Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:34 am

Author Topic: Put your baffles in  (Read 2548 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Put your baffles in
« on: 08 June 2019, 10:40:30 am »
Just seen in the news police are looking at introducing "acoustic cameras" to catch loud exhausts. I assume it is a mic attached to a camera to get your sound levels and then trigger a camera for your numberplate.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Put your baffles in
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2019, 11:16:15 am »

Can't say I'm surprised. Around this way just about every 125 on L plates appears to have had all the baffling removed from the silencer.

It's the fashion amongst them to see who can make the most noise. They're constantly revving them unnecessarily to increase the racket too.

At least big bikes sound good loud, these 125's are just foccin irritating.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2019, 11:27:56 am »
Bit of a grey area, because a colleague at work has a Harley that is stupidly noisy, but it obviously gets through an MOT because it's kind of accepted that it's the norm.
Yet as mentioned you get some bikes that are deliberately made to sound obscenely loud which are a complete and utter nuisance to anyone with ears.
I do think though that each rider only hears their own side of things when riding it, whereas what everyone else hears is just appalling, a bit like a tone deaf karaoke singer.

Last night there was a car going up and down the main road next to where i live that was so noisy it was like he never actually had an exhaust on it at all. And worse still he seemed rather proud of it so kept ragging it as well, i've never ever heard such a bad sounding car before, and i've heard some real shitters in my time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2019, 11:36:00 am »
It's the fashion amongst them to see who can make the most noise. They're constantly revving them unnecessarily to increase the racket too.
Yes I have noticed that too, they ride down the street in short sharp yanks on the accelerator and you can hear them for focin miles.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2019, 11:39:14 am »
Yes I have noticed that too, they ride down the street in short sharp yanks on the accelerator and you can hear them for focin miles.

The thing is, that's in the daytime when other vehicles are about, but early in the mornings when it's really quiet must be a real grate on the ears of neighbours, because things sound way louder then.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2019, 02:35:12 pm »

Can't say I'm surprised. Around this way just about every 125 on L plates appears to have had all the baffling removed from the silencer.

At least big bikes sound good loud, these 125's are just foccin irritating.

Hasn't it always been that way? It certainly was when I was learning in the early 80's and it was mainly two strokes back then.  :rolleyes :lol
« Last Edit: 09 June 2019, 02:38:21 pm by vinnyb »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2019, 11:05:19 pm »
A lot of this is because of the idiots who treat the A32 and A272 down here in Hampshire like a race track.

When at Loomies Cafe (which is at  the junction of the two roads) you can see the morons who think they're the dogs bollocks with their unbaffled pipes go screaming off down the road or blasting past and pissing off the people who live in the local villages.

As usual, it's the minority of inconsiderate pillocks who will spoil things for everyone else.

Oh and, PS, loud pipes do *NOT* save lives, defensive riding does!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2019, 11:30:57 pm »
I have never felt the need need for loud pipes, what's the point - look at me ? - what. I don't get it, I use ear plugs and anything over 40 mph the main noise you can hear is wind noise anyway. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2019, 06:32:46 am »

I have a scorpion can and front pipe in my FZ1,  there is a difference with the baffle out and in. Out makes more power at the top end noticeably so but less torque at low revs again noticeably so, and visa versa. I keep my baffle in for day to day riding even with the baffles in they are very quick way to loose your licence only take the baffle out for playtime
« Last Edit: 12 June 2019, 06:36:15 am by steve 10562cc »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2019, 07:11:13 am »
An age old problem . . .
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2019, 02:15:21 pm »
 Ridding?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2019, 06:58:43 pm »

I have a scorpion can and front pipe in my FZ1,  there is a difference with the baffle out and in. Out makes more power at the top end noticeably so but less torque at low revs again noticeably so, and visa versa. I keep my baffle in for day to day riding even with the baffles in they are very quick way to loose your licence only take the baffle out for playtime

I've always put louder aftermarket pipes on my bikes. I like the sound, usually as long as it isn't too loud. Never been done, or even warned for a loud exhaust in 30-something years, even when pulled for other things, and one or two have been quite loud.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2019, 07:10:27 pm »

I've always put louder aftermarket pipes on my bikes. I like the sound, usually as long as it isn't too loud. Never been done, or even warned for a loud exhaust in 30-something years, even when pulled for other things, and one or two have been quite loud.
Wonder how many people have actually been pulled for loud pipes, as soon as they see the stamped BS ? mark then that is the end of that anyway isn't it. Or if you do have one that is (for race use only ) as they say - without any BS mark then they don't even need to listen to it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2019, 07:38:49 pm »
The old bill in Germany put a stick down your can. If it goes in, you're done,end of. If you've got the db killer in, the stick won't go in.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2019, 07:49:00 pm »
A lot of this is because of the idiots who treat the A32 and A272 down here in Hampshire like a race track.

