Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:59 pm

Author Topic: YAMAHA FAZER 600 2002 Gearbox/ Clutch issues  (Read 1755 times)

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
YAMAHA FAZER 600 2002 Gearbox/ Clutch issues
« on: 12 May 2019, 12:41:18 pm »
Hi all, I’ve got an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP!
[size=78%][/size]
[/size][size=78%][/size]I’m a bit stumped by this issue. This being that about 80% of the time to go upward from 2nd gear I have do repeatedly push the gear lever up until it goes in. Whilst I’m pushing it feels like I’m at the highest gear and it doesn’t allow me to go any higher. Can’t force it either. But after 5 tries it shifts. Revving it does nothing. It had this issue just with 3rd, but when I put a new clutch in the issue stopped altogether. 200 miles later, it’s started again. Also works immediately if I downshift then upshift again. Only from 2nd onwards but the worst is 2nd to 3rd. [size=78%][/size][/color][/size]What could it be? Hopefully doesn’t need a rebuild! Bike has 41,000 miles on it. [/color][/size]There is some free play in the gear lever shaft too don’t know if that is normal. (Side to side)[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]It now does it in 3-4 too but not as often. To clarify the lever feels like it has nowhere to go. Like it’s in the highest gear.[/color][/size]Hoping it not to be an engine tear down thing as driving to the netherlands on the 28th!![/color][/size]Any help would be really appreciated thank you [/color]
[/size]____________________
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 02:13:16 pm by 10kovako »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: YAMAHA FAZER 600 2002 Gearbox/ Clutch issues
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 02:20:51 pm »

Firstly, check the clutch is correctly adjusted. ;)
Second gear is the Fazer’s Achilles’ heel.
Not only is the selector for 2nd is prone to wear which makes engagement a hit-or-miss affair, but the mechanism that rotates the selector drum is poorly designed: part of the gear shift shaft can jam against the pins of the drum.
From your description it sounds as though the latter may be what’s affecting your bike.
There’s a longwinded account here
unfortunately it looks as though my image hosting service is down at the moment. If it doesn’t come back in a few days I’ll have to find another and re-link. The GIF works ok, that and the description may help.
Looking on the bright side, if this does turn out to be the issue, it's an easier fix than changing the drum and selector forks.

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2019, 03:08:54 pm »
Okay, so that would affect the gear change from 2-3rd. Because 1-2nd is not an issue. It has also crept up to the 3-4gears but less often. When the bike is on the centre stand with the tyre in the air it changes gears without an issue too which is a bit strange. But once I hit the road. Nope

daviee

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
the selector drum has a spring loaded roller type locator to locate the gear drum in the right position my guess is the spring has snapped and alowing the drum to move out of line with the selector shaft https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4162064/fzs600-fazer-5dm4-1999-070-a/shift-cam-fork
13 14 15 are the parts that hold the selector drum in place in each gear

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2019, 06:31:04 pm »

Sorry, didn't read your first post carefully enough. You're correct, that wouldn't be so likely to affect higher gears, first to second is the one that shows the issue first because the neutral detent requires the drum to be rotated further than between the other gears.
If the clutch was dragging you'd notice difficulty getting between 1st and neutral, yet it's odd that replacing the clutch seemed to fix it temporarily.
It might be worth taking the clutch cover off and taking a closer look and see if you can spot what is happening.
By side to side play in the gear shaft do you mean axial? A bit of radial slop is normal, but if the shaft is able to move too far to the left side of the engine it could result in the same collision with the pins of the selector drum that I had. And that might account for it working some of the time and not others.
Thinking about it, a suitable washer on the shaft to keep it a millimetre further away would have fixed my issue a lot easier.   :lol

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 07:58:17 pm »
With the clutch is the opposite! I pop it in accidentally now all the time without even engaging the clutch. A slight bump in the road will do that!

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 07:59:04 pm »
the selector drum has a spring loaded roller type locator to locate the gear drum in the right position my guess is the spring has snapped and alowing the drum to move out of line with the selector shaft https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4162064/fzs600-fazer-5dm4-1999-070-a/shift-cam-fork
13 14 15 are the parts that hold the selector drum in place in each gear

I’ll ask him tomorrow. Is that an engine split job or could it just be done with the clutch cover/ clutch removed?

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 08:09:36 pm »

Sorry, didn't read your first post carefully enough. You're correct, that wouldn't be so likely to affect higher gears, first to second is the one that shows the issue first because the neutral detent requires the drum to be rotated further than between the other gears.
If the clutch was dragging you'd notice difficulty getting between 1st and neutral, yet it's odd that replacing the clutch seemed to fix it temporarily.
It might be worth taking the clutch cover off and taking a closer look and see if you can spot what is happening.
By side to side play in the gear shaft do you mean axial? A bit of radial slop is normal, but if the shaft is able to move too far to the left side of the engine it could result in the same collision with the pins of the selector drum that I had. And that might account for it working some of the time and not others.
Thinking about it, a suitable washer on the shaft to keep it a millimetre further away would have fixed my issue a lot easier.   :lol

Also it’s just probably 1mom[size=78%] of freeplay side so side when I pull/ push the gear lever by hand.[/size]

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2019, 08:40:26 pm »
It sounds like the detent spring has broken, remove the clutch cover and you should be able to see, unfortunately replacing it  means removing the clutch basket to get to it. See pic
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 08:44:02 pm by unfazed »

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
It sounds like the detent spring has broken, remove the clutch cover and you should be able to see, unfortunately replacing it  means removing the clutch basket to get to it. See pic

Okay that’s not too bad! At least not an engine out job! I believe I need to replace the clutch basket anyway as it has some in/ out play if I push and pull from the top and bottom. Or is this normal?

Thanks for the help again!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2019, 08:19:47 am »
With the clutch is the opposite! I pop it in accidentally now all the time without even engaging the clutch. A slight bump in the road will do that!
OK, I'm in agreement with everyone saying the detent spring now. :)

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2019, 12:41:10 pm »

Due to the ease of getting neutral? I’ll take a look in about 2 hrs and will post a picture!

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2019, 12:42:33 pm »

Due to the ease of getting neutral?
Will take a look at it soon, and will post an update with a photo!