does.
As for the front wheel, if your a gear too low out of a bend then it gets a bit flighty but I never found it a problem in the straights. Then again I weigh 100kg myself so not a lot of bikes tend to lift too much unless I make them.
Even the superduke 1290r kept its feet on the ground when I was riding it haha
Maybe I need to eat mare pies so I can handle these superbikes.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 May 2019, 03:49:05 pm »
Test rode an MT10 today - FFS!It is foccing nuts.  I pulled more wheelies in 1hr than I've pulled in the last few years.It has serious mid range punch.  If you try horsing the thing, it's like being in a boxing match.

So left Kilmarnock and headed to Ayr expecting the Honda dealer there to have a demo.Umm nope. 
80% of our bikes sales are without a demo the sales rep told me.  Sure, but not to me bud.  I'm your 20% - bye bye.

I could have headed to Glasgow, but by the time I would have got there and out on a demo, if they had one, well I'd be out in the rush hour.
Anyway phoned Victor Devine (Honda Glasgow) when I got home and they do indeed have a demo.  So..........

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 03 May 2019, 09:58:32 pm »
 :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 May 2019, 09:59:57 pm »
Not really sure what to make of the MT10.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 22 June 2019, 08:50:24 pm »
 So I’ve lined up a test ride of the R1250R for Sunday.

So this morning I popped up to see Victor Devine Honda in Glasgow.

So you wanna shot of the CB1000R – no problem.

1 grand excess.  And I get 1hr.

Unfortunately, Victor has run out of gas, but no worries I stop for juice whilst working my way out of Glasgow.  Which is a thing, I spend quite a bit of my test ride getting out of the city centre and then back into it.  The CB gets plenty of attention from cagers at the traffics lights.

So here’s my impressions.  You sit on it, not in it – there’s no feeling of having a big petrol tank in front of you.   It is totally naked, you feel as if there is nothing in front of your head at all.

It’s quick, though not ferocious like the MT10.  If you wind it up it gives you good warning of getting flighty.  I felt perfectly comfortable bumbling along at 80-85, above the ton you feel the wind blast and by 130 it’s dragging you off the back.

The engine is very Fazer like in it’s power delivery, quick but civilised.  But it feels busy and a little buzzy.  There are no deep growly tones from the exhaust or air box – the note is tinny and annoying.

It’s fantastic around town and through the city.  It feels super light.  I struggled with the clutch a bit pulling away, I had the lever out quite some way before it bit and then it felt a bit rough – maybe this demo bike had had some abuse.  But the box is sweet.  No quick shifter, but clutch-less changes were sweet and smooth.  Personally, I see little point in quick shifters anyway. 

The LCD panel, which clearly Honda have put a lot of thought into, tells you how fast you are going.  That’s about all I can see with ease.  Everything else is too small. 

Oh, another thing, every time I went to indicate the horn went off.  Why?  Cos Honda have decided to swap the usual indictor/horn positions round.  I had to keep looking down to find the indicators.

The seat is really firm and didn’t cause me any discomfort – but I suspect it might be torture after a couple of hours.  The suspension is firm too but seems to do what it needs to do.  It’s easy to throw and around and change direction mid corner – it feels super light.  The brakes – what is all the fuss about these fancy radial callipers?  They work, power and feed back feels better than on the MT10, but good old blue spots are as good as anything I think.

So I dunno.  MT10 v CB100r ?

MT10 is a nicer place to sit, you feel part of the bike as apposed to plonked on top of it.  The lights and instrument panel on the MT10 are out front and deflect a little air.   I think the MT10 would be a better place to sit all day, but then you won’t be sitting there for long before you need to stop for fuel.  The old fireblade engine in the CB1000r is quick, easy going but sounds annoying with the standard can.  While the CB wants to be your friend and tend to your every need, the MT10, if you open the taps wants to take you outside for a square go, but don’t worry it’ll soon run out of fuel. 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 June 2019, 10:51:04 am »

Excellent real world write up mate, nicely done! I still get mcn every week and read their comparison tests and it always intrigues me as to how much I would benefit (or be able to read nowadays) with their LCD screens. The thing I remember most about my FZ1 was how much I loved the big digi speedo. Be interesting to see how the bimmer compares...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 June 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
 So today I popped up to Douglas Park BMW in East Kilbride. 

