Date: 16-04-24  Time: 22:45 pm

Author Topic: changing air filter  (Read 1265 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
changing air filter
« on: 28 February 2022, 11:18:19 am »
Hi all, the haynes manual says to remove the fuel tank in the process of changing the air filter , do you have to completely remove it ? or if you lift up the tank on its rear hinge and support it as upright as possible can you change filter without complete removal ?

as a secondary question is there any noticeable difference to say K&N over OEM  filters apart from money ?
« Last Edit: 28 February 2022, 11:30:25 am by butthead »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: changing air filter
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2022, 12:11:48 pm »
On my FZ6, it's enough to raise the front of the tank and prop it up.

Also, frankly, unless you're going to be racing, most people aren't ever going to notice the difference between different filters (personally I use HiFlo brand which work fine and are a lot cheaper).

Theoretically, IIRC K&N filters are reusable, so you might eventually save money in the long run, but that doesn't count the time spent reoiling them...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2022, 12:25:32 pm »
I noticed a difference immediately when I put my K&N filter on. Nothing to do with power, just more responsive on the throttle.
I clean it once a year using warm water and washing detergent powder, let it dry naturally on a warm sunny day, then lightly oil it with the proper K&N Oil Spray. I'm still on my first can of spray and had the filter for a few years now, so not expensive at all. And it will be the last filter you ever buy for the bike.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2022, 01:54:35 pm »
Hi all, the haynes manual says to remove the fuel tank in the process of changing the air filter , do you have to completely remove it ? or if you lift up the tank on its rear hinge and support it as upright as possible can you change filter without complete removal ?

as a secondary question is there any noticeable difference to say K&N over OEM  filters apart from money ?

On the FZS600 you dont have to remove the tank, but its easier if you do. It is the back of the tank that gets in the way when trying to remove the rubber cover above the airbox.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2022, 05:39:46 pm »
yes mines the fzs600 box eye 2001, saw a you tube video on the later 2003 variant , he removed the tank but wasnt sure if the set up was identical to mine , i know what you mean now by the flexi cover and it would be made awkward leaving the tank on   

thanks everyone
« Last Edit: 28 February 2022, 05:40:26 pm by butthead »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2022, 09:25:08 am »
I noticed a difference immediately when I put my K&N filter on. Nothing to do with power, just more responsive on the throttle.
I clean it once a year using warm water and washing detergent powder, let it dry naturally on a warm sunny day, then lightly oil it with the proper K&N Oil Spray. I'm still on my first can of spray and had the filter for a few years now, so not expensive at all. And it will be the last filter you ever buy for the bike.

I went K&N mainly to save hassle of changing it every year or sooner.  45k miles of untouched use is great :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)