Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:01 am

Author Topic: FZ1 Lennon's Mirror Eliminators  (Read 908 times)

jointbeaker

• Cager in Training
  • motorcycle enthusiast and 3d designer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Shapeways Storefront
FZ1 Lennon's Mirror Eliminators
« on: 18 May 2019, 04:40:38 pm »
Morning - I made my first few posts in the 'Introduction' forum, and wanted to share these too.

My name is Mark Lennon, and I'm a packaging designer by trade. I also happen to love our fazers. This past year, I picked up a '09 faired FZ1, and began designing my own mirror block off plates. Over the past 8 months or so....I've gotten them to a point where I'm happy, and have began selling them online thru a 3d print house called Shapeways.

I've got a thread made over on the US forum (FZ1OA) but thought it'd be in my interest to reach out over here too. I didn't see any vendor forums or anything, so if a moderator says this isn't the right spot to post, please let me know.

I'll post a few photos below. Some of the 3d design process, some printed parts, and some parts other users have ordered, and painted...

Cheers. Mark
the Lennon Mirror Eliminator guy...

jointbeaker

• Cager in Training
  • motorcycle enthusiast and 3d designer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Shapeways Storefront
Re: FZ1 Lennon's Mirror Eliminators
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 04:54:41 pm »
I've got two threads to look thru:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146853

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146337

and some photos of the process: Design worked with a Romer 3d scanner, and designed in Solidworks 2019. Printed using Shapeways, in either New York, or Eindhoven Netherlands...

Cheers.

scanned a fairing in 3d

draw on top of the scan data to make the mirror delete plate

finish up the concept, and order half a dozen different prints over the next six months...

and end up with these:

I just released them for sale in the US a little over a month ago, and have gotten good feedback so far. One customer paint matched his set, and it turned out looking nice.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.  :D

Cheers
mark
the Lennon Mirror Eliminator guy...

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Lennon's Mirror Eliminators
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2019, 12:42:20 am »
Nice work Mark, you've made a good job of blending the three adjoining surfaces together and created a part that's a printable watertight model. Good luck with the product.  :thumbup
I'm not sure if it's an improvement on the original or not, for me I like either a fully naked or a complete fairing as an aesthetic, but as I don't own a FZ1, my view really doesn't count for anything!  :)

However, I think your on to something- mass customisation is the way forward, we've seen it in the automotive market, the customer buys the basic model then adds the extras they want to complete the final package.

I think it's definitely the way forward and more than likely the way the big manufacturers are heading.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2019, 12:43:08 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.