I took out their R1250R Sport.  £250 quid excess – nice – nothing to worry about there.

They had to first explain to me the keyless ignition.  They dialled in standard settings and left me to it.  Got my hat and gloves on, then after 2- or 3-minutes fiddling with the ignition I got it to fire up.  I then shut it down, checked I could open the fuel cap, closed it and fired it up again.  I didn’t want to get a few miles down the road and find I could neither start it or get fuel in it.  What the foc is wrong with a bleedin key.

Straight off there is a lovely boxer thrum.  Also the best part of 1300cc and two big pots.  It swings the bike from side to side as you blip the throttle at a standstill – lovely.

The clutch is fine, just as always takes a little care and getting used to as is the case anytime you switch bikes. 

So first I had to get out of East Kilbride, which is no mean feat, but at least the endless roundabouts were fun.

She’s softly sprung and soaks up all the bumps.  It’s a different feel to the Japanese bikes, much softer, the bike moves about under you but at no time does she feel out of shape.

The engine is just incredible.  It picks up like an MT10, but without the shit yourself wheelies all the time.  It is a seriously rapid motorcycle.  It piles on torque from low revs and keeps on going.  It sounds good too, even on the standard can the sound track is infectious.

She weighs in at a portly 240kg but is easy to pick up off the side stand and at no time do you feel she’s a big heavy bike.

The riding position is lovely, and you have a nice big tank to wrap yer legs round.  The bars are just where you want em, the pegs feel relatively low.  It’s all day comfortable.

The TFT dash for once is really sweet, everything I want is there at a glance, speed, rpm, time, gear selection, fuel – all for once easy to read.  Just don’t press any buttons or you’ll find yourself lost in endless, and as far as VNA is concerned pointless menus. 

I had her for the best part of 2hrs and I grinned the whole time.

Fuel consumption.  The book says it has a range of 230 miles – ho ho ho.  I gave her plenty of stick, probably did the best part of 100 miles and no she didn’t seem to use a heck of a lot of juice.  I’m guessing it should a wee bit more economical than the fazer and give similar range (18ltr tank).

So, so far MT10, CB1000R and R1250R. 

The MT10 is nuts.  Great riding position.  It’s great fun.  But it’s way more than most half sane people will ever need.  If you are a mentalist and you don’t mind spending half your day on filling station forecourts, have no fear of running out of fuel and you like a scrap with your bike now and again – it’s the one to get.  If you feel the need to tune it then you probably need a little psychological therapy, or some anger management. :eek

The CB1000R is a lovely looking thing.  But you sit on top of it.  The TFT thing is hopeless.  It would make the perfect big bore city bike or short distance commute.  But I’m not sure I’d want to spend all day on or even think about touring.  And I hate to say it, it just didn’t gel with me – what is it everybody says about Hondas.  And I wanted so much to like it.

The R1250R makes me lauch wi oot me huvin tae soil ma troosers.  That boxer engine has character.  It’s a boxer that is fast as foc, you can throw it about about, it looks good in its own BMW weird sort of way and yeah it’s day after day comfortable.

Foccin ell, I must be getting old, I fear I’m about to become a BMW wank.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 June 2019, 07:00:18 pm »
Excellent real world write up mate, nicely done! I still get mcn every week and read their comparison tests and it always intrigues me as to how much I would benefit (or be able to read nowadays) with their LCD screens. The thing I remember most about my FZ1 was how much I loved the big digi speedo. Be interesting to see how the bimmer compares...
The BMW TFT dash is spot on.  The previous R1200R dash (non TFT) probably has the worst dash I've ever seen on a bike.  I can't fault the new un.
Talking of psychological help, maybe it's me.  Am I ill?  I think I've just fallen for a BMW.  It was my left field alternative, suck it and see option. 

