Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:42 am

Author Topic: What aftermarket exhaust did you all get?  (Read 4276 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
What aftermarket exhaust did you all get?
« on: 07 June 2019, 12:14:33 am »
My downpipes are starting to look very crusty, in the quest to keep the old bird on the road and looking her best I'm gonna have to change them in the near future. Downpipes alone plus end can are +-£300, buying them seperately runs >£300

From what I see there's basically Black Widow and Delkevic giving the best value/range and it seems to me Delkevic are the better of the two. My riding buddy has a Delkevic on his bandit and it's pretty sweet.

I don't want a neighbour waking howl, I use my bike to commute in the summer from 6am and pissing them off is not my intention. I want a decent exhaust that let's the engine run well but let's be honest, in a tunnel if you wang the throttle back with the standard can it's a bit underwhelming.

I'm also a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to styling. No streetfazer here (sorry 74eldiablo). So with this in mind I've narrowed down the following 2 options, just putting it out there for your thoughts:

The practical option : 450mm so i guess this is the neighbour pleaser. This is also the same one my riding buddy has.
The wishlist : I like the look of it, perhaps a little stubby at 320mm but they don't have a longer one. Again, I'm not about announcing my presence to the whole neighbouhood.

So what do you all have? It's hard to make a decision without hearing how it will sound on the bike. There's also £50 between the practical and the wishlist.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: What aftermarket exhaust did you all get?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2019, 06:40:04 am »
The fella who used to Dyno my bike years ago when he used to clean my carbs for me always said that the original downpipes were the best, without question, but obviously trying to find a decent 2nd hand set could prove a bit much in this day and age, and new will probably cost the earth.

As for end cans, shorter will simply be noisier. And moneywise there is quite a big range to go through.
I have a short SP Engineering can which is not only noisy as feck when it is legal with the baffle in, but with the baffle removed it just takes the piss.

I now stick with my longer Quill exhaust which has a nice low down rumble when riding normally around streets, but does get a lot noisier in a nice way when you open up the throttle. They're not cheap though.

Some things to bear in mind though:
1. It may sound louder, and feel faster with an aftermarket exhaust, but it's all in your head, unless you really go to town on tuning up the whole engine. Not that it matters, the grin factor will still be there. I was never a fan of the original cans underwhelming sound either, and changed it almost immediately.
2. I personally would recommend using a K&N air filter as well if you change the exhaust system, giving the bike more air to breathe, it can be quite noticeable on throttle sharpness.
3. Regardless of what manufacturers say, a carb balance is recommended after it's all changed over, especially if you choose the K&N air filter too.
4. I've no doubt you've read on here about peoples woes undoing exhaust header bolts before. I had the same pain myself last year, the 6mm studs are either stuck solid to the nuts, or the stud will just fall apart in your hand. Give yourself half a chance of success by keep on using a spray penetrating oil way before you even think about removing them....like now for instance....to help loosen any rust that will cause issues.
5. As for exhaust systems, plug or Bluetooth a phone/laptop/tablet into a speaker system, and look on YouTube, as there are loads of Fazers on there to give you an idea of sounds, but you need a good sound system to hear them properly.

« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 06:54:34 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2019, 06:43:50 am »
Mine are on YouTube, but it won't let me put the links on here, keeps saying "error"?

Copy and paste onto YouTube:
Yamaha FZS600 with Quill race can

Yamaha FZS600 with SP Engineering Moto GP exhaust can
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 06:50:35 am by darrsi »

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2019, 04:13:33 pm »
Wotever about cans, air filter etc, stainless steel downpipes are the biz..!   .I got mine secondhand for 100 E on ebay. The original ones just rot away.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25085.0;attach=35329;image

:rollin

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2019, 07:53:47 pm »
redmanden, if you want to keep it looking std look then your first Delkevic pipes option in my opinion looks the best & also has removable baffle if you wanna have it a bit more nicer sound, but remember to balance your carbs after fitting. 

