Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: Starter circuit..  (Read 696 times)

Ergzzz

• Cager in Training
  • Spade David
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX 1200
    • View Profile
Starter circuit..
« on: 22 May 2019, 10:08:19 am »
hello foccers,

i was doing some electrics testing on my 1998 fzs 600 and was wondering if anyone had tested their starter circuit cut-off relay, what results they got from it?

i was following the instructions from the Haynes manual but got different results, my bike starts and runs fine i am just after some research and investigation as is my inquisitive nature.

thank you all xx
Divad Edaps

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Starter circuit..
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2019, 08:20:07 pm »
I haven't tested one so I have no results for you but if you look at the wiring diagram in the Yamaha manual http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8
you can see the components that are inside the starting cut off relay so that's enough to know what results should be. There's 4 diodes, 2 relays and 1 resistor so if you know how to test those components and you know how to figure out what pin is what you can test the starting cut off relay.

For the diodes, diodes allow current to flow in one direction and block it in the other. For the diode to conduct it has to be forward bias that just means that the anode side has to be more positive than the cathode side. For a silicon diode it has to be forward bias by 0.6V for it to conduct current. If you put your multimeter to the diode test and put the red lead on the anode side of the diode and the black lead on the cathode side you should see 0.6V or 600mV on the meter. Then repeat the test but reverse the leads and you should see OL or something like that showing the diode is blocking current flow in the opposite direction. There's a good link on testing diodes https://www.fluke.com/en-ie/learn/best-practices/test-tools-basics/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes-using-a-digital-multimeter

For the relay you can put battery positive to one side of the control side of the relay, then battery negative to the other side and put your multimeter to continuity and connect it to the switched side of the relay and it should beep. Then for the resistor just put the multimeter to resistance and take the reading.

If you're not sure what pins are what look at the Yamaha wiring diagram. There's a picture of the wiring harness connector above the cut out relay that shows the location of the pins. The picture shows the pin layout as if you disconnected the harness connector and you where looking down on the open end of the connector with the wires hanging down beneath. In the diagram you can see a slot cut out of the connector that shows the tab that locks the connector together so that can help you orientate the connector so that the colours in the diagram match the way you're looking at the connector. The starting cut out relay is the female side of that connector so the pins will be the opposite of the male side shown in the diagram. Hopefully that makes sense. Probably not but I tried :lol

Ergzzz

• Cager in Training
  • Spade David
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX 1200
    • View Profile
Re: Starter circuit..
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2019, 10:28:42 am »
Very helpful, thanks  :D xx
Divad Edaps