Assuming I'm not ill, it just shows that, even as sort as some of them are, a wee test ride is important. 

Now the bit I hate - the deal.  Do BMW even do deals?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 23 June 2019, 07:05:25 pm »
I know I dont know you but from what I've gathered reading your comments I would say the BMW would be your best choice.

The Mt-10 seems to scare you a little and let's be honest it is just a hooligan bike, and it's by far the ugliest one of the 3

The Honda is just a pretty bike but I dont think its shines against the other two in any other department

The BMW has the looks, the engine' the character and enough power to keep you happy. It's something different (for now) and it's got a bit of class to it compared to the others.  I dont think I read a negative note in your review so I think that's the one you liked the most

I think you've just got to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and realise, at heart....  your a BMW wanker 😜🤣

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 23 June 2019, 07:21:12 pm »

I know I dont know you but from what I've gathered reading your comments I would say the BMW would be your best choice.
Are you saying I’m a complete and utter wanker? >:
I think you've just got to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and realise, at heart....  your a BMW wanker 😜🤣
Well that makes it abundantly clear. >:   Foccin comedian. :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 23 June 2019, 07:26:37 pm »
You know there's often the odd wanker in a bike shop - but the BMW shop had more than their fair share.

I mean I popped to the bog for a pee and to clean my visor.  There's some posh lookin git in normal clothes sitting at a desk waiting for the sales assitant to get back to him.  I'm dressed in my well worn leathers - ie not dressed like a BMW wank - I say Hi - how ya doin as I pass.  He just looked at me as if I wasn't there.   Wanker.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 23 June 2019, 07:47:36 pm »
Are you saying I’m a complete and utter wanker? >:
Well that makes it abundantly clear. >:   Foccin comedian. :lol

I'm sure you've been called worse 🤣

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 23 June 2019, 07:51:30 pm »
I'm sure you've been called worse 🤣
Foc you too :lol

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24 June 2019, 09:09:33 pm »

I get it completely. having ridden that r9t I think the new boxer twins are the perfect bike engine. The old ones were so shite too...
seriously, anybody who aint tried one should. BMW have really got their shit together now; if they are putting them new lumps in the GS range I'd be amazed anyone would consider similar priced adventure bikes from other manufacturers.
As for the BMW wanker thing, Ive got the HD wanker t shirt. I dont give a fuck. On the right day that old 1340 evolution engine and fatboy riding position at 45 mph around the forest roads is just the best feeling. Same as fast sticky black tarmacked welsh mountain roads flat stick on the fazer are.  I'll never run with the Harley good old boys anymore than I would with Squids. I love the fattie for my own reasons, same as I do the fazer and the cb. If that bimmer had you grinning for the whole ride, that counts for everything imho.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24 June 2019, 09:55:19 pm »

If that bimmer had you grinning for the whole ride, that counts for everything imho.

It did.  It’s bonkers quick too.  The 1250 engine is just incredible.  Down side is are there are no used uns available as it’s just out.  And I wouldn’t want anything else than the naked version.

Now I have to figure out BMW options.

Oh quick shifters?  I have no idea why anybody would want one.  I found when you used it on full pelt, if you want a truly smooth change you need to back the throttle off just a tad – so what’s the point?  But if you roll, or snap it off and back on like an ordinary bike it confuses the foc out of the thing.

The one extra that puzzles me is Dynamic ESA which is electronic suspension.  The bike I rode had it.  The fella was showing me all the options, the different ways it could be set up and asking me how I wanted it set up.  So we ended up on auto mode whatever that is.

I’m inclined to think it’s bollocks like a quick shifter – just a gimmick.  Or is it?  Was that bike so good because of it’s ESA, or would I not be able to tell the difference?

Oh dear.  BMW options lists. :\