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2019, 10:31:29 pm »
Mind u...i had to take the ENGINE OUT in order to remove the old studs and put in the nice new S/S ones... :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2019, 10:05:58 am »
Mind u...i had to take the ENGINE OUT in order to remove the old studs and put in the nice new S/S ones... :eek

After chatting with my mechanic at the time he said that Yamaha realized that the 6mm studs were causing issues so with later bikes they made them 8mm, but i think it's just where they are taking the brunt of the elements combined with the hot/cold scenario that it's still inevitable that people will have problems dismantling them if they're left untouched for a long time.
In hindsight it would make perfect sense to undo the the header nuts once or twice a year to clean and grease them up to avoid any trouble, but obviously that is not normal behaviour to most people.
The 8mm studs still seize too as well, but probably don't shear so easily as the 6mm ones.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2019, 10:09:09 pm »
Great tips guys thanks.

I knew about the exhaust bolt problem. I’ve been applying some penetrating oil with a pipette every evening but I’m not hopeful they’re gonna come out cleanly. They look completely corroded.

So as I understand Delkevic supply with a full gasket set to fit their exhaust but not new bolts, I’ll need to order something like this: https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-98-03-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Stud-Set-/332608748867?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

And I will also need some kind of exhaust fitting paste.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2019, 10:20:15 pm »
Great tips guys thanks.

I knew about the exhaust bolt problem. I’ve been applying some penetrating oil with a pipette every evening
That is what I did - you can get right in there front and back although after 18 years of dry riding only they were not corroded but I was not going to take any chances. I am still on 21 year old OEM pipes with a few small holes in the collector area that I have filled with JB weld heat putty.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
Great tips guys thanks.

I knew about the exhaust bolt problem. I’ve been applying some penetrating oil with a pipette every evening
That is what I did - you can get right in there front and back although after 18 years of dry riding only they were not corroded but I was not going to take any chances. I am still on 21 year old OEM pipes with a few small holes in the collector area that I have filled with JB weld heat putty.   
People fit dome nuts - or acorn nuts to close up the threads
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2019, 11:30:57 pm »
I put Delkevic down pipes on mine last month, old ones looked like swiss cheese. Sprayed LOTS of penetrating fluid on daily for a good few weeks before attempting it and used hexagonal sockets rather than the star type. Came off easily enough, outer ones were like new, inner two cylinders were a bit corroded and needed a bit more care but they came off without drama. Think I'm one of the lucky ones though, my bike has been pampered throughout her life, I'm the second owner, FYSH, garaged, 14k and had hardly seen rain when I got my mucky paws on her. Now on 19k, sees the odd shower and I'm servicing her myself. Delkevic pipes went on with little fuss, married up well with the stock can and frame attachment, only real arse ache I had was the supplied springs for holding the down pipes to the collector; they were strong as feck. Stretched off some of the tension on a gate post wall hook with mole grips and it was a bit easier to fit them. Put plenty of copper grease on the studs in case they ever have to come off again. I'd like a new can but that's down the list of priorities for now, getting her (and me) ready for a France trip and need full service parts, some decent waterproof textile riding kit, a tank bag and possibly a new set of throwovers. When I've some £ to spare I'll get a new can, like the look of the tri oval ones.
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2019, 12:56:37 pm »
I like the look of it, perhaps a little stubby at 320mm but they don't have a longer one. Again, I'm not about announcing my presence to the whole neighbouhood.
So what do you all have? It's hard to make a decision without hearing how it will sound on the bike. There's also £50 between the practical and the wishlist.

I have a Black Widow silencer, which has been on for about a year now. A stubby 230mm (carbon fibre/titanium), so not the noise/look you are wanting.
BUT... it still looks like new, build quality is superb, plus they have great customer service.

Has a removable baffle (same for the other size Cans), which offers 3 noise levels. IN = most noise reduction, OUT = loudest option least restrictive, or you cut off the end piece of the baffle, for an intermediate sound level. So you can decide what sound/noise level you like most. Remember IN for the MOT!  :D

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2019, 01:40:40 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end I went for the 'standard look' 450mm full exhaust kit from Delkevic for 280GBP delivered.

If I were to describe my opinion of the whole thing from ordering to fitment and finally the audible experience I could only say this: Chuffed.

