Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:26 am

Author Topic: Insurance is weird  (Read 2468 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Insurance is weird
« on: 16 May 2019, 08:25:55 pm »
Last years insurance was apparently £184
New quote from them recently was £217

Then i get an email from The Bike Insurer who had my details, quoting me £99 but with £825 excess, for a bike i’ve valued realistically at £1000.

The next quote on The Bike Insurer site was £128 with £100 excess.........sorted.

But i really don’t get how they get to all these different and random figures.......especially the one for £7,407.99, or £8,296.96 if paid with instalments. :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance is weird
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2019, 08:37:50 pm »
They have a big hat with random prices written on bits of paper ;-)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2019, 10:45:26 pm »
I had a bit of a surprise renewing my (car) insurance. When I used a comparison site two years ago I had a pending speeding prosecution, so I put this into the comparison site to get quotes. As it happened, I took a speeding awareness course, so no conviction and no points.
This year I got a good deal with a new insurer, but they've just emailed me accusing me of lying by saying I don't have any convictions. 'We are aware you previously used a comparison site inputting alternative information'. They threatened to cancel my policy. I've had to send them a code to check my dvla license details.
So beware. Big Brother is watching you. Be careful what you input to comparison sites, even for a laugh.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2019, 06:27:57 am »
I had a bit of a surprise renewing my (car) insurance. When I used a comparison site two years ago I had a pending speeding prosecution, so I put this into the comparison site to get quotes. As it happened, I took a speeding awareness course, so no conviction and no points.
This year I got a good deal with a new insurer, but they've just emailed me accusing me of lying by saying I don't have any convictions. 'We are aware you previously used a comparison site inputting alternative information'. They threatened to cancel my policy. I've had to send them a code to check my dvla license details.
So beware. Big Brother is watching you. Be careful what you input to comparison sites, even for a laugh.

The moment you do a search online it lights up the internet and insurance companies become aware that you're looking, and i've now learned that the later you search nearer the end date the prices can actually rise because they know you're desperate to get it sorted.

Talking of big brother, i recently bought a new mobile (very) smart phone and i was sitting chatting to a colleague in our rest room at lunch time during the week and it suddenly lit up and started copying everything i was saying in writing on the screen without me even touching it!
Then it started talking to me saying it wasn't too sure that it understood my command!!!
Oh well, i s'pose i have something to chat to if i'm ever bored.  :lol [size=78%] [/size]

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2019, 07:16:19 am »

The moment you do a search online it lights up the internet and insurance companies become aware that you're looking, and i've now learned that the later you search nearer the end date the prices can actually rise because they know you're desperate to get it sorted.

Talking of big brother, i recently bought a new mobile (very) smart phone and i was sitting chatting to a colleague in our rest room at lunch time during the week and it suddenly lit up and started copying everything i was saying in writing on the screen without me even touching it!
Then it started talking to me saying it wasn't too sure that it understood my command!!!
Oh well, i s'pose i have something to chat to if i'm ever bored.  :lol
There's only one cure for big brother . . .
« Last Edit: 17 May 2019, 07:18:03 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2019, 09:50:49 am »
the later you search nearer the end date the prices can actually rise because they know you're desperate to get it sorted.
Apparently the optimum time to get the lowest quote is 3 weeks before renewal.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2019, 10:01:34 am »
i've now learned that the later you search nearer the end date the prices can actually rise because they know you're desperate to get it sorted.
That is a good tip.  :thumbup
The thing with comparison sites is that most are owned by insurance companies themselves and within the quotes returned many insurance brands you see are owned by the same insurance parent company, so out of the 15 results you may only actually be looking at a handful of parent companies. And its the parent company that holds your info.
For instance

Admiral Group owns (at least )
Confused
Diamond
Elephant.
My bike insurance only went up by £9 at renewal letter and as it was the cheapest I could find last year I did not bother looking elsewhere. What a difference and a change than them trying it on with a £90 increase and me having to do the insurance "dance" to eventually leave them and go with another. Only to find that the next year it happends again and the ofirst one is now the cheapest !.
I wonder if it has something to do with controlling the risk on their books so they look and think they have too much of one risk and so hike the price up for it to cut down on the renewals for that risk, and if idiots take it out then that is ok too.   

