Date: 22-05-19  Time: 17:37 PM

Author Topic: None fazer Question (xj900f Igniter box)  (Read 133 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
None fazer Question (xj900f Igniter box)
« on: 15 May 2019, 07:21:17 PM »
Hi  fellas n burds recently bought an xj900f to have a bit of a project to go at got it running last night then promptly burned out the igniter box (feckin melted) do any of you guys have any expierience of this before or any idea what may be the cause of this thanks in advance any ideas /info greatfully recieved cheers
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: None fazer Question (xj900f Igniter box)
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
A few things can cause it poor earth allowing back feeding through the Ignitor, power connected to an earth on the ignitor or something plugged into the wrong place in the loom. Check the loom very carefully for damage and/or evidence of melted wires, ensure all the earths are good and check that everything is plugged into the correct place (wires going in match wires coming out) There are a few plugs which are the same size, but are totally different circuits.

Trebus

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
The igniter boxes on these are a bit fragile but are repairable. The transistors can be replaced by hand if you know what you’re doing. Normal failure mode is firing on 2.

As suggested, have a check through the wiring for any corrosion which will cause high resistance.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2019, 06:55:04 PM »
I'd say unfazed is on the money. If it's a project bike that hasn't run in a while it makes sense that a ground might have been missed or the wrong connectors were plugged together. Another possibility could be that a component in the ignitor failed short so too much current flowed but that seems less likely.

The igniter boxes on these are a bit fragile but are repairable. The transistors can be replaced by hand if you know what you’re doing. Normal failure mode is firing on 2.

As suggested, have a check through the wiring for any corrosion which will cause high resistance.
I don't think he's looking for corrosion. I think he's looking for signs of excessive current flow so burnt/melted connectors or wires. If the problem was caused by plugging the wrong connectors together or missing a ground the wiring could be damaged as well as the ignitor :'(