Date: 25-04-24  Time: 15:06 pm

Author Topic: NO FREE PLAY  (Read 934 times)

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
NO FREE PLAY
« on: 24 May 2019, 01:41:29 pm »
Hi all u experts...just got new WEMOTO throttle cables for Fazer 600 5DMC (2001)... there is no free play.. even with all adjustment at max...am I missing summat...??!!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: NO FREE PLAY
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2019, 06:21:24 pm »
Make sure you route the new cable the exact same way as the old cable and make sure the adjuster at the grip and the adjuster at the carb are turned all the way in for maximum slack. Turning the adjusters out will tighten it. Also make sure you have the cable hooked up the correct way at the grip and at the carb. If that's all correct and there's still no free play compare the length of the new cable to the old one side by side. They should be the same length

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2019, 07:40:34 pm »
Hi Dude
Thanks for the advice....theres no adjustment left at either end...the cables are routed correctly and the right way round...annoying, the bike is driving OK but throttle feels tight. I didn't check the new cables against the old ones...cant face taking carbs off (AGAIN)...! :eek

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2019, 12:42:16 am »
You're saying the revs are staying high on your other thread and that the throttle cable is too tight on this thread so the two problems are probably related. You could try disconnecting the throttle cable at the handlebar and then reach your hand into the middle of the carb and rev the engine with the throttle cable disconnected and see if the revs drop down the way they should

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2019, 11:10:59 am »
Hi Again Dude..
thanks for the advice...i checked the throttle response without the cables and still had the delay in revs falling back....but since i opened up the carbs and carefully checked the sliders and needles...all seems to be OK...!  I'm hoping that the throttle cables will loosen up a bit in time and give me a bit more free play, but they are snapping back OK and closing all the way...
weather in Ireland is warm and dry...time to thrash  :lol

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2019, 01:37:04 pm »
ERK...
Turns out there was no need to change the throttle cables...the problem i was having was carb related and not the cables...we live and learn...I even bought TWO new throttle cable sets by mistake... :rolleyes

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 08:00:03 pm »
Just to close FREE PLAY issue, I had to readjust the throttle cables to take up slack. They stretched a bit after a few days. ;)