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2019, 11:57:17 am »
Weirdest thing I had was putting my daughter on as a learner driver....price shot up as expected, then a few months later when I added my other daughter, also a learner, I got a refund because apparently two learners is less of a risk than one 🤔

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2019, 11:53:08 pm »
I wonder if it has something to do with controlling the risk on their books so they look and think they have too much of one risk and so hike the price up for it to cut down on the renewals for that risk, and if idiots take it out then that is ok too.
Could I please refer you to my earlier post  :lol

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2019, 11:14:49 am »
Don't forget to use a cashback site as well !!!
I recently renewed my 2 car insurance with Aviva as they are the first company I have used in 50 years who did not inflate my renewal quote.

A couple of insurance WTFs I remember.......................... I took a call from one insurer accusing me of falsifying my details because I claimed to have 20+ years NCD but my online application stated only 9 years. I had to delicately point out to the moron on the phone that their online form only had the options 0 years to 9 years !!!!
Another time I was quoted £40 a year more to leave my car in a locked garage rather than the previous year which included "Use for travel to and from work"   ?????????
Go figure.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2019, 12:03:01 pm »

I recently renewed my 2 car insurance with Aviva as they are the first company I have used in 50 years who did not inflate my renewal quote.
I think it may of had something to do with insurance companies now have to tell you what you paid last year and maybe its starting to have an effect as more people are swapping. My worry is that it will just put up renewals as at the moment the people that just auto renew are subsiding me.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2019, 01:52:50 pm »

I think it may of had something to do with insurance companies now have to tell you what you paid last year and maybe its starting to have an effect as more people are swapping. My worry is that it will just put up renewals as at the moment the people that just auto renew are subsiding me.

As handy as it might be, as i was told the other day it is done to make sure people don’t drive uninsured because they forgot to renew, the chances are if you do let the auto renew happen without shopping around there’s a VERY high chance you are being totally mugged off.
You simply will not be quoted less than last year for example, it just won’t happen, even though they have all your details and very little needs to be done other than take your money.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2019, 03:36:23 pm »

My insurance went down when I said bikes were on the drive not in garage..weird. I had insurance that stated when at home address must be in garage to be covered. bit of a pain if your in and out all day so I tried a quote saying they were kept on the drive way...cheaper..
I am sure they wont mind if I put them in the garage !

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2019, 05:03:37 pm »

My insurance went down when I said bikes were on the drive not in garage..weird. I had insurance that stated when at home address must be in garage to be covered.

:agree

I had exactly the same a few years ago. There was even one company that asked about windows in the garage and, as mine has a window, refused to accept it as a garage.

With my cars, I always say its kept in the road rather than on the drive as it is cheaper too.

And one things most people don't realise, add class 1 business use to your car (or bike) and the policy gets cheaper too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2019, 02:58:36 pm »
Well mine is due next Sunday.... got my renewal through a few days ago.... up from £120 to £200 😱😱 for no reason whatsoever!
Rang them up to play the usual game only to be told theres 'no reason it's gone up' and theres 'nothing they can do about it' and they happily cancelled the renewal then and there!
So looks like I have to spend the next week trying to  find a decent price 😥😥

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2019, 04:07:50 pm »
Well mine is due next Sunday.... got my renewal through a few days ago.... up from £120 to £200 😱😱 for no reason whatsoever!
Rang them up to play the usual game only to be told theres 'no reason it's gone up' and theres 'nothing they can do about it' and they happily cancelled the renewal then and there!

Try this site:
https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2019, 05:18:43 pm »

Try this site:

Cheers Darrsi but had a look and that's the exact same site as Mcn compared just in different colours Haha
Carol nash seems to be cheapest

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2019, 10:21:33 am »

Try this site:

Cheers Darrsi but had a look and that's the exact same site as Mcn compared just in different colours Haha
Carol nash seems to be cheapest

They're who just insured me through this site. They were much cheaper than everyone else.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2019, 06:06:14 pm »
Carole Nash were a joke for me. £920 for my BMW is what they quoted whereas I got it and my Triumph on one policy for £220 with Bennetts.
They weren’t the outright cheapest but best value policy.