When at Loomies Cafe (which is at  the junction of the two roads) you can see the morons who think they're the dogs bollocks with their unbaffled pipes go screaming off down the road or blasting past and pissing off the people who live in the local villages.

As usual, it's the minority of inconsiderate pillocks who will spoil things for everyone else.

Blimey I've heard it all now, the Loud Pipes Police. Bet you can't wait for electric bikes. Fortunately I'll be long gone.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2019, 08:01:32 pm »
I don't have a problem with loud pipes never been stopped in 47 years on a bike. First thing I do when I get a different bike is put decent headers and can on it It's not about the noise for me it's about how it makes the bike perform .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2019, 08:05:10 pm »

Blimey I've heard it all now, the Loud Pipes Police. Bet you can't wait for electric bikes. Fortunately I'll be long gone.
Its this bit for me --- you can see the morons who think they're the dogs bollocks with their unbaffled pipes go screaming off down the road or blasting past and pissing off the people who live in the local villages. My angle on it is that riding through villages with loud pipes makes it sound like you are going fast and the next thing there is another speed camera or a "community" camera team set up there. Or some other bike clamp down in operation.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2019, 08:14:47 pm »
We have suffered this fate on the 6047 from Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray First half got 50mph SPEED LIMIT now due to dick heads speeding through villages been riding that road for best part of 40 years plenty of road out side the villages to enjoy our selves on

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2019, 08:48:16 pm »
Tbf, it's not even those who think they're showing off, screaming it away from a cafe or meet or whatever. But it's where those places are. I'm surprised I don't see more of them getting creamed by other traffic, and I feel for people who live there too. And at those sorts of places, I've seen them get killed. The White Bear in Ongar was one: police stepped up their presence when it became a dangerous nuisance, and still someone wiped themselves out playing silly buggers when the police weren't around. And that was the end of that pub, and that was far from being a built up area. Saw another at High Beach one time, guy with a girl on the back (and she was dressed to kill, not apparently aware she was also dressed to easily be killed) and he wheeled it over the top, showing off in an inappropriate place. As steve suggests, there are times and places to have fun, between the villages and towns away from (at least) most others. I mean, we all do some silly things now and again I guess, and I certainly was no angel as a yoof, but I certainly give it a lot more thought these days. Besides, I can't afford the petrol for too many shenanigans these days  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2019, 08:55:13 pm »
We have suffered this fate on the 6047 from Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray First half got 50mph SPEED LIMIT now due to dick heads speeding through villages been riding that road for best part of 40 years plenty of road out side the villages to enjoy our selves on
Yep when I come to the villages I am strict to the speed limits and as quite as a mouse, although I sometimes have sympathy for the last house in the village next to the national limit sign.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 June 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
And to all those that think a loud pipe keeps you safer are wrong- as it points out the back. I have solved this problem like this.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2019, 09:11:21 pm »
 It’s nice to have a bike, that well sounds like a bike.  But neither do I want to be seriously annoying anybody with my bike.  I’ve got retired neighbours too, who are usually still in their scratcher when I start the bike in the morning, but it’s not a problem, the EXUP valve keeps things sensible.  Yup towns and villages I keep to 30mph and keep it in 5th or 6th.

I live in a seaside town, and there’s a regular bike meet down the front.  Basically any sunny day from spring to autumn.  But there’s all these dudes with Harleys now.  Loads of them are so loud they shake the buildings.  Oh and the de-catted superbikes – they seem to be pretty anti-social too noise wise.  I’ve talked to guys whose attitude is “the louder the better”.

I just think noise enforcement is now inevitable – too many people ripping the pish right oot it.

I just hope it’s not so tight it catches us all.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2019, 09:57:16 pm »

Noise enforcement won't be straightforward and simple to enforce. Different legal noise limits apply depending on the age of the motorcycle in question.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a specific limit at all for a lot of the older vintage/classic bikes, just a vague stipulation that it shouldn't be 'excessive', or some such term.

I can see this being contentious :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2019, 10:17:57 pm »
....I guess the ANPR tech should in theory reference the allowable limit for individual bikes, but what happens if you're riding a standard 2019 bike amongst a load of Gold Star owners? :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2019, 10:55:21 pm »
....I guess the ANPR tech should in theory reference the allowable limit for individual bikes, but what happens if you're riding a standard 2019 bike amongst a load of Gold Star owners? :lol
That is a good point on the anpr tech.
When in the car depending on where the anpr cameras are in carparks I try to hang back if there is a big van infront that may obscure my plate when I leave because the next time I use the carpark I have had it ignore the "new " entry and then add the exit it has just seen to my original entry and log my car as being there for days rather than the 90min allowed.