Delivered quickly (I'm in Belgium and it cost an extra tenner). Whipped the old pipes off and put them next to the new Delkevic ones and i was alarmed as they were not exactly spaced the same. Was about half a pipe diameter out on the inner 2 pipes. In the end the Delkevic ones are actually a better fit than my standard ones. No strong arm needed to get them into place.

Came with gaskets and exhaust sealant so thumbs up for that.

As for my own exhaust studs, something of an Achilles heel of the Fazer, I went for a mix of transmission fluid and acetone, applied with a pipette on a warm engine where possible repeatedly for 6 days beforehand. The nuts came off OK. I tried the 2 nut stud extractor method on an outer stud but it just started to strip the thread. In the end I opted to just clean up the threads thoroughly with brake cleaner and a toothbrush, not happy till I could put the original nuts on by hand till the bottom of the threads so I knew it was all running clean.

I have some new domed nuts on order which I will put on with copper grease. I couldn't help myself though and fitted the new exhaust with the old nuts for now:
Imgur

Sounds..........GREAT. a low rumble, not loud but just rumbly. I've got the baffle in of course.

A happy foccer. If I could make one suggestion to Delkevic it would be that they include 8 domed stainless nuts with their product so I could have a nice shiny finish but this is purely cosmetic.

They also gave me 16 Delkevic stickers, a tad overkill but hey, now my kids bunk beds are sponsored by Delkevic, that's gotta be good right?

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
Result

StuartGSXR

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2019, 04:33:06 pm »
Mine already has had the downpipes changed so I invested in a Lextek link pipe and slip on with a carbon end.

Really good value for money.

Saregon

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2019, 11:33:09 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end I went for the 'standard look' 450mm full exhaust kit from Delkevic for 280GBP delivered.

I'm looking at the same system for mine. Don't suppose you could post or pm a pic of how it looks on your bike? Especially the silencer would be Nice to see

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2019, 03:51:46 pm »
"... a mix of transmission fluid and acetone, applied with a pipette on a warm engine..."

Sounds like something Nigella Lawson would say  :lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 22 August 2019, 09:13:18 pm »
I fitted delkaevic downpipes to my last one and will get some for my current one.
This is the end ca I fitted. Good sound without being offensive to the neighbours

https://delkevic.co.uk/silencer-kits/Yamaha/FZS600%20FAZER%20/1999/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-1998-2003-350mm-oval-stainless-bsau-silencer-exhaust-kit.html
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2019, 06:07:20 am »
Hi mate, sorry for the week or so to reply. Couple of pics and a short vid as requested:

https://imgur.com/gallery/7KP4wRW

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2019, 07:48:35 pm »
This is my choice..... :b

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2019, 07:40:19 pm »
just out of interest which years had 6 mm header bolts and which had the 8 mm ?

need to remove mine at some point to do sump pan

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2019, 10:12:03 pm »
All years had 6 mm studs & nuts.

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2019, 07:55:30 pm »

[/size]
ah right so looking at darsi's post, must have meant after the fzs600 era , 8 mm studs and nuts ?

After chatting with my mechanic at the time he said that Yamaha realized that the 6mm studs were causing issues so with later bikes they made them 8mm, but i think it's just where they are taking the brunt of the elements combined with the hot/cold scenario that it's still inevitable that people will have problems dismantling them if they're left untouched for a long time.
[/size]In hindsight it would make perfect sense to undo the the header nuts once or twice a year to clean and grease them up to avoid any trouble, but obviously that is not normal behaviour to most people.The 8mm studs still seize too as well, but probably don't shear so easily as the 6mm ones.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2019, 09:56:38 pm »

ah right so looking at darsi's post, must have meant after the fzs600 era , 8 mm studs and nuts ?

In hindsight it would make perfect sense to undo the the header nuts once or twice a year to clean and grease them up to avoid any trouble, but obviously that is not normal behaviour to most people.The 8mm studs still seize too as well, but probably don't shear so easily as the 6mm ones.

If Yamaha did change them to 8 mm then they didn't change the studs / nuts or cylinder head part numbers on their parts system for the FZS600.